The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
alternatives to Waves L2 Dynamics Plugins
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Maniac

alternatives to Waves L2

This probably 's been asked before, i did a search but couldn't find any.

I have to do some quick mastering on a few tracks. a few of my artists i have in developement are doing a show in a week.
i still have to mix the material properly and no time to get it to a mastering engineer.
I don't have the L2 anymore and i need an alternative to what the L2 does.

I'm on PC and probably do the mix on logic 5.5 due to time contraints.
any suggestions?

The material is pop/ R&B and hiphop.

thanks.
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Timeworks Mastering Comp.

Total L2 alternative...honestly just as effective at killing any vibe you have!!

Honestly it is a cool plug.

Cheers.
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

L3 heh
Old 31st July 2005
Here for the gear

voxengo elephant
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweatherfrie
voxengo elephant
That's more of a permanent replacement!

P&B,
Old 31st July 2005
New Sony limiter plug in..
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Maniac

thanks all for replying, i try to stay away from the Waves plugins, they give me too much trouble with logic 5.5. Plus i think their pricing is over to top for what they deliver..
i demo'd some of the Voxengo stuff a while back and still not too sure what to make of them. it seems a bit gimicky sometimes..
i'll give the elephant a try and see if i like it..

@jules: the sony stuff is Powercore right?
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

UAD 1 Precision Limiter - great plug.
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Digital Fishphones Endorphin. Just raise the Output fader. Killer limiter and for free. Believe it or not!
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

L3 in 'loud and proud'-mode for the type of music you're doing. i like it more than the precision limiter, elephant and l2.
Old 31st July 2005
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Nut

uad precisiion limiter
timeworks mastering comp is ok to
I like the limiter in the masterlink as wel
Old 2nd August 2005
Try these out:
4Front W1 Limiter
buzzroom BuzMaxi3
And last, TLsmaximizer which you can find if you follow this link and follow the instructions there.
Old 29th December 2005
Gear Maniac

Has anyone used the URS 1970 or 1980 as a limiter on the 2 bus? Could they be used as a valid alternative to the L2?
Old 29th December 2005
Lives for gear

WaveArts FinalPlug 5.

if you dont need the auto-release, Yohng's W1 is capable.
Old 29th December 2005
Gear Maniac

izotope Ozone is my new fav, it's more than a loudness maximizer, check out the Multiband harmonic exciter!!! it sounds wicked.....www.izotope.com
Old 29th December 2005
Gear Nut

I've been using the Sony Oxford Inflator, and loving it.... but now that I think of it, I think the only way you can use that outside of protools is on a powercore....
Old 29th December 2005
Lives for gear

Sony Limiter. It gets thing really loud without the horrible artifacts of the Waves
limiters. Punchy is a good adjective.
Old 29th December 2005
Lives for gear

regarding the Sony inflator...how does it work? Does it have a solid peak limiter for the output section like the Waves so you peak and clip at digital zero?

Thanks
Old 29th December 2005
Lives for gear

Another vote for the Sony Oxford Limiter thumbsup

It beats the L2 hands down for transparency & versatility. Not to speak of price, better support and fair upgrade prices ( yes I commit - I´m sold )

Don´t know the L3. Waves screwed me once...from that on this companys disappeared from my plugin folder heh

The Inflator which I used for years is a different animal.
I would describe it as an psychoacoustical enhancer with loudness functions.
According to its marketing text I initially thought it would be a "same sound only louder" machine like the L2, which it´s definetly NOT.
It´s more a tube like saturation sound - similar to the warmth function in the Oxford dynamics

It can be very nice on single instruments to cut through the mix: vox, bass, guitars...
On the 2 buss it´s too coloured and tends to smear if above 4 db GR.
The Limiter sounds way cleaner and gets way louder without artifacts.

The Limiter is a look ahead machine, the Inflator not.
Contrary to the L2 you can adjust attack, release & knee.

Slow attack, medium release while having absolute clip security ( what a word... ) is a nice thing

Highly recommended
Old 29th December 2005
Lives for gear

Here is another vote for voxengo's elephant.
Regards Tamas Dragon
Old 29th December 2005
Lives for gear

Another vote for precision limiter here. Most transparent one I have found.
Old 29th December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by title
izotope Ozone is my new fav, it's more than a loudness maximizer, check out the Multiband harmonic exciter!!! it sounds wicked.....www.izotope.com

I second the Izotope Ozone. I haven't had a chance to really dig into it yet but I'm already loving it. There's a lot of tools in this little package.
Old 29th December 2005
Gear Maniac

I'm going to post my question again since no one has addressed it:

Has anyone used the URS 1970 or 1980 as a limiter on the 2 bus? Could they be used as a valid alternative to the L2?
Old 29th December 2005
Lives for gear

I spent a short time with the URS comps on the 2-buss. I couldn't get what I wanted
out of either of them, no where near the volume boost I can get out of my Sony
Limiter. The UA's seem to work really well on drums, bass and possibly acoutstic
guitar (I'm not convinced yet). I've tried almost every plug in comp. on the master
fader and I can't find one that makes things sound better yet. I used the Ren
comp for awhile, but it seems to make things smaller/narrower. Here's a weird
analogy: I'm primarily a guitar player. For years I would try different overdrive
boxes only to end up going straight into my amp. These pedals always
constricted my tone. Then one day I discovered the Fulltone Fulldrive. Nice and
open, not constricted. After the Fulltone came out, it seemed like everybody was coming out with overdrive boxes that didn't shrink your tone. I think plug ins are going to get better. The URS stuff is by far much better than anything else my in plug ins folder, and the Sony Limiter is absolutely the thing I've been looking for for ever. I just want loud, not distorted, not mushy, loud. You can debate loud all you want,
but I'm competing with hot cd's.
Old 29th December 2005
Lives for gear

Is the Sony Limiter available for mac OS X, native? for use in programs like Logic, DSP-Quattro, Waveburner...and so on..

anyone know? i was about to get a UA card mostly for the limiter.....
Old 29th December 2005
Lives for gear

Sony is PT HD and LE currently. they seem to add Powercore support to most things.

I think Shaman nailed it, the Sony limiter is the first limiter I've used that made things sound bigger and not narrower.
drew
Old 29th December 2005
Lives for gear

I have tried Waves L1, Waves L2, Timeworks Mastering Comp, Izotope Ozone and will son try Waves L3. I have also tried some other plugs that I can't remember the name of anymore. Of all these I find the Waves L2 the best so far, it is most dense in the ceiling and quite transparent and quite good with the arc, a clear winner. It is really hard to make the L2 making a song clipping. To me Timeworks Mastering Comp and Izotope Ozone is in a whole other league. The IDR dithering algorithm in the Waves L2 (16bit, Type1, Ultra) is really good sounding too, so you can even use the L2 only for dithering if you don't want to limit with it! It is better than pow-r 3 and uv22hr. I can't yet comment on how good it is compared to the Waves L3, but soon I will be able to do that. I'm very excited about the quality of the limiting and dithering in that plug, many say that the L3 is really cool...! The Waves limiters don't have any soft clipping properties at all.
Old 13th May 2008
Gear Head

Im not feeling the waves stuff at all.

T-Racks sounds way better to me. Much warmer.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search