The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
UAD-1 question
Old 28th July 2005
  #1
Lives for gear
 
bobx's Avatar
UAD-1 question

i've been looking into getting a UAD-1 unit for some time. but i've been wondering about it. the same unit has been on the market for a while now and with digital technology alwayws changing, i was wondering if anyone knew if they will be coming out with a new "UAD-2" or something.
i just ask because i'm going to invest in one of these and with my luck, they'll come out with a new one a week after i buy it.
Old 28th July 2005
  #2
Gear Maniac
 

If they put out a UAD-1 successor card, it isn't going to be anytime soon.
Old 28th July 2005
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Jorg's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBrian
If they put out a UAD-1 successor card, it isn't going to be anytime soon.
I don't think so either.
I heard some rumours about UAudio looking into future devolpments. But my guess that's for quiet a bit to go. I own a UAD-1 and I don't see the need for more power right now. Quality wise you are totally fine. Double sampling rates (192kHz with the Pulltec Pro) and the High Bit depth are more than sufficient. (For me anyway).
Since you can build up to 4 cards in one DAW, power shouldn't be a problem either. UAudio is very proud of their single chip design and I'm sure they won't change into multi chip design like Powercore...
Old 28th July 2005
  #4
Lives for gear
 
max cooper's Avatar
 

They have a bunch of great plugins; there's always speculation over what the next releases will be. I'd guess that since they're doing stuff with Roland, some UAD soft-synths must have at least been considered. Who knows if they'll actually go in that direction.
Old 28th July 2005
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Jorg's Avatar
They actually said that due to latency issues (which u always have on chip cards like this due to the buffering) they won't release any synth emulations (This can be read in an interview in one of their webzines). You won't be able to play the synth in real time.
However Powercore didn't mind that problem (see their Virus emulation) and Uaudio is currently asking in their ongoing survey about interests in synth emulations...
So who knows... maybe they'll change their mind.
There definately will be more Roland Gear:
They already announced the Dimension D (demo clips can be already viewed at the webzine) and I am pretty sure that it doesn't take long for the "Space Echo" to be released.
...just a guess though!
Old 28th July 2005
  #6
Jai guru deva om
 
warhead's Avatar
 

We're very new to the UAD-1 game, but I sure don't get the feeling something is on the immediate horizon.

War
Old 28th July 2005
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Doublehelix's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorg
I don't think so either.
I heard some rumours about UAudio looking into future devolpments. But my guess that's for quiet a bit to go. I own a UAD-1 and I don't see the need for more power right now. Quality wise you are totally fine.

Well, with reagard to power...I have 3 UAD-1 cards and a Powercore, and when running at higher sample rates (88.2 or96K), I start to ruun out of power pretty quickly.

Consider that on most projects I use several instances of the 1176, a couple of the LA2, an EMT140 plate, several Cambridge EQs, a Pultec or two, and then throw in a Fairchild across the drum buss, and you are pretty much cooked!

A fourth card might be nice, but remember in PCs that we are dealing with limited PCI space and IRQ issues. I am personally using a Magma expansion chassis which gets rid of the PCI slot issue, but the IRQ issue still remains.

One nice BIG firewire UAD-1 box would be great imho...
Old 28th July 2005
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Jorg's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublehelix
One nice BIG firewire UAD-1 box would be great imho...
It definately would be nice! I just got one UAD-1 and I'm actually ok with it. But a firewirebox would be great since u could just plug it into your laptop if needed.

Since Waves just released their external DSP boxes....who knows.
Old 28th July 2005
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
beatzz's Avatar
 

I hope i don't get into trouble for this, but i would say skip it. I know many people hear love it for their reverb and compression, but IMO i think that native processing is becoming more and more powerfu as the days go by.


In the long run it may not be worth it.

I say this because say 6 months from now you may buy a new computer, you then will be able to use more of the previous plugin's with your added processing power. Maybe it's just me but i do not see the point of buying one unless your are really choked for processing power. I have no doubt the sound quality is fantasic, but i am sure their are native equivilants.
Old 28th July 2005
  #10
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatzz
I hope i don't get into trouble for this, but i would say skip it. I know many people hear love it for their reverb and compression, but IMO i think that native processing is becoming more and more powerfu as the days go by.


In the long run it may not be worth it.

I say this because say 6 months from now you may buy a new computer, you then will be able to use more of the previous plugin's with your added processing power. Maybe it's just me but i do not see the point of buying one unless your are really choked for processing power. I have no doubt the sound quality is fantasic, but i am sure their are native equivilants.
Before I bought an UAD card I was also thinking like this. But there really is no plugin easier to work with then a UAD 1176, la2, emt 140 or ... you put an UAD 1176 on your drum track and 5 sec. later you say, yes this is what I'm looking for. I've never had that with native compressor plugins. You can probably get similar results tweaking native compressors for 5 minutes or more but why should I when I can do it in 5 sec. and get better results?
Old 29th July 2005
  #11
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatzz
I hope i don't get into trouble for this, but i would say skip it. I know many people hear love it for their reverb and compression, but IMO i think that native processing is becoming more and more powerfu as the days go by.


