The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What is your "NICHE" music preference??
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Maniac

What is your "NICHE" music preference??

As usual ... HUGE apologies if this has come up before, but I have only been around here for a few months and haven't found this info on a search yet.

Basically thought it might be interesting to know what sort of music styles everyone considers their niche in terms of what they do "best", or "most" and also what they "like" or would "prefer".

There are some incredibly experienced folk around here and I think it would be good to know (especially when getting tips from one of them) who is Mr Rock, Mr Metal, Mr Country, Mr Jazz, Mr Orchestra, Mr Voice Over, Mr Hip Hop, Mr Techno, Mr RNB, Mr ....... errr you get the point!!

I know that MOST full time engineers will have done a wide variety of styles .... but I would personally find it interseting to know, (when receiving a tip to can the La2a and go for a Vari-MU instead), that the guy suggesting this does his best work extracting extraordinary performances from solo mandolin ...... OR is usually at the helm of deranged death/black metal overtures!!

ps. In keeping with being politically correct, please add /Mrs after each Mr.

Ciao
Old 1st August 2005
I am a "rock band that uses a real drum kit" guy

I dont normally deal with sub genres of rock that require samples to be triggered on drums (like speed / death metal / corperate "cookie cutter" punk rock or new metal)

I am a total "midiot" the in house engineers can get midi stuff happening but they werent taught by me, I haven't a CLUE how to program even a click track in midi (I can do it with audio in PT) I am not proud of this non achivement.. just honestly stating my skill set.

Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

I am Mr. LoveSoundOf1973,
and I hereby promise that I in every master session from now on will ask the MA to make my masters less hot.

I like to put some flower powder, acid polish on my tracks

ruudman
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Maniac

Cool.

Although I don't profess to be experienced in the "commercial studio" in terms of doing lots of outside work as such ... FWIW my opinions come from a long devotion to straight up 4 piece rock music, examples of which could be :

U2, Live, ...... some of the more commercial Foo Fighters(ala Times Like These / Learn to Fly), most of the commercial RHCP stuff, LOVED "Just Because" from Jane's Addiction etc etc.

I guess that could qualify as Mr Semi-Commercial (But not Too Cheesy) Rock.

Ciao
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

Great question, Bones! thumbsup

Although I listen to all kinds of music and have been in a wide variety of playing situations as guitarist, my thing for recording/producing is American roots music i.e 'Americana'
Everything I recorded so far has acoustic guitars somewhere in the mix. The emphasis is mostly on songs and singers. Thus I mostly get to work with really good musicians and especially singers, I'm really happy about that!

It's amazing how many studios there are here in town (Basel/Switzerland). We haven't got even one club that features daily live bands but there are studios all over the place (some Neve-equipped 'biggies' among them.)

So I don't get the 'rookie band barely able to play needing a major league production that shouldn't cost more than $ 1500' -type of work at all. I'm happy about this too!

I guess it's just your strenghts that (hopefully) will get recognized and will build some kind of reputation for a certain 'style' although this can be wide-open.

The only chance to survive these days is having an individual sound, I guess. My (admittingly very high) goal would be to get to a place where you would 'hear' my room/technique while still putting the music/songs first. That's what I dig so much about the great 'old' stuff like Motown, Sun, Muscle Shoals, Phillly International, etc

I won't refuse ANY work but I will clearly state my 'orientation' beforehand. ('Midiot' here too, not being an expert on 'modern rock',etc)

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Maniac

I record almost exclusively punk rock music. I made records and toured in punk bands for many years, so most of the bands I work with come from that scene.

Once in a while I get a different flavor of music through my studio, and I LOVE it. Almost anything is fun to record when you don't do it all the time.

I don't have a real preference for what kind of music I record. I hope to record every genre as time goes on.
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

Hello ... I am Mr. Ian

For me, I make a living doing Club/Dance music which in some cases can be given the pop label. Both original and remixes. I also do the music for a popular television show.

Regards,
Ian
Old 1st August 2005

I'm a "Roots" guy. Folk, blues, rock with B3 and acoustic guitar. Also do a lot of mastering of almost any style with a Sonic Solutions System setup and 35 years experience recording just about any style....but these days gimme roots music.
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Guru

mr. trip hop at your service. funky dirty breaks of all varieties, glitch friendly, organic and acoustic elements a must.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Nut

Call me mr. Heavy Metal then. Since I mostly do heavy metal stuff. I'd like to do something else for a change though...
Old 1st August 2005
It's impossible to narrow down what I do or mostly enjoy...I suppose it's anything that has a guitar in it (acoustic or electric). I've done metal, hard rock, blues, folk, alternative, country, and bluegrass and it's all made me happy and all been as easy as each other.
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Maniac

I do VO, metal(nu, death, thrash, ie all subgenres of it), rock, pop, punk, jazz, jazz fusion, funk, and some other stuff I can't remember. Most of the stuff I do at my day job is voiceover and commercial related, but I'm always doing music freelance work. These days I'm doing substantially more mixing than tracking.
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Maniac

" Mr.Allround "
funny scenarios happen in my studio:

Two long-haired, tattooed members of a rock-hard Death-Metal Combo sitting in my kitchen with the conductor of the local brass-band, having a few beers and a good laugh while a sixty-year-old female teacher walks in who wants to pick up the copies of the school choir performance .... Rock´n´Roll
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Maniac

Doing classical and jazz. Love acoustic music!

