The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Allen & Heath Zed GSR24 Audio Interfaces
Old 30th December 2009
Gear Addict

Mike R24 please tell us more !

Mike, I know you have already gone above and beyond what most manufacturers would do with information regarding the r24 and its great!
I now find myself in a scary place waiting to buy a desk I haven't even seen yet! well it seems this could be a new way for companies to promote forthcoming products because everyone I talk to is talking about the r24!!!
Anyway here is my question, will it be a true 24 input desk, will it have b channels? since you mention the GS3000 similarities.
This would be very useful for me!

Thanks again for your interactivity, its the future :-)
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmask41 View Post
Were you the designer of the GS3000 Mike?
I think Mike, indeed, designed the GS3K.
Old 31st December 2009
Gear Nut

B patient

Hey guys, I contacted someone at Allen and Heath about the new ZEDr24. I was wondering about the release date and he told me to keep my eye on the Allen and Heath website around the same time of the NAMM show. Looks like all of our questions will be answered soon
Old 7th January 2010
Gear Maniac

A&H Reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative69 View Post
Mike, I know you have already gone above and beyond what most manufacturers would do with information regarding the r24 and its great!
I now find myself in a scary place waiting to buy a desk I haven't even seen yet! well it seems this could be a new way for companies to promote forthcoming products because everyone I talk to is talking about the r24!!!
Anyway here is my question, will it be a true 24 input desk, will it have b channels? since you mention the GS3000 similarities.
This would be very useful for me!

Thanks again for your interactivity, its the future :-)
Thanks for the comments. Yes the R24 is similar in many ways to the GS3000, but instead of having 2 analogue signal paths on each channel, the DAW send and return is switched to/from different points in the channel so tracking, monitoring, overdubbing and mixing is flexible.
Virtually the same as the R16 but there are more sends & returns to the digital world (32+32).
I must post some pictures....
Cheers,
Mike.
Old 7th January 2010
Gear Maniac

A&H Reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by roc View Post
Hey Mike thanks for keeping us informed and Can't wait to see it.
Yes, it would be cool if you could show us a little peep of a pic on GS.

Well, ok then!

Attached are a couple of pictures.
One shows some rather nice wood side trims that will be optional (you'll be able to order them from a wood machinist and replace the standard black ones - much cheaper for users that way and you can choose the finish. These are walnut!).
The other shows the R24 next to the R16 - quite a difference in size (and price I expect, but this isn't fixed yet). We'll do our best to try to keep it affordable (hence the non motor-fader model and I/O options) but it's going to be a quality piece of kit which will adapt with changing technology and will probably outlast me!

Cheers,
Mike.
Attached Thumbnails
Allen & Heath Zed GSR24-r24-side-view.jpg   Allen & Heath Zed GSR24-r24_r16-comparison.jpg  
Old 7th January 2010
F5D
Lives for gear

That looks really nice Mike! The thing is huge! I especially like the optional wood side trims. I guess that was one of my requests. heh
Old 7th January 2010
Gear nut

nice finish on it, looks pretty old school

loving the level meters
Old 7th January 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienHealth View Post
Well, ok then!

One shows some rather nice wood side trims that will be optional (you'll be able to order them from a wood machinist and replace the standard black ones - much cheaper for users that way and you can choose the finish. These are walnut!).
The other shows the R24 next to the R16 - quite a difference in size (and price I expect, but this isn't fixed yet). We'll do our best to try to keep it affordable (hence the non motor-fader model and I/O options) but it's going to be a quality piece of kit which will adapt with changing technology and will probably outlast me!

Cheers,
Mike.
Yeah baby nice pics!!!! For those of us who still need a mixer to be the centre of the recording studio this is much more like it...
Plus, no motors for me please!!!! The options seem very sensible too.
Old 7th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative69 View Post
Yeah baby nice pics!!!! For those of us who still need a mixer to be the centre of the recording studio this is much more like it...
Plus, no motors for me please!!!! The options seem very sensible too.
+1.5 million!!

Mike,it looks gorgeous so far.

Class!
Old 7th January 2010
Lives for gear

wow, looks really nice, could finally be THE product that answers so many questions for so many!

coming from the N12/cubase hybrid approach i am REALLY looking forward to this one
Old 7th January 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienHealth View Post
Well, ok then!

Cheers,
Mike.