In the long run it may not be worth it.

I say this because say 6 months from now you may buy a new computer, you then will be able to use more of the previous plugin's with your added processing power. Maybe it's just me but i do not see the point of buying one unless your are really choked for processing power. I have no doubt the sound quality is fantasic, but i am sure their are native equivilants.
I wouldn't bet against anything "in the long run." But for now, there are some great plugins running on that card, and that's why I use it (two actually, along with one Powercore).

I won't say they're a substitute for the real thing, and I'd love to have some slutty outboard gear one day to complement it. But I don't think I've seen too many (any?) posts where someone has bought a card, tried the plugins, and then said "nah, I'm gonna sell it.... there are native plugis that give equivalent or better results, so I don't need it."

The best of the UAD-1 plugins are made by people with an ear for great audio quality. It's almost irrelevant that they happen to run on a DSP card... but that will mean more to some of us than others. The UAD-1 and Powercore cards have helped keep me off the "upgrade every 1.5 years" rat race with my main DAW host computer. I'm using a 3 year old Carillon PC, and the cards have really helped me stretch out my upgrade cycle with the added DSP power.
Old 29th July 2005
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobxhopefield
i just ask because i'm going to invest in one of these and with my luck, they'll come out with a new one a week after i buy it.
You can count on it, if not a new card, something . That's just the way this crap goes.

I bought a UAD card about 6 months ago. Got all the UAD plugs you can get...shortly there after, they came out with a number of new plugs. Had I waited, I could have gotten those plugs for hundreds less. Would cost me nearly what I paid for the entire card to buy the new plugs individually.

But UA are cool, they called me up, and said, hey new customer, don't want you to feel left out, we're going to sell you the new plugs for what a newbie would get them for!

Oh wait, no they didn't, they didn't do that at all.

New people always get a better deal than old people, but it doesn't take long for the new people to be old people.

Are the plugs worth it? Well, they seem pretty good. Are they better than all native plugs...errr, maybe some of them. Are they as good as an actual 1176, LA2A, Fairchild, Pultec....uhhh, I've never used those, so, yeah, they must be as good, why not?

Could you make great music without the UAD? I think so.
Old 29th July 2005
  #13
Lives for gear
 
max cooper's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorg
They actually said that due to latency issues (which u always have on chip cards like this due to the buffering) they won't release any synth emulations (This can be read in an interview in one of their webzines). You won't be able to play the synth in real time.
However Powercore didn't mind that problem (see their Virus emulation) and Uaudio is currently asking in their ongoing survey about interests in synth emulations...
So who knows... maybe they'll change their mind.

At higher S.R.'s the latency is greatly diminished; maybe a workaround!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatzz
say this because say 6 months from now you may buy a new computer, you then will be able to use more of the previous plugin's with your added processing power. Maybe it's just me but i do not see the point of buying one unless your are really choked for processing power. I have no doubt the sound quality is fantasic, but i am sure their are native equivilants.
I totally agree; I'm running what may be the worst setup for UAD cards; a dual 2G G5 with an 002 rack; loads of latency thru the fxpansion wrapper (through no fault of fxp, I'm glad there's a wrapper out there!) but I keep using the dang things because nothing in the plugin world can replace the:

UAD Farchild
UAD 1176
UAD Pultec
UAD LA2A
UAD EMT

I have a fortune invested in RTAS plugins but when it comes time to mix, the UAD compressors are far and away the winners. The UAD plugins drag my CPU a lot harder than any McDsp, or Sony or PSP or URS or whatever... If UA would release native RTAS plugins, I'd buy 'em in a second. If they'd offer some kind of credit for the licenses I currently own + the cards, I'd jump.
Old 29th July 2005
  #14
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
The UAD plugins drag my CPU a lot harder than any McDsp, or Sony or PSP or URS or whatever....
Has this ever been explained?

Because I thought the whole advantage of the PCI card was to take the load off of the CPU...and yet....
Old 29th July 2005
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatzz
I hope i don't get into trouble for this, but i would say skip it. I know many people hear love it for their reverb and compression, but IMO i think that native processing is becoming more and more powerfu as the days go by.
I didn't buy my UAD-1s for their processing power (which isn't all that impressive) , I just prefer their plugins to any of the native equivalants that I've heard. Comp and EQ wise that is.....I just got the Precison EQ plug and I'm absolutely diggin it.

-Z-
Old 29th July 2005
  #16
Lives for gear
 
max cooper's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11
Has this ever been explained?

Because I thought the whole advantage of the PCI card was to take the load off of the CPU...and yet....
Yeah, it's the VST to RTAS wrapper that makes the plugins suck down so much processing, as far as I know.

If you use a UAD-1 on something that doesn't need a wrapper, you should see a substantial increase in processing.

I think the fact that I'm using a G5 doesn't help either. Seems there are issues there.

So if you run something like Nuendo on a PC you should be alright.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump