The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Surround Sound For Cinema??
Old 28th July 2005
Here for the gear

Surround Sound For Cinema??

Hi,

I am looking for some advice in regards to mixing a project for cinema. I have been given a comercial to write music to and do the sound design for that the client would like to have shown in the cinema.

I will be booking a proffesional mixing facility who I would like to ask to mix down and master to 5.1 for the cinema:

1) Once the project has been mixed and mastered, I will take away the master (is there a prefered format I should ask for ??),

2) Can anyone tell me what the next step is from here please? i.e Do I need to send it to a Dolby lab to be encoded?

3) I believe there is a need for a Dolby license, does anyone know how this might work and if it is expensive?

4) Can I go with another surround format for which I don't need a license?

5) Is a surround mix realistic for a comercial?

Thanks in advance,

E.C
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Ed, start here doing research,great info and folks there. http://www.cinemaaudiosociety.com/
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Maniac

I normally mix to 6 discrete channels. We use a DA88. Left, Centre, right, sub, rear left, rear right. The music I usually keep left centre and right with an extra reverb on it's own send which I return to left and right rears to fill out the space. I usually send washy things to this verb as well. Effect type stuff will be driven by visual, so if something moves, so does the effect.
The you go to a film mixing studio like Soundfirm - in Port Melbourne, Bay street.
Basically a big cinema with a mixing console in the middle. Balance your subgroups up and mix it off. You usually get it dolby encoded as you mix it off.
A dolby dude will be there and do it and the fee is charged to the session. I don't know the price, that's handled by my producer but I could check tomorrow.
From there, unless you are doing the pictures, I'd hand it off to the film company as it's usually their responsibility to get the print and kinescope made.
I'd call Soundfirm, I don't have their number handy but I'm mixing a commercial there next week and have done a number there before. They're in the book.
Just don't go overboard with panning the music around the room or it might not sound so good in a real cinema.
As far as another medium with no license fee, no you can't. Dolby have the market cornered. At least if it's going to be played in a commercial cinema on the earth.
Old 3rd August 2005
Hey,

1) You should be able to get a DTS converted file with you on a cd-r. Just pop it in your home cinema dvd.

2) You should send the 5 or 6 channels to the movie company. They will handle the encoding to whatever format they're using.

3) See above

4) DTS will encode your mix for free. The studio you mix in should also have a license so you can encode on site.

5) Absolutely!
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajonezzz
Ed, start here doing research,great info and folks there. http://www.cinemaaudiosociety.com/
Thanks Craig!! Great resource thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search