The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ATM25s for drums?
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Maniac

ATM25s for drums?

Anyone using them to record rack and/or floor toms with? I've used them live, but never in the studio. I'm thinking about picking up a few. Need some feedback on 'em before I purchase them.

Thanks
B
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

ATM-25...my favorite kick and floor tom mic for this particular kit I always record...1958 ludwig kit. I like a 421 better on the rack though.
I don't think you'll be dissapointed...especially if you have a great kit to record. thumbsup
Micah
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Best kick mic for the price you can buy (IMNVHO). Don't care for it on toms that much though.
Old 29th July 2005
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie
I like a 421 better on the rack though.
I took the ATM25 to a friend's local studio and we did a tom mic shootout. The ATM25 was not in the same neighborhood as the 421. We did however like the E/V ND468 for its tight pattern and proximity dependent response (you can get in real close without crazy boominess).

I use 4 of the ND468's on my toms. They will smoke the ATM25 in this position in my opinion. Well suited for rack toms, not quite heavy enough for floor tom in most cases where the 421 would outshine it. The ND868 from E/V is also good on kick and floor tom though! (I've got one of those too)

War
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I just picked one up from Sweetwater about a month ago. Check the demo ones, they are like $119 (supposedly they were used once at the Grammy's which doesn't matter to me - but it did come in perfect shape.)

Anyway, I did a shoot out bewtween it and the D112 it was no comparison. The ATM25 is a great mic. Not as clicky but still has great attack and sounds so much better. I like it up close on the batter head and it also really excelled about 3 inches off the front head of my 24" Ludwig bass drum. It was very deep and solid. I didn't care so much for it on toms, but lately I have been using LDC on those, so it's a different sound totally.

I also used it side by side with a friend's Rode NTK on a Marshal half stack with a 100 watt head. The NTK was closer to the center of the speaker, the ATM25 was half way between the cone and the edge of the speaker both about an inch off the grill. Sounded great! The NTK (which I am not a big fan of) was very bright and cutting while the ATM provided a great sounding low end growl. Mixed together I was really happy with the guitar tracks.

Long story short, for around $100 I am really happy with this baby.
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Addict

I never heard them but if I am not mistaking they were used to track toms on the Evanescence album. I thought that was kinda cool. But hey, whatever works!
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

I just used one for a heaver sounding rock album on kick drum. Everyone was excited about the kick sound we got. It beat out the usual suspects on this particular drum set.

It's a handy mic to have in the cabnet.

ERic
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the replies guys. I've got a couple of Audix D3's that I've never used. Not really happy with them. I love my Audix D4's on toms though. I was looking at the ATM 25 for mainly for a tom mic to replace the D3's. These reviews however have me second guessing. Thanks again for remarks gentleman. Definitely helpfull, as always.

B
Old 30th July 2005
Gear Addict

D2s for rack toms and D4 for the floor toms. They sound great. PEACE1
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

The ATM25 is my mic for kick drums. Not used it on toms, can't imagine it would suck though.

heh
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

I used them quite a bit with toms... rack and floor with good results. They are hyper-cardioid so that helps a little with spill if you position them right. They are a little smaller than a 421 and when used with an L connector you can fit them in crowded set-ups. Indestructable casing!
The 421's are brighter... the curve of the ATM rolls off pretty sharply above 10K.
If you are into top and bottom micing, it is great for the botom head.
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandino221
D2s for rack toms and D4 for the floor toms. They sound great. PEACE1

thumbsup I find that I hardly drag out the 421s anymore for rock drums...
Old 30th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublehelix
thumbsup I find that I hardly drag out the 421s anymore for rock drums...

You will...
Old 30th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Mine gets regular use on the floor tom, kick, and bass guitar. Cool mic.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search