The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thoughts on standalone phantom pwr. box vs. internal?
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Thoughts on standalone phantom pwr. box vs. internal?

I have an Ampex 351 pre that I'd like to use some condensors with.
I guess like any other component, phantom power is gonna effect the overall sound, so probably the legit way would be to modify this thing w/ something high quality, but
I thought I'd ask, since my initial reaction to everything is to take the easy way out, what you think of those standalone phantom boxes? Yay or Nay?

I love this pre.
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

A phantom supply should NOT alter the sound of any mic or preamp. It's just a pair of matched 6K8 resistors and a 48 Volt power supply!

Bri
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Hmmmm,

Well, if it's that easy, I wonder if I could build one for extra cheap.
Old 30th July 2005
Little Labs

Many of the standalone phantom boxes have dc blocking caps in them which are electrolytics of sometimes questionable quality, and will alter the sound to a certain degree.
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

If you are using a console with global phantom, I heartily recommend indivdual, channel assignable phantom.

If the channel doesn't NEED 48 V, I rather it didn't get it.
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

I guess some outboard phantom boxes DO use coupling caps but they really shouldn't be required for any "decent preamp". Either there's an input transformer, or existing caps in the preamp that can withstand the phantom rail.

OTOH, really low end preamps might have cheeze-ball input caps, but I haven't run into them myself. Behringers and other cheap Chinese stuff aren't in my realm.

Power-One (and others) make a nifty open frame linear supply rated 48VDC at 0.5A. One of those modules will power at LEAST 35 mics under absolute worst case conditions.

I still have a few Power-Ones left from a "close out deal" I found awhile back. Ping me off-list if anyone is interested.

Bri

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search