The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Help me HElp my friend break the hold of PT
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Help me HElp my friend break the hold of PT

Hey Fellas,

I have this friend heh who uses PT and would like to try something new. He has been thinking about SAW STUDIO or possibly NUENDO but doesnt know which interface to get, or soundcard to get. I told him since Im a loyal PT user and have no clue on what to get that I would ask for him on GS. heh

Now this friend owns some decent pre's and some nice converters:

Avalon 737, Vintech 1272

Mytek 8/96 adat and Benchmark DAC-1

What software/interface combo do you guys recommend? Oh and btw he would still like to use his waves plugs still with the other software.

My friend appreciates any help you can give.
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT User
Hey Fellas,

I have this friend heh who uses PT and would like to try something new. He has been thinking about SAW STUDIO or possibly NUENDO but doesnt know which interface to get, or soundcard to get. I told him since Im a loyal PT user and have no clue on what to get that I would ask for him on GS. heh

Now this friend owns some decent pre's and some nice converters:

Avalon 737, Vintech 1272

Mytek 8/96 adat and Benchmark DAC-1

What software/interface combo do you guys recommend? Oh and btw he would still like to use his waves plugs still with the other software.

My friend appreciates any help you can give.
After years of DAW frustration, Cubase SX on a solid PC with an RME interface is working very well for me. Same code base as Nuendo minus some film-centric features for a lot less $$$.

I can't speak for the Mac, but RME cards on PCs are rock solid, offer great performance and come with great utility software.

-Synth80s
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Which rme are you using? FireFace? or just going with the soundcard? Hopefully others will chime in with what they are using.

Thanks and keep them coming.

Peace
Eddie
Old 29th July 2005
I love Nuendo
And I swear I have tracked stuf in other programs (PT) and played it back in Nuendo and it sounds better

call me kooky

and you will love the plugin compensation
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Guru

well, on the mac, logic is certainly different, and is vastly superior to pt as a creative/compositional tool. but it's way weaker when it comes to audio editing. all told, i love logic.

on the pc, my vote is for nuendo. it's not as cool as logic in terms of creative flow, but it's close, and is excellent for audio editing.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 29th July 2005

Yep, Nuendo is really great... But my all time favorite is Sequoïa / Samplitude. That's just the best program ever made IMHO, very well done and sounds just great. You now have the rewire option with it, which makes it even nicer in terms of creativity. I use it every day at the studio with our Amek Console, and it's rock solid. No complaints whatsoever...

It's a very deep program, and most PT users I know that tried it, loved it though the conversion to it was not always easy and a bit long (it's a rather technical program compared to PT, not that PT is a toy, but samp/Seq will ask you more know-how).

I highly recommend it to your friend, he can add up a UAD1 or Powercore, and all VST/ DX plugs he needs and it will be an even nicer DAW set up. (Even the stock plugs sound good IMO). Just make sure he has fast HDD (SATA or SCSI) and a well installed & fast PC.

He can even get it through the "Crossgrade" program from Magix, and he will pay only around 500€ for it, instead of 1000€!

So, 1- samplitude or Sequoïa 2- Nuendo.

Cheers!
Old 29th July 2005
tsd
Gear Maniac

for a G5 you cant beat Digital Performer... its the editing-recording of protools with the sequencing of logic. logic comes with lots of nice instruments, but DP is just a fantastic program.

for hardware again im gunna recomend MOTU, since your friend already has converters, there are a few interfaces/ cards that may suit.

just check out www.motu.com for the low down, but i cant stress enought how great DP is, it has everything i used to wish protools had. so much so that ive finally posted on this board after being a lurker for about 2 years!!!
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsd
for a G5 you cant beat Digital Performer... its the editing-recording of protools with the sequencing of logic. logic comes with lots of nice instruments, but DP is just a fantastic program.

for hardware again im gunna recomend MOTU, since your friend already has converters, there are a few interfaces/ cards that may suit.

just check out www.motu.com for the low down, but i cant stress enought how great DP is, it has everything i used to wish protools had. so much so that ive finally posted on this board after being a lurker for about 2 years!!!
I know DP is a great program but Im running PC only here, but it smokes. Have you guys checked out SawStudio. I know nuendo and cubase use the same code, so I (oops my friend lol) could save some money with cubase. But Im hearing nothing but outstanding things from SawStudio users. Its worth checking out but I need to get going with a soundcard and interface first before I can even begin to use the demo of SAW.

