The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need advice on buying a Pre-amp for Acoustic & Vocals Single-Channel Preamps
Old 23rd April 2009
Here for the gear

Need advice on buying a Pre-amp for Acoustic & Vocals

Hey all. Having some trouble sifting through the hundreds of different pre amps to find the right one for what I'm doing. I bought a Rode NT-1 condenser to get some proper recordings done and realised my mixer didn't have phantom power.

So I need an audio interface/Pre-amp.

I was recommended an alesis for about £110, but it scored very badly in some reviews (Alesis IO2 User Reviews - zZounds.com) My budget is really about £150, it shouldn't have been so high (the Rode + stand was £145) but I'm hoping these purchases are long-term investments.

So could anyone recommend something to partner my Rode NT-1a within this price range of £110-150?

I know there will be a variety of options. I'm just starting out and don't have the strongest of voices - I could show a recording to anyone really keen to help me.

The quality I want really is mp3s or recordings gut enough to put on a myspace page/youtube whatever I desire. Basically needs to be good enough to get away with to eventually make a CD. Any ideas?

Gak.co.uk is the retailer I usually use.
Old 3rd May 2009
Gear Maniac

M-Audio DMP3

Will do you fine. The differences betwen most preamps now is not something you're gonna notice on Myspace or Youtube, its much smaller than people on here tend to make out.

So buy a DMP3 and dont sweat it.
Old 3rd May 2009
Lives for gear

Do you already have an audio interface?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search