The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which Headphones in front of Full Blasting Cabs ?
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Maniac

Which Headphones in front of Full Blasting Cabs ?

Dear Fellowz,

until recently i had no problem using my akg271s in front of one 4x12" rectifier box with an full blowing amp screaming at me. I could find the spot, my hearing and concentration is ok, and everything was fine.
however i have a session comming up at the bands rehearsal room, and i want to use muli - amping with the guitarist , meaning that i have to position mics in front of 3 different 4x12" recto cabs (solo recto, jcm800, diezl vh4 feeding seperate recto cabs) and first "field tetsting" showed, that the volume is too much for me. it is not possible for me to get the balances, spots, phases and everything right - because everytime i have one cab going alone, it is fine and right on the treshold, but it is just "ok". as soon as I kick in the othe cabs the volume rises so much, that i barley hear what is going on in my headphones. all i hear are the cabs. there is no chance to move each cab into sepearte iso booths, it happens at the bands place and there are no booths :(. turning down the volumes helped a little, but led to the problem that the levels and distances of the mics are just messed up as soon as normal tracking volume is dialed in.

however, to check phases and everything, i need to have all 3 cabs going, and now the problem starts, the isolation of the akg271 is to low. i need to rise the volume of the headphones into such levels to override the outside level,that it virtually starts hurting my ears, and i fear demaging my hearing and it presses on my concentration.
i need more and better isolation, while remaining a good and transparent sound.
hence, i am looking for a good and "true" sounding, "workhorse like" headphone for a reasonable price, maybe something in the style of the vic firth drummers headphones, which i know, but don t consider it as appropiate for checking balances, spots and phases on guitar cabs.

how do you do it in such situations ? is the there a workaround i did not consider yet (don t say not using cabs ) ? any expiriences with the beyerdynamic headphones ? any input/help is highly appriciated !

thank you
mark
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Nut

Extreme Isolation Headphones, maybe? http://www.extremeheadphones.com/

The Sennheiser HD 280 pro's are nice.

I'm not sure how good the sound is on the EIH's, but I know they isolate pretty well. I have used the HD 280's quite a bit, and while I wouldn't use them for critical monitoring they do the job very well.
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

there was a big thread about this not long ago at all. search.

--jon
Old 1st August 2005
there are these Bose headphones (sorry I forgot which model) that have a little ambience mic that is out of phase in relation to the outside noise so the isolation you get with those is amazing
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

These are the ones that appeal to me the most.

http://www.remoteaudio.com/hn7506.htm

They appear to block out more sound than the extreme isolation phones and they also use 7506 parts so you know they`re going to sound fairly good.
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc
These are the ones that appeal to me the most.

http://www.remoteaudio.com/hn7506.htm

They appear to block out more sound than the extreme isolation phones and they also use 7506 parts so you know they`re going to sound fairly good.

I use these when recording live, they're great. Bought mine through Posthorn Recordings.
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

I use the Remote Audio's for exactly this reason. 45db of isolation.
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

remote audio 7506s here as well. thumbs up.

it's not like complete silence but it blocks out more sound than any phones i've tried. very useful for mic-ing amps.
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Cool ! thumbsup

I`m thinking of getting a pair for micing up drumsets seeins as I may be turning my place into a one room facility soon.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search