The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cleaning console pots: Caig? Hmmm. Which product/s?
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

Cleaning console pots: Caig? Hmmm. Which product/s?

I've searched the archives and remarkably, or maybe I'm not using the right words, but cleanig pots hasn't really come up much.

But, if you're going to use a cleaning product, what would you guys reccomend? Something from Caig? Which product from Caig?

And what's the best way to apply it?

I've opened up a couple pots and scubbed the wiper w/ a toothbrush, and in one case I destroyed the pot. I've never used any cleaning products for pots before, so I thought I'd ask the experts first.
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

Cailube is the one.

Use the lower strength to blast out the crap, and then go for a quick blast with the high-strength to re-lubricate.

Make sure to shake off any residue before applying power back on. In some instances a hairdryer on cold setting works, depending on the pot design, then a very quick blast with higher-strength (100%), and you should be on your way.

If you use a quick blast, the unit will be ready for use in a matter of minutes, but if you had to thoroughly clean it out, either blast out the residue with hairdryer / compressed air, or leave overnight (maybe at an angle to ensure drainage) before powering up.

A quick pfsst will be enough to breathe life into most pots, but if a lot of crap has ingressed over the years then a thorough blast with 5% to clean out debris and a quick blast with 100% to re-lube is the way to go.

Note that if the pot has access, you can get the 100% solution in needle-dropper form - therefore, blast with 5% to clean out, and apply a tiny drop with the needle to re-lube.

edit: To be on the safe side, I reckon it's best to twist the pot a few times after applying, and leave overnight.

Justin
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks Justin,

The eq pots which are the problem do have access w/out taking them apart.
When I apply the 100 percent re-lube stuff, am I trying to get it past the wiper down into the turning parts? Or is is more general, like put dropper in hole and squeeze drop out?
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

It all depends upon the pot. Some are "sealed" so you really can't get any cleaner into them.

For pots with an opening around the three terminals (you can actually see the innards), a quick "spritz" is preferred over a "douching". And then that is the last resort...best bet is to replace the pot since it's likely that one with an "opening" is just plain worn out.

Bri

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search