The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What is your "NICHE" music preference??
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones
Thanks for responses so far guys ... any other takers??
I am personally finding this a very interesting insight to those who hang around here.
Ciao
I am Mr Avant-Guitar Geek.
Live sampling, looping, live 'tape effects', octatonic scale forms, laptop in the guitar rig running Reaktor- guitar as orchestra.

It's just a pity so much of the paid work ir sitting on 9th chords funking along to dance tracks. :-)

JR
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Maniac

I pretty much wake up and brush my teeth with Rock and Roll and punk, though I love working on Jazz and Electronic. I actually find those projects more fun and satisfying sometimes because I feel a bit more "challenged" as they are outside of my comfort zone a bit.

-Kenny D
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga
I'm a jazz/funk/hiphop/electronica kinda guy, studied jazz at college, play keys for Morcheeba, love Herbie Hancocks funk/fusion period and the Miles Davis acoustic jazz stuff, currently like the new broken beat stuff like Jazzanova/4hero/and love the production quality in current hihop, particularly stuff produced by JD, Kanye West (new common album) the Roots, Snoop etc. I like to hear lots of real instruments on records but produced in a synthetic kind of way if that makes sense! I also do a lot of vintage keys playing on all my tracks.

Peas, DG.
Cool, sounds very close to my taste
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Maniac

I guess many would ignore the option, but considering the WWW is such an anonymous place, it would be pretty cool to have this kind of info "forced" under the member's avatar .... even if EXTREMELY generalised ... ie.
Rock, Pop, Country, Blues, Acoustic, Electronic etc.
Like I said at the root ... it would help those that perhaps aren't too familiar with the regulars when receiving advice.
Just a thought ...
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Maniac

I am mainly a Rock guy.... usually heavier rock/ metal or singer-songwriter stuff. It is all about the songs to me... I try not to take checks in exchange for working on lame stuff (sometimes it happens anyway).
Real drums, no programming.

I have done lots of other things in the past... but, Rawk is my forte.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman
I hereby promise that I in every master session from now on will ask the MA to make my masters less hot.
Good One !!! Last week I've asked the mastering engineer to do me a big favor: doing the best job he can on one of my mixes, not making it hot, just making it sound good and solid. Then I asked if he could make 4 additional versions with increasing amounts of limiting (at the end of his chain, with a brickwall limiter). On every version the threshold was lowered by one dB. After that we adjusted the output level on all versions so that everything was pretty much equally loud. Then I made the band listen and compare. Should have seen the look on their eyes!! They litterally hated the most limited version (where, as you would imagine, the drummer freaked out the most...can't blame him though). So, in the end, they all agreed on going for the less limited version to be released. I was a happy man!
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

I'm a classical guy by training, with the advanced degrees in composition and theory to prove it. I do a lot of classical and jazz (mostly on-location) recording, although I'd like to start doing more rock (especially "indie" type) bands, because these days, that's mostly what I listen to. I also do a lot of live sound - I'll take pretty much any gig and enjoy it. I'm definitely not a "midiot" - I honed my chops using hardcore synthesis programs like CSound and Max/MSP rather than through the standard 4-track Portastudio route. As a musician I've played everything from medieval music to garage rock to Javanese gamelan. My own music is mostly avant-garde/modern classical; sometimes completely instrumental, sometimes completely electronic, more often a little of both.
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

I basically learned how to do this so I could record my own music. My stuff used to be angry-boy-alternarock, but now it's actually growing and going somewhere that I can personally be proud of.

It's still rock based, but a lot more experimental. I guess that's where my niche would be (experimental rock). I love world music (the real stuff, not the new-age "world" crap) and jazz as well. One of my dreams is to one day do field recordings of street musicians in Morocco.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search