The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
renting gear..vocal chain suggestions
Old 28th July 2005
renting gear..vocal chain suggestions

recording an r'n'b singer on friday.. renting out a pre and a mic which can be pretty much anything. we've used u87 and avalon 737 before but i dont think they are good for her. shes got a bit lower, alto/mezzo voice a bit like toni braxton

suggestions much appreciated.. im thinking of u47 but im sure there are good modern mics too. pre suggestions also please!

thanks!
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Nut

I really like the Blue Kiwi for most female RnB vocalists. Very nice high end and detail for that kind of music. For a pre, do you want something clean or more colored?
Old 28th July 2005
Motown legend

Be sure to try an SM-7.
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Guru

while it's not something i normally say, i suspect the focusrite isa might be a good thing here, especially if you do the 47 tube.

an 87 into a 737 sounds like just the thing for that icepick-into-the-brain kinda vibe!

gregoire
del ubik
Old 28th July 2005
thanks guys!

i think i will try the sm7 and if that doesnt work then u47 tube

preamp suggestions?
Old 29th July 2005
the place didnt have sm7, too bad i really wanted to try it and i think a dynamic could have been better because the vocal booth is tiny (1x1m, walls treated but..). maybe we should have the vocalist singing in the control room instead?

got u47 tube and neve 1081. lets see if these work.. might try c800g tomorrow

gonna compress later when mixing
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Maniac

damn dharma - it's a shame I'm not in the UK atm - otherwise you could have used my U47, U87, RCA ribbons, neves, deccas etc. (or 737 if you're that way inclined).

next time, eh?
Old 29th July 2005
don't forget the '67

why not try a U67? personally i find the 67 very well suited for male vocals or, as in this case, female vocalists with a lower range.

or you could just "throw up a 57" (sorry - flashback from my live sound days)
Old 29th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharma one
the place didnt have sm7, too bad i really wanted to try it and i think a dynamic could have been better because the vocal booth is tiny (1x1m, walls treated but..). maybe we should have the vocalist singing in the control room instead?

My thoughts exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharma one

.. might try c800g tomorrow

gonna compress later when mixing
My choice or a C12/Elam 251 or M49.
Old 29th July 2005
thanks all.. c12 vintage or c800g tomorrow depending on what theyve got in.

isa pm sent!
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

U67, vintage C12...although is not as good as the origonals, I've had some great results with a re issue C12 VR on female vocals....but U67 is my fave....
Old 31st July 2005
didnt get around to renting anything else,

we tested the singers voice with the u47 and then then two other mics that happened to be at this studio - akg c3000 and shure sm58beta.

u47 sounded nice but shure sounded the best for her voice through the neve 1081 so thats what we eneded up using. i really wanna get my hands on an sm7 now!

thanks everyone for your help

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search