The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Amek 9098 EQ / Preamp
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Addict

Amek 9098 EQ / Preamp

How about the 9098 EQ / Preamp ? Has anyone experience with it ? They´ve gotten pretty cheap in the last couple of months.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 1st August 2005
Mindreader

Pretty good for the price nowadays I'd say, especially if you pick up a used one
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevvyB
Pretty good for the price nowadays I'd say, especially if you pick up a used one
How´s the sound of the pre ? Neutral I´d suspect, huh ?

Thanksalot,
Bill
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

I can't speak for the EQ, but I've used the two-channel pre a few times and I really like it. It's very hard and masculine-sounding. I've had success using it on kick drum, snare drum, and certain acoustic guitars.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear
heard the 9098 EQ for the first time in a studio the other day, and have to say i liked it. the high end was very nice.
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

If the price is $800 or less its a pretty good buy, the EQ is useful, it "cuts" in a nice analog kind of way that kind of makes you want to dfegad on the Oxford EQ.

Although for that price you could get a Speck Mic Pre and EQ which would probably kick the Amek's ass up and down the court.

Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

I bought 3 when they first came out.
Single rack space, pre + eq, touted as Neve-like modules.
A couple of years later I sold 2 of them. The third failed.
There are better choices available these days.
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

we use the pre all the time, many sluts think it sucks.. I personally think it's very usable, but then again I have very limited experience with the other big brother pre's.
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz
There are better choices available these days.
What preamp would you prefer for around € 900.- (or 1800.- for two channels) ?
Cheers,

Bill
Old 1st August 2005
totally agree it's very hard sounding, if that's what you want that's what you're going to get ...

not my cup of tea personally but it's definitely usable
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

Pres are ok, nothing to write home about...quiet clean but not pretty.

The EQ on the other hand with Sheen and Glow modes switched in can be very musical. One reason they have gotten cheap is because they fail over time. Usually need to be recapped. I had a pair years ago and they started to punk out after about two years, which is a very Amek-esque trait.

I prefer the original -- repeat ORIGINAL -- Focusrite ISA110 console modules. I like the pre better, and the EQ is kick-ass. Plus it has transformers. They have their issues, too, as far as failed switches, etc. But if you can find a racked pair of refurbished ones, they a sweet! thumbsup
Old 1st August 2005
Although for that price you could get a Speck Mic Pre and EQ which would probably kick the Amek's ass up and down the court.

[/QUOTE]

The Speck is not even remotely in the league of the Amek, especially the eq which
is really nice. I have the Ameks the ,Dakings , ISA 110s NSEQ's and Specks. The 9098 is a great piece
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Addict

We did a shoot out awhile back with the Daking,9098, SSL X Logic CS, U Audio 6176, Midas (dont recall model nr but dual pre + eq in 1 U) and the CIB. Recorded mainly vocals but also some ac.guit and shakers/eggs.

The 9098 were my favorite most of the times. It might be a bit hyped in the highs but I like that. Very upfront.
My partner thinks the top end sounds like a badly encoded mp3. IMO he couldnt be more wrong. I think he spent too many years on the road playing bass standing next to the drummer

Im gonna get flamed for this, but consider you´ll get 3 9098´s for the price of one SSL CS:
The SSL also sounded very good, didnt have the same "sparkle". Except from that they were Quite similiar IMHO.

Daking were boring and I were quite disapointed. Sounded dull and the bottom were a bit "flaky".

The 6176 clipped easily, might have been something wrong with it, but I heard the same from a couple of friends. Useless, at least for me.

CIB, From what I understand the CIB is a 9098 with comp/limiter. But somehow I tend to reach for the 9098 when I record Vocals.
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Nut

Chandler tg-2 for guits. Neve 1272 for vox, guit, bass, skins.

Both in the 1800 price range.
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Guru

I bought one after Ty Ford recommended the combo with the Gefell M900 (he has a review about it). I love the M900, but I exchanged the pre for a Hardy M1, much better. The Amek is good, the eq very powerful, though a tad clinical.

What I didn't like was that the pre had a bit of a spongyness to it, best I can describe.
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Addict

Thank you all for your replies. thumpsup The picture I get is somewhat distracting though (as always when dealing with opinions). I guess I just have to make a little shootout, if I get the possibility to bring all those pres in the same room. I´ll let you know !

Cheers,
Bill
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billster
What preamp would you prefer for around € 900.- (or 1800.- for two channels) ?
Cheers,

Bill
I believe Great River and John Hardy make a dual mono pre amp in your price range. The Chandler TG-2 is very close to that price.
Otherwise, I would look for a used 2 channel pre amp in that price range.

You can also look into the API lunchbox...4 space lunchbox and start with a pair of 512s.
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz
You can also look into the API lunchbox...4 space lunchbox and start with a pair of 512s.
Tough to get in Germany. If you do you have to pay the price...thanks anyway. I´ll definately check out the Great River stuff as well as the TG-2.
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

That's what we did...Sold the 9098EQ and bought a TG2. I was finding myself using the EQ less and less.... but hardly ever used the pre. It was okay but for my ears sort of borring.
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

I would hold off the urge to spend your money on the 9098s.
Save up a little more.
Once you get into the $2,100. neighborhood there are better choices to be had.
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

I have a pair and use the pre's for drum over heads, bypassing the EQs. At mixdown, the EQs are nice for loud electric guitars where 421s or 57s were used. Not amazing but well worth the money they are going for today.
Old 12th July 2016
Here for the gear

Just to bring some comments forward and upto date abit, 11 years or so...
As well as others, iv been using the 9098 mic pre/eq for about 10 years now, its never been recapped, and still sounds great, with a very useable eq for lots of things, it is clear yes and it does suck every bit of info from your mics, But for bass if you want that really nice scooped crispness to it as well as being punchy without being muddy this is the BIZ.
Old 14th July 2016
Lives for gear

I like them. The EQ section particularly. Preamp nothing extraordinary but good all the same. Nice EQ- worth it for that part alone.
Old 20th June 2017
Allthough it is marketed as a "Neve: design the pre doesn't really have much to do with a Neve sound. Super clean and pristine, nor gritty or warm at all. I wouldn't use it for rock/pop music except mabye on kick drum or with a ribbon mic. but can be great for jazz drums or maybe classical settings...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search