The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Oh LORD I want a Neve BCM10!
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Nut

Oh LORD I want a Neve BCM10!

What a perfect front-end for someone mixing ITB! Unless I'm doing modern rock I don't normally use more than 8 mics on drums (normally 6 - pair of rooms, pair of OH's and kick and snare), which leaves at least a couple channels for amps, bass, etc. If it is modern rock, just send the other basics through whatever pres..

Ugh... and when I hear stories of people getting outrageous deals on them (garage sales, churches "upgrading" to a mackie.. cough..cough!) ...

Just a little overexcited, sorry!
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

What I would love is a BCM10 frame filled with brand spanking new AMS Neve 1073's
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Guru

BCM's are nice ,
but there's other things that would rock drums at a fraction of the collector /vintage price
API's/OSA/Averill in a 6-8-11 space lunchbox will rock too
Daking 4 channel pre only boxes
New Shadow Hills 8 channel switchable tranny Gamma pre's[early reports look very promising]
wunder 4 ch pre only box
Blah,etc,blah
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Nut

I know, its the whole package I love - the fact that can monitor through it, and inserts, and talkback.. I'm not saying it's the most cost-effective investment for recording drums, just that it is a sweet overall package..

It has an unexplainable appeal to me!
Old 30th July 2005
Gear Maniac

In every way but sound and sex appeal they're actually a drag to work with. They were created for broadcasting in the late '60s for goodness sakes. The monitoring, talk back, etc. are very limited for music recording. Even summing is a pain because the phase buttons don't work for the busses. A Melbourne or 53 series board is far more flexible with a much smaller footprint and pricetag.

The problem is that every artist and his brother knows what a BCM-10 is and thinks it's the shiznets of shiznets. Big signing advances are probably responsible for making it one of the most overpriced pieces of gear out there. Maybe this is true of all things Neve, and I say it as a huge fan of the stuff. Yes, the BCM-10 is as sexy as a little console can be and it does sound really great but at the same time it really "ain't all that".

Steven
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarusan
In every way but sound and sex appeal they're actually a drag to work with. They were created for broadcasting in the late '60s for goodness sakes. The monitoring, talk back, etc. are very limited for music recording. Even summing is a pain because the phase buttons don't work for the busses. A Melbourne or 53 series board is far more flexible with a much smaller footprint and pricetag.
Ok guys, I'll make the ultimate sacrifie and work with ****ty BCM 10's. So send them over and in return I'll send back a Neve Melbourne

No, the preamps don't sound anywhere near as good on a Melbourne as on a BCM 10. The "utility" stuff can all be taken care of by patch bays and the flexibility of outputs on a Pro Tools HD system (vs. tape in the old days). I'll take the BCM 10.
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge
BCM's are nice ,
but there's other things that would rock drums at a fraction of the collector /vintage price
Blah,etc,blah
Not to forget the cranesong Spider, which sounds ****ing amazing on drums....and everything else too. Nice mixer with splendid converters and metering

I´m thinking about selling some of my other preamps to buy a second one

It might be the BCM -10 of the future.
Old 30th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanstar Zero
What a perfect front-end for someone mixing ITB! Unless I'm doing modern rock I don't normally use more than 8 mics on drums (normally 6 - pair of rooms, pair of OH's and kick and snare), which leaves at least a couple channels for amps, bass, etc. If it is modern rock, just send the other basics through whatever pres.. Just a little overexcited, sorry!
Join the que...
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Nut

The spider is another one I am drooling about!
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

if you want front end, you could get in the game with a kelso
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

the bcm10 does look really cool if you see a picture of one that's been
well maintained....
are they really 1073 modules just like that on a larger desk?

i'd like to get a rack of 1073's . and in time i will, but i have a feeling there
is so much fat in those prices - i have a feeling they could be profitable at
half their street cost - the reissues - maybe i'm wrong - i guess they
deserve to profit from the demand they have created.........

- jack
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaidsroom
are they really 1073 modules just like that on a larger desk?

- jack
Yep- But some also are loaded with 1066s, ect......Any of that size 10 series module will work.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search