The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Midas Venice <-->AD/DA question
Old 28th July 2005
Midas Venice <-->AD/DA question

I am wanting to get a Lynx Aurora 16 and use it for AD/DA from DAW to our Venice line in and direct outs.

The Lynx uses DB25 connections for analog I/O with 8 channels on each connector. All the snakes I see for this config output to 8 balanced connectors, either XLR or TRS.

The line ins and direct outs of the venice are 1/4 unbalanced.

How would I make this work so I have the most options and best performance for the future? Just go TRS and plug the balanced 1/4 into the line inputs and outs? Or get the XLR's and use line transformers on every end (overkill?). Or something else?

It seems like if I had the XLR snake, I would have more future options for going direct into the AD from outboard and such. I am trying to buy as few snakes and other cables as possible.

thanks,

KT
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Head

Midas connections

Hi,
I will give this a shot - ( Im not that sharp ! ) , anyway the block diagram of the venice
I believe shows the line ins are balanced , and the direct outs are not . I just went thru
this with connections from protools . At first I had a snake with xlr connections .
(already had it ) . and found it to be to hot going in to the midas . I posted here and
an informative member let me know to use the line ins . It worked great - I have more (flexable) head room to mess with on the board . I had a db25 cable with no ends on it and just soldered on some TRS connectors on the end , it works fine .
Anyway this is what I have found out so far , If this is wrong hopefully someone else
will chime in and help out .
Mike
Old 29th July 2005
thanks for the info.

I assume one would just use TRS->DB25 for the direct outs, even though they are unbalanced? Will this mess anything up?
Old 29th July 2005
thumbsup
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Head

Hi
I can't be sure , but it seems at the venice the cold (ring and the sleeve )are together
anyway ( unbalanced ) . I know on the inputs of the 192 you have to disconect the neg terminal for unbalanced connections (ring) . I would check with lynx to be sure you would not have to disconnect it at db25 end - or just us unbalnced connectors. Sorry I'm not able to help you
out on this one . Hopfully someone could help out.
Good luck with your setup ,
Mike
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Maniac

the midas venice is balanced!!!
pin 1- ground, pin2-hot, pin3- cold.
at least thats what it says on my venice 240
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

I've had sucess when using some api and neve mic pres as front end, then I return them to the venice via the XLR input, this works well. ez

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search