The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
do you 2 almost ALWAYS get digital Harsh vocals in sessions you have to mix?
Old 4th May 2009
Lives for gear

do you 2 almost ALWAYS get digital Harsh vocals in sessions you have to mix?

Ok well this is driving me crazy!!! the last 4 session i got , all vocals sounded Extremely harsh!! like Digital and brittle, do you also get session recorded outside sounding like that?
is it just a week of bad luck? I mean I'm not expecting everyone to record to tape but at least not to over drive the pre using a thin ass chinese mic and rolling of everything at 280hrtz... I mean even with outboard gear and analog stuff I can never make it sound the way it could if recorded right
Old 4th May 2009
Lives for gear

It sounds to me like it will be the mic rather than the recording medium. Digital recordings can sound just as tubby and lush as analogue if done properly.

IMO the non-tube SE mics sound as you describe. The z5600's and the gemini are a totally different ball-game.

If they have indeed rolled-off at 280Hz then good luck! Otherwise I would have thought it would be EQable.

I must admit, I get a little rush of apprehension every time I open a new mix project that was tracked elsewhere. You never know what disaster awaits if you don't know the place it came from.
Old 5th May 2009
Lives for gear

yeah I guess it's usually the room and the mic, something c\that recording to tape could have helped a little but since it's digital it gives it to you like it is with all the flaws.
I got a session recorded with a TLM 103 yesterday and boy...does it sound muddy and harsh at the same time!!!
Old 5th May 2009
Lives for gear
I had a similar problem (unfixable harshness), nebula did a really nice job smoothing it (placed multiple preamp emulations)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search