The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PURPLE AUDIO BIZ PREAMP
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Nut

PURPLE AUDIO BIZ PREAMP IS SHIPPING

Hey,

Just wanted to let everyone know that Purple Audio has started shipping their Biz preamp. There is more info HERE on their site.
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

I got word of this recently from Purple. Unfortunately I'm in mixing mode right now, and I need to buy mixing stuff, not tracking gear. I do plan on checking them out for sure when one of the next batches is released.
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Just got the biz.... trying it out tomorrow...
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks Matt!

Can't wait to check that one out! heh
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Does anybody know what other modules are expected? I'm thinking of buying a BAE 11 space rack and add some 312a's to my collection. Some of these purple babies might have a place there, but I'd jump on a 500 platform purple 1176 clone!

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Maniac

Hey,

It looks pretty cool, thks for the info!

Tom VDH
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkB
Does anybody know what other modules are expected? I'm thinking of buying a BAE 11 space rack and add some 312a's to my collection. Some of these purple babies might have a place there, but I'd jump on a 500 platform purple 1176 clone!

Greetings,
Dirk

I'm not sure if they are preparing a 500series type 1176, but OSA are releasing some compressors. There "IGM" compressor is due towards the end of august... Its a VCA based compressor that has a sound that belongs in the SSL Quad, DBX 160 VU, Distressor type family... according to Mr Eldred anyway. I have never heard one...

the 500series format seems to be a great expandable system either way. There are modules from API, OSA & Purple that cover a lot of ground sonically speaking... and Tonelux are releasing a 500series adapter so you can retrofit there modules into a 500series frame i beleive... or maybe its to fit 500 series modules in a tonelux frame... i can't remember...
Old 31st July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy!!
I'm not sure if they are preparing a 500series type 1176, but OSA are releasing some compressors. There "IGM" compressor is due towards the end of august... Its a VCA based compressor that has a sound that belongs in the SSL Quad, DBX 160 VU, Distressor type family... according to Mr Eldred anyway. I have never heard one...

the 500series format seems to be a great expandable system either way. There are modules from API, OSA & Purple that cover a lot of ground sonically speaking... and Tonelux are releasing a 500series adapter so you can retrofit there modules into a 500series frame i beleive... or maybe its to fit 500 series modules in a tonelux frame... i can't remember...
I believe the adapter is for converting a Tonelux module for a 500 frame but Paul can correct me if I am wrong....
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new
I believe the adapter is for converting a Tonelux module for a 500 frame but Paul can correct me if I am wrong....

Yeah thats the impression i got but wasn't entirely sure
Old 31st July 2005
moved to the New Products forum..
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Would love to hear how this sounds.
I've got a few empty Lunch box slots...love API but it would be cool to have a complimentary sound.
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Addict

how do these sound? in a word, fantastic. to throw out some words- clear, fast, tight, bulbous. they have a great variety of colors from super clean to really beefy. having so much control over the color with the output level control makes these preamps VERY useful. i find them to have a very pleasing top end, very clear and up front (acoustic guitars sounded incredible with the biz), great on vox, great on just about everything. i'll be selling all the other preamps in my 500 rack (the ones made from original api parts...) and loading up on the biz. in a word, these preamps are absolutely !!! purple really hit a home run with these. kudos to andrew. and yes, as far as i know he has more new boxes coming out for this form factor (2 other preamps, a compressor). purple does very fine work and i recommend these highly (p.s. i don't work for purple, i'm a client, not the president, i just love their gear- very high build quality and great support, best of all great SOUND!). enjoy- prammy p.s. the led's make these very very useful too- you can really dial in the sound and get your gain structure thing together.
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Maniac

Purple rocks.
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramrod
how do these sound? in a word, fantastic.
can you compare the Biz to other pres?
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Yes, there are other modules in the works. I share a floor with Andrew so I have the pleasure of doing some R&D with Purple. Right now my studio has 5 Purple MC77 compressors and I could honestly use more (yes, I am a slut). I think a lot of other people feel the same way but at 2 rack spaces and a big chunk of change each it becomes tough to justify more than a pair. So.........

Andrew is working on a FET compressor for the Purple 500 line. The basic premise is that it will have the compression charecteristics of an 1176 but it is not intended to be a clone sonically. For one thing, you can't fit the guts of an 1176 in a 500 module. The I/O circuitry will be pure Purple Audio but the sidechain will be very similar to an 1176. I for one can't wait!

