The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Upgrading from Sound tracs PC-midi to toft atb24
Old 20th April 2009
Gear addict

Upgrading from Sound tracs PC-midi to toft atb24

I'm currently using a Soundtracs PC midi.

I like how it sounds but I find the lack of dedicated busing very frustrating. I've had my eye on the toft ATB24 and am wondering how it compares sonically.

Has anyone ever had an opportunity to compare them?

Thanks!
Old 20th April 2009
Lives for gear

I had a Soundtracs PC24 about 12 yrs ago which I really liked!

I've heard the Toft and tbh I don't see it as an upgrade,really!

What's holding you with the Soundtracs busing? Need more?
Old 21st April 2009
Gear addict

I'm having dificulty getting my head around how to send things to a bus and then send the bus to the master outs.. I'm wanting to to compress things in groups (drums, vox etc)

Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this on a pc midi?
Old 21st April 2009
Lives for gear
The MidiPC board does not have insert points on busses, which it sound like is what you want. A lot of boards don't have that capability. The only way to do that would be to take the buss out into your effect, then take the effect out and feed it back into a line or tape input, or effect returns, if you have the extra modules.
Old 21st April 2009
Gear addict

Maybe I'll try takeing a bus out and using the comp in series. Then feed it back to a tape return.

Do you think that will work?
Old 21st April 2009
Gear Addict

Why not a nice patchbay? It may not solve this problem, but it will make it a bit easier.
Old 22nd April 2009
Gear addict

I have one of those!

Any tips on setting this up?
Old 22nd April 2009
DAC, 1/2 Normal to Line Mixer Inputs

Put all the master buss outputs, master buss insert send/return, channel inserts, and the AUX sends returns and all, on the patch bay. This is only limited by what you think you need. I would take the time to wire a "frame" into the Room, if you plan to upgrade the console. For now, just hook all your gear and what you need. If you want to go to the lazy lane for tracking, you can 1/2 normal the outputs of your microphone preamps to the inputs of your AD converter, and have a template ready to go for tracking.
Old 22nd April 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJah View Post
I'm currently using a Soundtracs PC midi.

I like how it sounds but I find the lack of dedicated busing very frustrating. I've had my eye on the toft ATB24 and am wondering how it compares sonically.

Has anyone ever had an opportunity to compare them?

Thanks!
soundtracs pres are generally better than what I heard in the ATB. The atb eq may be slightly better though.
I realize price doesn't always represent quality (or lack of quality) but soundtracs were english boards and in 1980's money they were 6k or whatever. A toft is 5k in millenium money and made in china

you do the math........

I would keep the soundtracs and work around your issues with it. I'd buy an old Allen and Health or whatver before id buy a mixer made in china

Check speck they made some good boards. I suppose if you could get a used 32 ch atb for like 3k it
may not be a bad deal.
Old 27th April 2009
Lives for gear

anybody have the pc-midi series manual?
Old 27th April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by passenger View Post
anybody have the pc-midi series manual?
Yep. Its not specially helpful on busing, but better than nothing. PDF.
Pm me.
Old 17th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaidon View Post
I had a Soundtracs PC24 about 12 yrs ago which I really liked!

I've heard the Toft and tbh I don't see it as an upgrade,really!

What's holding you with the Soundtracs busing? Need more?
I agree. I have the PC24 and have experience on the ATB and really its not an upgrade. I understand that the lack of group inserts on the Soundtracs is frustrating (but the workarounds suggested here are viable), and the Soundtracs' interfacing is very basic compared to the ATB (which is also more quiet) but when it comes to the sound it has character in spades - to my ears more than the ATB, the eqs sound different but the PC24's is right there with it and the Soundtracs' mic preamp is better.
Old 22nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Get your Soundtracs modded to give you group inserts and off you go. No big deal for a qualified electronic technician, and its cost would be justifiable.

B.
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search