The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need some archiving advice please!
Old 29th July 2005
Need some archiving advice please!

DAW users, I need some advice for archiving. This is a project that may be reloaded in the near future, so I'll keep a project file and bundle, but how do you guys do long term archiving?

OMF and then rendered wav files separately?

Previously I've been rendering the files without effects, then rendering files with effects, then busses.

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks!
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

For archiving, the more the merrier works pretty good. Saving to a professional quality blank cd-r works great for me, but I've taken it a bit farther, and also upload copies of my important recordings into an on-line Yahoo Briefcase. This works well for me as an off-site storage in the event my studio burnt down, I could still access my music online and duplicate it...saving the recordings. This is all well and good as long as Yahoo doesn't crash, which it hasn't so far. I used to save back-ups to DAT, which saved my butt a few times, but I just don't trust digital tape, because of experiences of drop-outs for no known reason.

Pete Townsend has a little different take on it. He says some people are now recording digitally, and backing that up to analog tape, because it is known to survive for decades.

The bottom line is, if the music's good, there should be many different formats made, because even though the media, may hold up well, the machines may not, or become unavailable years from now.....even 2 track tape recorders are becoming hard to find new. Try buying some cassette tape....some stores only stock a very limited supply of it......

Even transfering to fresh media every few years is done by many studio's.

I've read that the Smithsonian Institute looked at archiving and decided to archive things on vinyl, because it's know to last for years if properly stored.

Even though there's some compression involved, mini-discs is also a good format for long term storage, and used by many people thruout the world. It wasn't real popular in the U.S., but in some countries it was.

So there's some doubts about hard disks, and this is why I say the more the merrier.
Old 29th July 2005
That would be fine for final mixes, but I'm more interested in the individual project files (typically 12 gigabytes worth of data for an album).
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

One guy I talked with on the internet said he'd use a dedicated hard drive for each project and give the hard drive to the band at the end of the session.

Don't ask me the details as I don't do this.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search