Comping vocals...
Old 18th April 2003
KMR Audio

Comping vocals...

When comping a lead vocal do you

• always chop out the intakes of breath
• leave them in for a bit of "intimacy"
• let the client make the decision?

This is for a female vocalist on a soul/hip-hop type project... any opinions appreciated!
Old 18th April 2003
Lives for gear

do what sounds best for the performer and style. often times eliminating all breaths sounds unnatural and uncomfortable to listen to, as listeners often unconciously breathe with the singer.

But if the breathing is really obnoxious, elimination might be the lesser of two evils.
Old 18th April 2003
Lives for gear

I never take out breaths on the lead vocal. the only time I may take out breaths is when there are stacks and stacks of BGVs and they are sitting in the back more as a pad. Or if your lead is a stack of four or three, I may take out the bottom ones, with the goal for it to all sound natural. If the breaths are obnoxiously loud or it's overcompressed (raising the levels of the breaths unnaturally), I may automate the breaths a little bit quieter.
Old 18th April 2003
s2n
Gear Nut

I edit some breaths. If ones are really off, I copy good ones from other sections. I also fade-in so the breath isn't as long.
Old 18th April 2003
Lives for gear

Breathes I usually keep in, unless they are a deep kinda of low frequency thing that can make a compressor clamp down on the beginning of the line the vocalist is singing. Besides, you can always take them out in the mix. Lip smacks are hit and miss. I once created a "lip smack track" and sent it to the same verb I had the lead on, only I cranked the bus to the verb with the lip smacks. Turn out really good.
Old 18th April 2003
KMR Audio

Cheers!

Old 18th April 2003
Gear Maniac

After I smacked the lead vox ´bout 15db´s in my ADL 1600 limiter, I ride the fader just on the places that needs to be lowered.
Old 18th April 2003
Lives for gear

That reminds me a story where Barbara Streisand get an assistant fired because he cleaned her breath in between phrases during the lunch time ...

malice
Old 18th April 2003
Gear Maniac

That is total BS

Old 18th April 2003
Here for the gear

My current formula for this:

Mouth breather + bad mic technique ÷ the number of comped tracks = edit

For those good with calculus, substitue "Air Swallower" for "Mouth Breather" and that becomes scary math! heh
Old 18th April 2003
Lives for gear

Then there is the guys with lip smacks....
Old 19th April 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by malice
That reminds me a story where Barbara Streisand get an assistant fired because he cleaned her breath in between phrases during the lunch time ...

malice
as well as he should have been.

Another Babs story.

An assistant at Conway inadvertantly asked Barbra's manager when "Babs" was coming in? The manager then went to Buddy (the owner) and said thet either he (the assistanT be fired, or Barbra would not work there...Buddy was nice enough to the assistant to have "fired" only while that session was there.
Old 19th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by RSMITH123
That is total BS

What make you say that ?

malice
Old 19th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by recorderman
as well as he should have been.
agree ...
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear