The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
new jack swing snare sound
Old 30th July 2005
Gear Nut

new jack swing snare sound

anyone know what drum machine or sampler is used for snare on Bell Biv Devoes "Poison"?

i feel like ive heard it alot on late 80s early 90s new jack and hip hop but cant seem to find it in any of my sample sets for battery or reason.

thanks for any help!

adam
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftrourke
anyone know what drum machine or sampler is used for snare on Bell Biv Devoes "Poison"?

i feel like ive heard it alot on late 80s early 90s new jack and hip hop but cant seem to find it in any of my sample sets for battery or reason.

thanks for any help!

adam
That snare was a factory sound in the Emu SP1200.
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

i think that snare sample is taken from James Brown's Funky Drummer, it also sounds like its pitched down.
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

what he said!

Old 30th July 2005
Gear Nut

cool, my friend has a 1200. ill check it out. i thought i had all the 1200 sounds in a reason refill but i dont have that snare. i got ripped off!

thanks
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

sample it from the "poison" record, mp3 ,or cd
Old 30th July 2005
Gear Nut

i think i heard the same sample in my xv-5050 the other day
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

Teddy Riley would be a great guest mod for Gearslutz. Wonder what he's doing these days...besides spending his money?

Talk about a guy who had to be seriously paid. He worked on just about everybody's stuff back in the day. I remember when he had something to do with just about everything you heard on the radio. It was him, Babyface, and Jam & Lewis.

That snare did make the track too.
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlotto
sample it from the "poison" record, mp3 ,or cd
I really don't think it's the snare from "Funky Drummer".

The one on "Poison" is not "naked"... has an 808 kick under it from what I remember, so you will need a bit of filter, but PLEASE do not sample it from a MP3 and warble up the top end that made the sound so unique.

"Poison" was not a TR production. Teddy Riley is doing just fine. Rumors of his financial demise are only rumors. Having a bankrupt entity like a corporation is very different from being personally bankrupt. Ask your accountant.
Old 30th July 2005
Gear Nut

ya, i need the raw sound right from whatever machine its from.

im going to check out my friends sp1200 later today probably

thanks
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enharmonic
Teddy Riley would be a great guest mod for Gearslutz. Wonder what he's doing these days...besides spending his money?
Last I heard Teddy was trying to get a Guy/Blackstreet tour going with both groups on the same tour.

While his last offerings (specifically his attempts at singing 'for real' and autotuning the hell out of it) left a lot to be desired, Blackstreet's Another Level is one of the best sounding albums ever and STILL blows away pretty much anything I put up against it to this day.
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Nut

so i got an sp1200 from my friend, but i cant seem to find that "poison" snare sound on any of the discs. anyone with a 1200 or sample set wanna hook me up with a wav?

i cant use the original sound from the song...
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Are the factory discs with the set? If so, what are some of the names of the sets?
Tryin' to jog my memory bank here...
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultools
Are the factory discs with the set? If so, what are some of the names of the sets?
Tryin' to jog my memory bank here...
the only ones with an official 1200 label on it say "standard traps" and "kyodai rock"

others that dont look official say "rock assortment" #1 and 2 "percotron" "bongo fury" "time bomb" "world percussion"

a few other discs dont load. itll say "disk not formatted" and of course those are probably the ones with the damn sound! haha
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Bongo Fury would be a great name for an album...lol. I'm going to have to write that one down
Old 24th October 2007
Here for the gear

Sampled

Marley Marl was the first producer I knew that would sample drum sounds from old breaks and use them to build kits in his SP1200.

That snare always sounded to me like it was sampled from James Brown's Escapism. It has that "bap, bap, bap- Get Down" drum breakdown made famous on the Self-Destruciton, Overwieght Lover in the House (Heavy D) records.
Old 24th October 2007
Gear Head

This is weird...I literally JUST came across some old Teddy Riley/Guy videos on Youtube and was reminiscing on how cool that stuff was. I used to mix and engineer for Teddy. He is one of the most incredibly talented people I've ever been in the studio with. Absolutely gifted with feel. I learned SO much from him. He was also very kind to me. I send him good vibes and much respect.

dave way
Old 24th October 2007
pfo
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by enharmonic View Post
Bongo Fury would be a great name for an album...lol. I'm going to have to write that one down
Great minds....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bongo_Fury
Old 19th December 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by slhangen View Post
Marley Marl was the first producer I knew that would sample drum sounds from old breaks and use them to build kits in his SP1200.

That snare always sounded to me like it was sampled from James Brown's Escapism. It has that "bap, bap, bap- Get Down" drum breakdown made famous on the Self-Destruciton, Overwieght Lover in the House (Heavy D) records.
UPDATE:

I hadn't found the right sample when I needed it back in 2005 and never returned to this thread. Fast forward 8 years or so and I'm helping a DJ this week with a mixtape and escapism is on it and it gets to the bap bap bap and I screamed "OH ****!!! THAT'S IT!" I came back to this thread and saw your post, slhangen. I believe you are spot on. thanks!
Old 19th December 2013
Lives for gear

There's also that ridiculous gated new jack swing snare sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZjAantupsA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpJ7ZjvMPPE

There are also some that sound slightly more organic, but still processed enough to be more of industrial snares with a mean attack.

I've always wondered how to get these kinds of snares.
Old 19th December 2013
Gear Addict
I remember sampling the snare and the horn stab in the early 90's right after poison came out. It was Definitely a James Brown track. Just can't remember which one....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search