The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tascam DM3200 vs. MOTU 24i/o
Old 31st July 2005
Here for the gear

Tascam DM3200 vs. MOTU 24i/o

Hello again to all!

I talked to my sales associate about getting a DM3200 with the FW card and he suggested that I could go with the 24i/o, a Mackie control, and a Presonus central station with remote. Both set ups cost about the same (minus the DM3200 meter bridge).

My question is which set up would sound the best? I know that's subjective but I have to ask.

Also if externally clocked with a Big Ben, would the DM3200 sound better than the 24i/o or vice versa?

My background is that I really don't need 24 ins ( or outs sense mixing is ITB) but I do need more than 8. My studio is for my label which is Rap and R&B. We only use a Vocal mic and Stereo pair in the booth and all goes through external pre's/comp's. The majority of ins would go to the keyboards ( Fantom x, Motif's, Triton's, etc.) and MPC's.

The only thing I can look at without knowing the sound of each set up is the convenience of having everything in one with the DM3200. The DM3200 as a controller also controls 16 tracks at a time instead of just 8 as with the Mackie.

My main concern is sound quality. I'm just anxoius to hear some other opinions on this before I commit. What would you choose?

Thank you!
Texas
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

I'd go with the Tascam console over a Pre Sonus/MOTU combo. I'm not sure that the Tascam is shipping yet though.

Assuming you're recording to hard disk, you could also get something like a Lynx AES16 card with a Lynx Aurora 16 converter. Add the controller of your choice (Mackie Controller Universal or Tascam US-2400 probably) and you'll have a really nice rig.

I guess you'll need some mic pres too if you get a Lynx setup. You'll find more than a few opinions on mic pres here.
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Tascam 3200 seems a nice desk, using one for a couple of weeks now. I have a natural aversion to anything MOTU and also anything a salesman tells me. Only problem is, the fuggin firewire card doesn't work in the desk yet, Tascam were supposed to be releasing an update for the desk to work with the card, but no sign yet...
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

I guess they're shipping then. Yeah, I knew the firewire card wouldn't work yet. I was going to suggest this to anyone looking at the desk. It's always something when you buy a Tascam product when it's first released. Never fails. Ever!

I recall hearing stuff like "Well, we've emailed Japan about that bug, but haven't gotten a reply yet." Eventually it will work though, and it will be better than a MOTU setup in all likelihood.
Old 31st July 2005
Here for the gear

Thanks 7 Hz and J!

I am recording strictly to hard disk. I was looking at the Lynx Aurora 16 ( I think that's the name) and it looks interesting. I know that for more money I could get better quality but how much better?

I already have the pre's and comp's so anything with included pre's/comp's would be just a plus. Ahymore suggestions? Maybe suggestions on different set ups.

Thank you!
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

I think the next step up would be Apogee or some used Myteks. The new Myteks should be shipping soon too. I would say that for the money, you might as well try the Aurora. That's a lot of bang for your buck, 16 channels of A/D and D/A.

I'm using a Lynx AES16 card with Mytek conveters right now. I really like the Lynx card with Mac OS X. It was not as easy to set up on my Windows XP machine though, so I got a new Mac G5 Dual 2.0 for it the other day!

If you already have the pres and comps, maybe you should go with the Lynx setup and spend the extra money on a nice Mixed Logic 24 fader mix controller. I'm looking at controllers right now, and this seems like the best one.

Mixed Logic

The Tascam US-2400 looks promising too for half the money, but the faders are a bit light feeling, and it doesn't have an LED screen to tell you which channel you're working on. I do like the Meter option on the Tascam though, where the 24 encoder ring LED's become meters for your DAW.

The other option is a Mackie Controller. I've heard varying reports on those.

I would still consider the DM-3200 though. It depends on how you would like to work. Okay, I'll stop editing this post now!
Old 10th August 2005
Hi everybody !

I would like to use the Tascam DM3200 with Logic 7.1 too. There is nothing in user manual. In some ad I can read that the DM3200 is like FW1884 (for control surface only) but on the DM's pictures I can't find the same knob...
Is there somebody who use the DM3200 like control surface with Logic 7 ? Is it good or not ?
And what about the firewire card ? Is there still a problem ?

Thanks for your reply
Old 10th August 2005
One with big hooves

How about this random thought...

The sound quality of what your looking at is fairly comperable, an apple to an apple. Or maybe one's more like french vanilla and the other is cherry vanilla.

I think the better question to ponder is...which rig will let you work faster and smarter? Which one will allow you to meet your specific goals?
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalobass
Hi everybody !

I would like to use the Tascam DM3200 with Logic 7.1 too. There is nothing in user manual. In some ad I can read that the DM3200 is like FW1884 (for control surface only) but on the DM's pictures I can't find the same knob...
Is there somebody who use the DM3200 like control surface with Logic 7 ? Is it good or not ?
And what about the firewire card ? Is there still a problem ?

Thanks for your reply
Tascam usually has a few things that don't work on new products. DM3200 is in that category at the moment I think. The US2400 is working well w/ Logic Pro 7.1 at this point according to my research. You might want to check that out. I think I'm going for a Mackie Control Universal though, as it has better integration with Logic and better faders.

I'm not crazy about the Tascam faders, though I do like one particular feature of the US2400 that works with Logic. You can put the encoder knobs into 'Meter' mode, and they show the levels of your tracks. Cool looking lights!
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

Get a HD192 instead of the 24i/o, its MUCH better sounding, assuming you can live with only 12 ins/outs.

I think the central station and mackie control would make a nice combo with that.

I'm not a big fan of digital desks - I vastly prefer using a DAW for mixing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search