The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
semi budget pre amps/ channel strips
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Addict

semi budget pre amps/ channel strips

Im looking for a set of stero pre's. Right now im going from my mixer to M-box. im looking to spend less than a $1000 and would prefer digital outs. I was looking at the focusrite twintrak pro, but in this price range should I just go for an Onyx mixer as im using a behringer MX2004A right now. Would the Onyx pre's be nicer than the M- box's? I make pop/hiphop/rnb music and use an mpc, asr10, proteus, and micron.
thanks
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Addict

been looking around online and was wondering how the apogee mini me pre's are. maby a fmr rnp? curious how these compare
Old 28th July 2005
More cowbell!

lotta discussion on the onyx stuff, do a search
Old 8th September 2006
Here for the gear

FMR RNP

Hey yeah I"m thinking of picking up one of those RNPs,

I don't have any good stereo mic pres at the moment. I'm just using the preamps on a Behringer Mixer 16channel sucker that i got abotu a year ago ... I imagine these are considered pretty dodgy.

I have a FMR RNC compressor already - but I seldom use it to be honest.

I just don't do use compression when I'm tracking - shoud i be?
Old 8th September 2006
Gear Addict

I would first buy a good A/D. An used Apogee Rosetta A/D would go for about $500 used. You would get a very good clock and converter that would improve your sound a lot. I have an older Presonus MP20 Stereo mic pre that sounds real nice. That is about $500 new but I would look for an older model used that has the Jensen transformer. The Apogee Rosetta would be the best money you will spend. The MP20 is nice for the money.

-Gary
Old 8th September 2006
Gear Addict

damn, i think this was my first post, if anyone does care i upgraded my mixer with an A&H Mixwizzard and my A/D with an old Rosetta and my sound improved 10fold. next is the D/A but first i want to do some treatment on my room.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search