The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PURPLE AUDIO BIZ PREAMP
Old 7th August 2005
  #31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Farrant
Agreed. the thread was about Purple's new preamp Paul.

Tim.
There are 2 ways to remind someone that they may have overstepped a posting.

1 You can announce it within the real message of "hey idiot" but outwardly seeming to be a kind thoughtful gesture.

or

2 You can PM the person and let them know and they will remove it.

Most people on this site would rather stick the knife in rather than inform them with a PM because it makes them seem more worldly or something. Everyone seems to be losing their kind touch at the expense of flaming and blasting. This request was by no means a flame, but it's the thought that counts. I'm sure Atlas and others got the same post for talking about something other than the BIZ.

I was posting this removed item to links that showed up in my mailbox, rather than looking. I didn't even read the thread title. That's my mistake, but realistically, if Andrew, whose post this is about, was annoyed, I am sure he would have emailed me, which he didn't. In fact, he and I have been emailing back and fourth for the last few days about the BIZ. I'm sure he feels warm that he has so many secret police looking after him.
Old 7th August 2005
  #32
Lives for gear
 
beechstudio's Avatar
 

Okay...............anybody tried these on a blazing marshall yet? Really anxious to hear how they sound on rock guitars! heh
Old 7th August 2005
  #33
500 series nutjob
 
pan60's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechstudio
Okay...............anybody tried these on a blazing marshall yet? Really anxious to hear how they sound on rock guitars! heh
it would be so easy to chat about my new carl martin plexitone now but i will resist.
Old 7th August 2005
  #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneLux
I'm sure Atlas and others got the same post for talking about something other than the BIZ.


I'm flogging myself as I type this Tonelux...er, I mean Paul.
Old 7th August 2005
  #35
Gear Addict
 

I've used the BIZ a bunch on rock guitars- both screaming marshalls and my other metal amp of doom the pearce and all i can say is rocking!!! the biz was fast and tight but handled the complexity of distorted guitars very well. and with ribbons (i like my beyer m160's on guits) the BIZ pairs beautifully (tons of gain and the second gain stage and the ability to dial in so many different sounds really works great for rock guits). i was a/b'ing them with a friend of mine who is an amazing heavy metal engineer (he just get's that sound instantly) against some other 500 series slotting pre's and on guitars we were especially blown away. acoustics were so clear and still very vibey and distorted guits were screaming too. highly recommend the biz for all your satanic seering metal shredding needs.

beechstudio Okay...............anybody tried these on a blazing marshall yet? Really anxious to hear how they sound on rock guitars!
Old 7th August 2005
  #36
Lives for gear
 
beechstudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramrod
I've used the BIZ a bunch on rock guitars- both screaming marshalls and my other metal amp of doom the pearce and all i can say is rocking!!! the biz was fast and tight but handled the complexity of distorted guitars very well. and with ribbons (i like my beyer m160's on guits) the BIZ pairs beautifully (tons of gain and the second gain stage and the ability to dial in so many different sounds really works great for rock guits). i was a/b'ing them with a friend of mine who is an amazing heavy metal engineer (he just get's that sound instantly) against some other 500 series slotting pre's and on guitars we were especially blown away. acoustics were so clear and still very vibey and distorted guits were screaming too. highly recommend the biz for all your satanic seering metal shredding needs.

beechstudio Okay...............anybody tried these on a blazing marshall yet? Really anxious to hear how they sound on rock guitars!
Thanks Pramrod!

Sounds like these are going on my list!
Old 7th August 2005
  #37
Lives for gear
 
beechstudio's Avatar
 

Nathan.......I guess you have these in stock? heh
Old 7th August 2005
  #38
There is only one
 
alphajerk's Avatar
 

im kinda curious why he with with a class A/B circut on the output... why screw up nice class A circutry with it? id rather just have the nice class A amps running into an attenuation [to possibly drive the amps and bring the output volume down] than what i am assuming is yet another gain stage on the level knob.
Old 7th August 2005
  #39
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajerk
im kinda curious why he with with a class A/B circut on the output... why screw up nice class A circutry with it?

That's splitting some fine hairs IMO...the Biz SOUNDS good, who cares about the topology one way or the other?
Old 7th August 2005
  #40
Gear Guru
 
lucey's Avatar
A/B can be nice

some great sounding Marshalls come to mind .... (DrZ Amps too)
Old 7th August 2005
  #41
Gear Head
 
le purp's Avatar
 

threads and class A

Not too worried about where threads on this list go although I do remember the last summing thread I read got really ugly, strangely off topic and was at some point closed.
Hate to see that happen to such a light hearted topic.

Regarding the Class AB output - there is a bit of a heat and power problem driving class A in to a low impedance transformer winding. If you want to get gain instead of loss you need a 150:600 step up transformer. Getting a single element Class A device to drive 150 ohms creates a lot of heat. Even driving AB into a 150 creates a lot of heat but you share it over at least two devices. In our AB opamp we use two pairs of output transistors to share the load. Which I guess begs the question, can you use multiple class A output elements in parallel with separate current sources to share the load. - Possibly someone has done that in a discrete opamp, I don't know.




-andrew
Old 8th August 2005
  #42
Lives for gear
 

Yeah, it's pretty weird how threads about audio electronics, music and sound drift into the realms of religion and politics sometimes, etc...

Thanks for posting Andrew. I look forward to trying these preamps in the near future. It appears that you've done some great design work on these, and they look neato too!

Old 8th August 2005
  #43
Lives for gear
 
Saucyjack's Avatar
 

The Biz will fit into a Averill lunchbox,right?
Old 8th August 2005
  #44
Gear Head
 
le purp's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucyjack
The Biz will fit into a Averill lunchbox,right?

