The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What does everyone back up to?
Old 1st August 2005

What does everyone back up to?

I'm mainly doing multiple firewire drive backups (minimum three including one off-site) and DVDs...

hows about the rest of the GS community?

What do you guys think about the plethora of back-up formats and their potentional longevity?

Is anything 'safe' ???

Horror stories welcome....
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

Nothing is safe!!!

1) I go to a backup network drive after each session that is completely isolated and unpowered until time to backup.

2) At the end of the session, I backup to DVD, but I hear that the longevity there is not the greatest.
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

Same here, except for the firewire part...

Multiple Drive backups wit DVD hard copy
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

TWO HDS...

ONE DVD...

That's it for me. I would need two drives to be wiped out independently of each other and my DVD discs to go bad all at once in order for me to humping the pooch.

Anything is possible but I am not panicking anymore.

I personally will not trust ONLY HD's or ONLY DVD's. I am a paranoid schizophrenic.

P&B
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

I use the Maxtor One Touch 300 GB Firewire drive with 16MB of cache.

I have it setup where I just push the button on the front of the unit and it backs up my entire system drive.

Then after ever session I copy all the session files onto it. Very easy and fast, and for $300 it's worth it to get two of them.

Rob
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

firewire hard drive
internal "staging" backup drive
data mirrored

multiple backup storage sites
one in bank safe deposit
one with friend
one various places

Old 1st August 2005
Gear Maniac

Two hard drives and a DVD. I never use the same hard drive for more than one project(album, demo, etc.), and save my own copies of everything, so needless to say, I have a TON of hard drives currently in storage.
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Maniac

Network drive, FW drive, maybe DVD. I let the client take the drive and they are responsible at that point after a transportation grace period.

On my invoice it clearly states that the data is THE CLIENTS responsibility after the session is paid in full. I give them a 14 day grace period on the network drive, then it is rotated out as needed.
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

Norton Ghost 9.0

I have 4 x 200gb internal hard drives and an external 200 gb firewire.

internal 1) Win XP DAW
internal 2) DAW Data + Audio Files
internal 3) Win XP DAW (clone, offline,)
internal 4) DAW Data + Audio Files (clone, online, scheduled for daily backups)

external 5) DAW Data + Audio Files (manual backups weekly, stored offsite)

This way even if my XP drive fails in a session, I just plug in the power cable for the clone drive and away we go.

People backup their audio and data, but backing up the actual DAW, settings, plug ins, etc., can save you a whole lot of heartache.

I used to use a RAID array but Ghost is just more convenient in my experience.

Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riad
I use the Maxtor One Touch 300 GB Firewire drive with 16MB of cache.

I have it setup where I just push the button on the front of the unit and it backs up my entire system drive.

Then after ever session I copy all the session files onto it. Very easy and fast, and for $300 it's worth it to get two of them.

Rob
That's a hip system except every Maxtor drive I've used has died and their customer service is the worst in the business. I now make backups to 2 firewire drives from different manufacturers.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search