There are also 2 other mic pres and a couple of other flavors of compressors in the works. There is also some other "stuff" but I don't want to let the cat out of the bag. Needless to say it will all be very cool and fill a void instead of competing with existing product.
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
can you compare the Biz to other pres?

I think Pramrod hit it on the head. I have been using the Biz for a while and it simply does something that other pres don't do. I generally lean toward Neve stuff (1081 &1073) but also have some API, Trident, and various tube preamps. For one thing the Biz handles Ribbon mics better than any pre I have ever used. Probably because of all that gain and headroom. My old favorite on ribbons was the Grace 201/801. The Biz is clean but not in a clinically way and you can drive it harder to get some grit going. It is tranformer balanced in and out but unlike my Neve modules I find it a little less colored and more versatile. Don't get me wrong I still use the Neve for lots of stuff but it has a definite fingerprint that doesn't always work. On trasient information the Biz is really quick and tight but never zingy if you know what I mean. Oh....and the tri-colored LEDs for metering the two gain stages look INSANE. I really want a rack of 10 just to get stoned and look at while running The Band's brown album through.....Ahhhhh....that would be worth the dough.......blinky lights nice........
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

Man.........its a GREAT time to be a SLUT!

I'm gonna have to sell off some gear to finance some of these new toys! So many new prods out there that look super cool!
Old 1st August 2005
500 series nutjob

great time to be a slut.
Old 2nd August 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Hamilton
Purple rocks.
yeah

narco
Attached Thumbnails
PURPLE AUDIO BIZ PREAMP-purple-rocks.jpg  
Old 4th August 2005
rll
Gear Maniac

Just got a pair in, and had them on overheads w/ a pair of old 87's. Two mics on the drums-- FANTASTIC. You can throw all the usual adjectives at them, but they just sound plain greaaaaaaaaaaaaat, without sounding like anything else. There are so many possible variations with them, just getting into them. I believe they just may stand the test of time. They are also the coolest looking pres I've ever seen.

rll
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

We used the Biz on a snare today... Sounded great... Has some Neve-ish qualities... Thankfully NOT another API sound ( I love API, but between them, OSA, BAE, That sound is covered for that frame)!

Very nice. We are going to get more. Definitely. More. More. More. The snare required less EQ then the BAE Pre, and delivered superior "punch" (in that instance).

First Impression: Round. Fat. All That.

We'll try it on guitars very soon (tomorrow)!! heh heh heh

This is the kind of new gear that'll get you excited! stike stike stike
Old 4th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
We used the Biz on a snare today... Sounded great... Has some Neve-ish qualities... Thankfully NOT another API sound ( I love API, but between them, OSA

To be clear though....there are 3 OSA models (L, L3, A) that don't sound like an API at all and have intentionally been made to sound as different as possible. The Purple sounds great and is complementary to the OSA IMO.
Old 5th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new
Soon...
Old 5th August 2005
500 series nutjob

looking forward to his post.
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneLux
His comments to me were that the Tonelux summing had the "glue" that held his tracks together. He preferred to aural characteristics of the Tonelux circuit path to the Mix Plus summing, which he felt was rather flat.[/URL]
Sure, but comparing anything to Mix Plus summing doesn't tell very much.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey
Sure, but comparing anything to Mix Plus summing doesn't tell very much.
heh
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneLux
I think saying that it's "the glue" is quite a differential. If he had just said that it was better would be a no brainer. His facal reaction was literally a jaw drop, then he asked his assistant if all the levels and panning had been correctly calibrated because there was such a drastic difference. He was very interested in doing a calibrated, 1:1 comparison. If you have ever mixed a record that had airplay, you know that point when "it sounds like a record" and when it doesn't.
I agree its a compliment and that your stuff sounds great.

Just that "better than Mix Plus" means nothing.
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Nut

hey guys, can we keep this thread on topic and not stray into the summing thing like several threads have in the past......the last summing thread I was reading left me cross eyed and bewildered............
Old 5th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt M
hey guys, can we keep this thread on topic and not stray into the summing thing like several threads have in the past......the last summing thread I was reading left me cross eyed and bewildered............
It all has to come out somewhere...
Old 7th August 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt M
Agreed. the thread was about Purple's new preamp Paul.

Tim.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search