I would do more with folk and celtic if I knew anyone involved in it.

s
Old 2nd August 2005
Jai guru deva om

I'm a rock guy and love anything related to it, hard rock, even some soft rock, metal up your A$$, grunge, I loved the 80's pop (the 80's had cool stuff, but I'm sure somebody 10 years younger than me thinks that the 90's was the coolest...) but I really really dig old 60's stuff like the Beatles, Led Zep etc.

Like lots of acoustic based rock I hear too. If you're asking what I like to have come in here and feel my best comes out, it's with the acoustic based stuff. I like to hear the wood, the thumps, the breathing, the sliding around on the stool, I really like to get that image of the player sitting there right. You can get real depth out of that stuff, whereas if loud guitar rock isn't against the brick wall the band's wondering what's "wrong".

I'm with Jules on lack of beyond basic MIDI skills (MIDIot), but I thought I coined that term!

War
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Nut

Lots of clssical stuff. Been getting a lots of calls for "Piano Trio" stuff due to some mildly successful projects. I get calls for a bit of solo piano stuff as well.

I do lots of jazz as well and fell blessed to be able to do big band stuff every once in a while. Big band good.

All that said, I do a lot of other stuff: country, all sorts of "rock", etc. I enjoy it all... if it's good. If it isn't, I'll have to be happy with being able to make my house payment.

DD.
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Maniac

Guitar niche

I'm a guitar lover

I like to think that guitar possiblilities are my area of expertise

I am aware of many of the parameters of what guitar can be in any and all styles of music

Send me any guitars or guitar gear you don't want and no one wants to buy from you that you don't have room for
Old 2nd August 2005
More cowbell!

In our scoring business we do everything, but mostly orchestral, ambient, and electronica.

In our publishing business and our band, we do pop country folk thing, ala Dixie Chicks meets Fleetwood Mac, CSNY, Sheryl Crow, etc.
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Maniac

I enjoy recording bands. Be it jazz, blues, funk or metal. I seem to be the go to for the neighborhood pop punk bands, though. Tapped a niche, I guess. At least they're guitar bands!

-Scotty
Old 2nd August 2005
Here for the gear

Mr 70´s Prog Rock here...
Though I´m usually forced to record other stuff tutt , this is where my heart is!

chewie
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Guru

I've done a lot of different things and I've done a lot of acoustic music this year. A guy with a guitar singing and playing at the same time. Some have overdubs some not.

Mostly I'm a 'performance' based rock guy. I still make players get it right. I mostly use tape. I love ear candy and quirky mixes.

I think I'd like to be called "Help the band realize what they and their songs can do" guy.
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Head

I almost exclusively record jazz and free improv. Usually tracked live. Usually all acoustic. There is the occasional guitar or electric bass. Once there was a Rhodes.

I cut my teeth on rock though, so I have caught myself fantasizing recently about getting a call to do some marathon singer-songwriter project with loads of overdubs. Just to be able to try some different stuff.
Old 2nd August 2005

Mr Hardcore / progressive metal etc... (a la Helmet, Will haven, Scarlet) but also Mr really soft electronica (Zero-7, Sia Furler, Tina Dico).

But I cannot concieve a record with only electronics in it, I usually will shake the studio upside down until a real drummer and a bass player come in...

Cheers
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

I have a flair with the heavy ****, which is a bit useless, atm, because I'm working on my own album and it's not very heavy at all.

The stuff I sing well and the stuff I can sort out in a mix aren't always on the same page.

I can bang out the three foot thick guitars with lots of screaming stuff, pretty well, though.
Old 2nd August 2005
I consider myself Mr."I like to mix good songs".

If the song has a nice melody,harmony and rhythm no matter what the genre,language or style i can mix it.

When the songs are great it gets my juices flowing and i feel more involved.

Basically i prefer to mix the singles or best songs on album if possible and its where my style lends itself best.

I mix like a producer.

Let someone else do the fillers. heh
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Addict

Mr pop rock, new metal thumbsup .
BUT, I've recorded just about every thing from death metal to bulgarian singing and african music and free jazz and latin and classic and pop and blues and rap and......well you get the picture...
I have really recorded everything for the last 7 years, I worked in a studio that was real cheap and the thing was to fill every day possible, for the best and for the worst. I like everything as long as the musicians are good at what they do.
But now thats over, I've moved and dicided to open my own studio and do only the music I like( but not only pop rock and new metal, just good music).
My bisness plan is all ready, all I need is a place ( by the way, if anyone lives in Normandie, france and has a place that would make a nice recording studio.... heh ).
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Addict

I do electronic music pretty much all of the time, i.e. Dance (all kinds), also HipHop and Pop. That´s where our business is and I like it a lot !

But I definately would like to do more rock and acoustic stuff with real drums etc. You know what I mean...I´ll get to that point later

Bill
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

I'm a jazz/funk/hiphop/electronica kinda guy, studied jazz at college, play keys for Morcheeba, love Herbie Hancocks funk/fusion period and the Miles Davis acoustic jazz stuff, currently like the new broken beat stuff like Jazzanova/4hero/and love the production quality in current hihop, particularly stuff produced by JD, Kanye West (new common album) the Roots, Snoop etc. I like to hear lots of real instruments on records but produced in a synthetic kind of way if that makes sense! I also do a lot of vintage keys playing on all my tracks.

Peas, DG.
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Mostly heavy guitar music with drumkits. Starting to get into recording singer/songwriter types who play non-electric guitars. I'm up for anything, though. Rap, Hiphop, Jazz, Balinese and/or Javanese Gamelan, you name it!
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Thanks for responses so far guys ... any other takers??

I am personally finding this a very interesting insight to those who hang around here.

Ciao

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search