What motu cards would you recommend or interface. So I can do some research. I dont use midi, mostly just recording audio tracks.

I have looked at lynx, motu, and RME but pretty much lost on what would fit the bill for what I already have?
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

My friend said to get the Rme HDSP 9652. Is that what some of you have?
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know DP is a great program but Im running PC only here, but it smokes. Have you guys checked out SawStudio. I know nuendo and cubase use the same code, so I (oops my friend lol) could save some money with cubase. But Im hearing nothing but outstanding things from SawStudio users. Its worth checking out but I need to get going with a soundcard and interface first before I can even begin to use the demo of SAW.

What motu cards would you recommend or interface. So I can do some research. I dont use midi, mostly just recording audio tracks.

I have looked at lynx, motu, and RME but pretty much lost on what would fit the bill for what I already have?
I used SAW, then SAWPlus back in the day before migrating to Cubase VST 5.1. Since then, I've progressed through Cubase SX v1.0 to 3.0 (currently testing 3.0).

SAW / SAWPlus worked much better on a PC than anything else around at the time -- I could run 8-12 audio tracks on a measly 486 and sync to my sequencer (anyone remember Master Tracks Pro from Passport?) via SMPTE. It was challenging at times, but it generally worked. The SAW code just seemed to be better optimized to eek out every last bit of performance. Still, I found the audio editing to be difficult and the overall program interface / design was pretty awful. I'm sure SAWStudio has made great progress, but the screen shots I've seen still look pretty awful. I get the feeling that SAW and Samplitude are not nearly as common as Cubase, Logic and DP. That's not to say they're not good, but given the rampant piracy in audio software, I'm always leery of companies with fewer sales. I've had one too many software vendors go under while I had an investment in their product.

As I recall, the SAW folks kind of screwed over their customer base when they jumped to SAWStudio (prices jumped significantly) and Cubase VST was coming into its own, so I switched. MIDI + audio in one package was too good to turn away. I was also using Pro Tools when I was doing professional audio work at the time, which provided an interesting contrast.

To answer your question about RME: I'm using their HDSP9652 to connect to a digital mixer via ADAT. To repeat: it's amazingly stable even at low latencies. I've used Event and M-Audio interfaces in the past -- they generally worked, but not nearly as well as the RME.

I might catch hell for saying it, but I'd avoid MOTU on the PC -- their drivers have been problematic and their support is poor.

-Synth80s
Old 29th July 2005
Dot
Lives for gear

Would highly recommend RME ADI A/D's with the RME 9652 soundcard.

SAW is very cool and fast to work with. We use it in one of our studios. If I was on a PC I'd probably be using SAW. I use Mac's in my studio and run Nuendo with RME and love the system. Timing is rock solid.
Old 29th July 2005
Motown legend

Quote:
I have this friend heh who uses PT and would like to try something new. He has been thinking about SAW STUDIO or possibly NUENDO but doesnt know which interface to get, or soundcard to get
Why not just use his Pro Tools interface to begin with? I got Samplitude to burn CDs with when I switched my ProTools to PeeCee and have begun doing quick, simple mixes in it because it's faster.
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Addict

i would just get a lynx studio AES16 card and use your (or should i say your friend's) Mytek 8/96 and benchmarch dac-1. heh

the lynx goes for about $625. i use nuendo on a pc and have three of the aes16 cards interfacing with my apogee rosettas and other digital equipment. not one complaint here.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search