The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cheap alternative to the edac crimper tool?
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Head

Cheap alternative to the edac crimper tool?

I need this crimp tool to make elco snakes for my patchbay. Is there some sort of all purpose crimp tool that I can get instead of the $150 one that is specifically for edac pins?
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Yes someone please help I've got a small desk that needs doing too.

There must be something!!!!
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Try Ebay for a deal on the crimp tool.

However... I have done both... and for me... the solder pins were MUCH faster than the crimp ones. And I already have a nice soldering iron... so you might use those instead if you are similarly equipped.

With the solder pins... you just loop the stripped wire and drop some solder into the hole to fill it up. Slide the heat shrink down.... next pin. Do the heat shrink last. Done. I can do an entire 32 channel one in about 3 hours.

Just my 2 cents of course.
Old 28th July 2005
Here for the gear

Yes - check ebay for sure - I see these crimpers all the time going for about $30.
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

one more vote for the solder pins....You can lay about 100 of those on a picee of cardboard, tin first and solder away!!! I've made loads of ELCO snakes, huffed a lot of solder!!!! and had fun doing it too!!!
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

i dont know. i have the crimper , and yes, its expensive- but its lightning fast, and makes a completely solid pin connection. But i'm also a slow solder guy so YMMV.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search