Looks great! - I had my eye on the 16 - but the 24 looks like the "real deal".

Thanks for the information.
George
Old 7th January 2010
Just awesome! Thanks for being so open and engaged on GS Mike!
Old 7th January 2010
Looks fantastic. Count me in as extremely interested in the motorized fader model. Hopefully it's affordable enough so that when I buy it my wife won't divorce me. No pressure, Mike.....
Old 7th January 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks Mike for posting the pictures. Looks great! I'm not in loved with the meter bridge... Same metering as my old GS2200. It looks a little cheap. Other than that - awesome work guys!
Old 7th January 2010
Gear addict

I want the wood finish and full flying fader automation. Count me in!
Old 7th January 2010
Gear maniac

NAMM?

Will you be bringing the R24 chassis/proto to NAMM hopefully?

I'm making the long drive up just to see it in the flesh!

Let us know, thanks Mike!
Old 7th January 2010
F5D
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver View Post
Thanks Mike for posting the pictures. Looks great! I'm not in loved with the meter bridge... Same metering as my old GS2200. It looks a little cheap. Other than that - awesome work guys!
I kind of agree with you. However, as we can see, the photos are showing a prototype, not having all parts installed. The final product may differ from this.

IMO in the current state, the meterbridge needs a plexiglass sheet. Put that in front of the whole meterbridge (preferably a slightly smudged one) and it instantly looks pro, like GS3000. That would really accomplish the looks of the mixer.
Old 7th January 2010
Gear interested

Damn nice!

time to retire my old mackie

Steve
Old 7th January 2010
Lives for gear

Any idea what the ballpark price might be? Are we talking $5k or more like $8k?

I'm looking forward to getting the scoop on this at NAMM.

Brad
Old 7th January 2010
Gear interested

Hello everyone, i'm new to this forum although i have been checking it out every night like someone possessed, just for my first glimpse of this new beauty. Have to say this looks like this is going to be one serious bit of gear. Excellent that I/O are optional- just the firewire will do me nicely. Will have to push the boat out though for the flying faders!

Cheers Mike for the pics.
Old 7th January 2010
Wowza. Prototype obviously has it's flaws but from the looks of things the final product is going to be SHWEET!

Miiiiiiike? Do you need beta testers yet? *puppy eyes*
Old 8th January 2010
Lives for gear

Wow. This IS huge! Can't wait to see more pics!
Old 8th January 2010
Gear Maniac

A&H Reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by highsage View Post
Will you be bringing the R24 chassis/proto to NAMM hopefully?

I'm making the long drive up just to see it in the flesh!

Let us know, thanks Mike!
Not quite ready for NAMM, (still developing & testing). I'll be there though if we can get to Heathrow - amazing how a little snow&ice brings the UK to a halt! I'll bring more pics & drawings...

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 8th January 2010
Lives for gear

Beta testers for hot climes

Well now- Mike I can see you are testing your console in -20 degrees- you really need testers for hot climates -like good old Oz.

Need a hot betaheh tester

Congrats on the board- real interested as to how the analog summing section/headroom turns out, as well as the eq.

You having phase on each channel?

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Old 8th January 2010
Gear Head

Thanks for pics. I hope I'll see it (and touch it) in Frankfurt, Musikmesse in march.
Old 8th January 2010
Gear Head

R24 looks amazing, good job Mike!

Any hints as to what those I/O options might be? heh
Old 8th January 2010
Gear Maniac

Looks Great!! and my 50th birthday is approaching.johnnyz
Old 8th January 2010
Lives for gear

Hi mike

will it be at NAMM where you can release details on the r24? very curious about template overlays for different DAW's?

How many BUSS's

etc

no biggee, just wondering

thanks!

tim
Old 8th January 2010
Lives for gear

I SOOOOOoooo wish id never sold my Gs3k.

They are beyond impossible to buy now the only upside to the sale and this should have warned me when I px'd it for another console the shop gave me exactly the same price as we paid for it new as PX.

I should have known at the time this was a bad sign about how good a product it was and how much of an idiot I was being in selling it.

O wells! Live n Learn.

If this is a G3k for the 2000's then weeeee

Pic looks great , looks like 6 auxs? fixed high band , swept low band and 2 fully parametric mids? 8 busses obviously........at a guess...

Gareth
Old 8th January 2010
Gear Head

include a coffee percolator and you have me
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search