The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
512C->525 for main vox channel??
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

512C->525 for main vox channel??

Having not hands on expreience with API gear what do you guys think of this as a vox channel.. It's mainly for pop/dance/rnb vox tracking, no rock.

512C -> 525 racked in a 500H 2 slot rack with a power supply?

Other options I had were the Summit MPC-100A or maybe a Great River NV pre with a Summit TLA-50 ..

This pre isn't for me but a good friend... I'm going a bit nuts trying to fugure out whats the best option.. We want to stay away from the 737's. He has great EQ on the desk so we're really only looking for a really nice pre-comp chain fro the front end..

I'm mainly after opinions on the 512C->525 option but I'd also love to hear from any MPC-100A owners.... thanks.
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

a 737 is a pos imo. better off with a thorax or isa220/430

as for the api..i just ordered a api lunch box. i have a 512C,525 and a 550B. hopefully i have everything setup by the end of the week.i'll be using a c800G and a 251 with it along with a chandler ltd-1
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

That's exactly the setup I use everyday. I dig it the most. Those 525's are really a cushy ride.

Don't forget to check out the 'off' setting. It's different from the hardwire bypass; when set to 'off' you get a little bonus phattness. I sometimes follow a 525 with another 525 set to 'off'.

Oh yeah, we recently figured out that the 525 has an 'all buttons in' mode which does major smashing to the signal. In a nice way! Good for rounding out any cold, hard sound.

One thing you should probably know is that the 6B lunchbox is about $225 less than the two-space rack. Seems that API has had a little competition on the lunchbox, thus the lower price. Couldn't hurt to have some extra spaces, should you want more modules.

Nah, never happens.
Attached Thumbnails
512C->525 for main vox channel??-vc2.jpg  
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by remo
I'd also love to hear from any MPC-100A owners.... thanks.
my personal opinion is that this box sucks! but ymmv. i must admit though that i'm not a big fan of channel strips and boxes that does everything ok and nothing great. but i think this is absolutely the worst box that summit has ever made. none of the individual componets on this box sound any were near as good as thier individual conterparts.
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by remo
Having not hands on expreience with API gear what do you guys think of this as a vox channel..

as with all things api, it will sound like god. api has tone for days, you will be thrilled.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
as with all things api, it will sound like god. api has tone for days, you will be thrilled.

gregoire
del ubik
Or as a good friend of mine used to say:

"Sounds like God's in town!"
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

nice nice.. After all the surfing and reading I've done I knew API would be a very safe bet... Just don't get to hands on demo stuff here in Aus very often... I did have a Great River ME-1NV for a while which was great... (got to get another one some day). I found the GR really opened up my mics, no sizzle just sheen. It was by far the best vox sound I'd pulled. I'm still trying to figure out my new Amek CIB.. definitly sounds good on some people.. ahh.. feck it I'll just have to get a GR sometime...

How does the API stack up against the GR?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search