Yes you can, I mean yes it will


-andrew
Old 8th August 2005
  #45
Lives for gear
 
Ghost Logic's Avatar
 

Any ETA for the Purple 500 format compressor?
Old 20th August 2005
  #46
Lives for gear
 
beechstudio's Avatar
 

heh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Logic
Any ETA for the Purple 500 format compressor?
Any new info on the compressor Andrew?
Old 20th August 2005
  #47
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajerk
im kinda curious why he with with a class A/B circut on the output... why screw up nice class A circutry with it? id rather just have the nice class A amps running into an attenuation [to possibly drive the amps and bring the output volume down] than what i am assuming is yet another gain stage on the level knob.
Hi alpha... we need to get a good rant going... It's been a long time...

Actually, AB amps can be just as low distortion, they just draw less power. It's all about the bias... My amp is biased to a point where the distortion stopped going down, and it draws a lot less than a pure A. Andrew is a very smart guy, and if a AB had a lot of distortion, I doubt he would have used it. One other big consideration, which is probably the real reason is that the API racks have a limited amount of power available, so it has to be less than (Ithink) 90 mils a side, which a class A would have exceeded.
Old 21st August 2005
  #48
Gear Maniac
 

congrats to purple.
It sounds great on everything i tried. very versatile.
sounds good clean and when pushed.
Old 27th September 2005
  #49
cc1
Gear Nut
 

vocals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Johan
congrats to purple.
It sounds great on everything i tried. very versatile.
sounds good clean and when pushed.
would this pre be something you would use on vocals?
Old 27th September 2005
  #50
Lives for gear
 
max cooper's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt M
For one thing, you can't fit the guts of an 1176 in a 500 module.
This had occured to me. I wonder if anyone's considered making modules that take up two spaces...
Old 4th October 2005
  #51
Lives for gear
 
beechstudio's Avatar
 

Any more feedback on this pre? Come on guys.....surely more of you out there are using these!
Old 5th October 2005
  #52
Gear Nut
 
sounddevisor's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechstudio
Any more feedback on this pre? Come on guys.....surely more of you out there are using these!
Yeah - I've been using a pair for several months now, and I love 'em. I pretty much have to concur with everything Pramrod has said about how they sound - clean, fast, pretty forward but open on the top end, etc (i'm paraphrasing, but you get the idea.)

In fact, when I was shopping for my next pair of pres I was leaning pretty heavily towards a pair of BAE 312s. I had the chance to A/B the BAEs with an early pair of Purples over at Pramrod's place, and we both felt that there was no comparison - the Biz just clearly sounded better than the BAEs.

Give 'em a try, I would be very surprised if you are disappointed.

- sounddevisor
Old 5th October 2005
  #53
Lives for gear
 
beechstudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sounddevisor
Yeah - I've been using a pair for several months now, and I love 'em. I pretty much have to concur with everything Pramrod has said about how they sound - clean, fast, pretty forward but open on the top end, etc (i'm paraphrasing, but you get the idea.)

In fact, when I was shopping for my next pair of pres I was leaning pretty heavily towards a pair of BAE 312s. I had the chance to A/B the BAEs with an early pair of Purples over at Pramrod's place, and we both felt that there was no comparison - the Biz just clearly sounded better than the BAEs.

Give 'em a try, I would be very surprised if you are disappointed.

- sounddevisor
Thanks Sounddevisor!

I already have a pair of BAE 312s. I thought these Purples would make a nice complement to them. I Love the 312s, but were looking for something with a more open top end for vox and OH's. Looks like I found them!
Old 8th October 2005
  #54
Lives for gear
 
Ziggy!!'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajerk
im kinda curious why he with with a class A/B circut on the output... why screw up nice class A circutry with it?

Since when did class AB screw up anything?

Class A must be the new catch word that is replacing "valve".


I wonder whats next? "Why screw up nice sound by using vibration"`


Old 24th October 2005
  #55
Lives for gear
 
beechstudio's Avatar
 

Aren't NEVE 1081's A/B?
Old 24th October 2005
  #56
Gear Head
 
Family Hoof's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechstudio
Aren't NEVE 1081's A/B?
Yes, the output amp, BA340/440/640/512, etc. is A/B biased. I believe that with rare exceptions you will find this on ALL classic Neve desks built after a certain period. The 1081 and all of the 3xxx or 33xxx series modules, like all of the ones in the 8068, 8078, BBC and AIR desks for example. I think we can all agree that those desks sounded just as good as the earlier class A output ones and have cut some phenomenal records over the years. Don't get caught up on marketing bs. Use your ears!
Old 26th October 2005
  #57
Lives for gear
 
beechstudio's Avatar
 

Can't seem to find a dealer with these in stock. I talked to one who said he's been waiting for a return phone call from Purple for a while. (This was a VERY reputable dealer by the way, although I won't mention any names) Bummer!
Old 6th November 2005
  #58
Gear Maniac
 

biz on vocals?

howzit sound on lead vocal?

i love my bae312's but thinking they can be a tad harsh on vocal....

i was gonna buy something like a great river nv, but i have space in my lunchbox...


thanks,
- rob
Old 22nd February 2006
  #59
Lives for gear
 
SLy_drums's Avatar
 

I ordered my pair today

Where can I listen some samples of the Biz ?
Old 22nd February 2006
  #60
Gear Guru
 
rickrock305's Avatar
 

to the people asking about the Biz on vocals...Thats primarily what I've been using it on lately, and i really like it. Very open and clear, nice big upfront sound. It can be clean, or you can drive it for a bit of grittiness.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump