The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's a Bitchin' 15" Rock Bass Speaker?
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Maniac

What's a Bitchin' 15" Rock Bass Speaker?

A good buddy of mine just donated to my studio this massive 2-15" Peavey speaker cab loaded with the most god-awful PA speakers known to man. I wanna put in some really tasty speakers to make it useable in the studio...maybe 2 different flavors.

I'm a little uninformed on what's good out there...more of a guitar freak myself. To start with: what's a good 15" bass speaker to look for (used or new, vintage or not) for a straight-ahead, retro-rock, flat-tire, Abbey Road kinda vibe?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
Old 27th July 2005

Actually, electric bass sounds pretty good through a pair of the older Eminence 15" speakers. But your amp has to be set up for them (that's why there is voicing filters on the GK bass amps).

If you want less mid-range punch, you can try a pair of the E-series JBLs. The biggest thing is getting the size of the box right. Tuning a bass cabinet (especially if you are using a port) is really important and worth dusting off your algebra skills for.

-tINY

Old 27th July 2005

By the way, Gauss woofers were the Kick-a$$ kings in the 80s. The Beatles probably would probably be more of an Altec AlNiCo thing.

You could do well looking at the automotive market now. Those drivers are designed to be used in small cabinets and move a lot of air.

-tINY

Old 28th July 2005
Gear Head

nice 15" bass spkr

swr cabs (bag end spkrs). very tight low end response. very loud spl.
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

It'd be sort of a shame to throw some nice old JBL's or EV's into a crappy PV bass cab. The right sized box for a given speaker is everything. That's why the great bass amps are just that. You can't just take the speakers out and place them in another cab and get the same sound.
later,
m
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Addict

The new Eminence speakers are very good and they have speaker
box volume recomendations on line.
Old 28th July 2005
500 series nutjob

like the ev's and the jbl's, good stuff.
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Addict

The Jensen Mod 15-200 is perfect for a Peavey cabinet. Sounds great and right in the price range of the cabinet.

I've installed many of them for bass players both in the Peavey cabs and in a small GK Backline Combo amp.

-Tony
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarra
The Jensen Mod 15-200 is perfect for a Peavey cabinet. Sounds great and right in the price range of the cabinet.

I've installed many of them for bass players both in the Peavey cabs and in a small GK Backline Combo amp.

-Tony
Tony, thanks for the "real world" suggestion...that sounds like a winner. Thanks everybody else aslo. I see what you're all saying about the relation of the cabinet to the speaker, but as the Peavey is the turd I need to polish, the Jensen sounds like a good match.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search