The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Insane tedious studio technique
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear

Insane tedious studio technique

1. AC/DC Changing the snare head every take
2. Def Leppard tracking guitars one string at a time
3. Phil Spector tracking one drum at a time
4. Tom Scholz taking 7 years to make Third Stage and complaining to the label about being rushed
5. Anything else Mutt Lange does
Old 27th July 2005
Talk talk A&R dude visiting studio after 1 year on an album sent home 'cause it's not ready to play you'
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear

Having to put up with a good percentage of the so-called "talent" out there.
Old 27th July 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
Talk talk A&R dude visiting studio after 1 year on an album sent home 'cause it's not ready to play you'
I assume you are referring to Laughing Stock? I remember reading about that. The A&R guy mentioning something about the album being great but too bad the record company can't market it. That is one of my favourite albums of all time.
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Addict

Tuning
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear

Beat detective on 2".
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by drundall
Beat detective on 2".
More like beat detective period!
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youn
Tuning

Ugh, yep, gotta do it, nothing worse than a recording out of tune.....it's all part of a great performance. You can play all the parts just right, but if your guitar is out of tune, it'll suck, and just sound worse the more times you listen to it.
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

It was Spirit of Eden, not Laughing Stock.

On Spirit of Eden they were still signed to EMI. They worked on the album and delivered the seperates after a long time to EMI, except they had mixed the drums to a single mono track so that it couldn't be remixed.

Laughing Stock was released on Verve IIRC.

2 of my all time top albums. Genius.

There is a great interview with Phill Brown the engineer on the 2 albums on TapeOp.com
Old 28th July 2005
Back in the 80's printing a master click to one side of a 30 ips 2 track tape and the midi instrument to the other - then measuring the latency in milimeters - then programming the 'bits' offset on the sequencer - and only THEN printing the part to 2"

Arif Mardin & co were doing that a LOT in NYC in the mid 80's on dance / midi music... "I feel for you" Chakka Khan era / Scritty Politti etc...

DANG that was tedious!
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sui_City

2 of my all time top albums. Genius.

2 realy masterpieces. when i listened them the first time i bought the cd and the vinyl of both records to make sure that i will never loose this music. now i didnt listen it for at least 7 years, but some day they will return like a old friend.
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sui_City
It was Spirit of Eden, not Laughing Stock.

y'all seem to know your talk talk; what was the album where the drummer was just doing an open feeling, ride cymbal groove with a big ringing snare and there was instrumental jazzy kinda improv happening around him? felt like it went on for days. i heard it years ago at a friend of a friend's, i'd like to hear it again.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuntz
1. AC/DC Changing the snare head every take
I remember reading an interview with Danny Carey where he said they changed every drumhead after every 2-3 takes on aenima to get the clarity they where after.

Personally, after 3-4 takes I prefer to replace a snaredrum head because the crispeness is gone...

greetings,
Dirk
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Manual pitch correction. I used to do it on 2 inch with an H3500, and if the singer was really good, it still took about an hour per song. I the singer wasn't....well, I've put 9 hours into a song before. Re-sing, fix, re-sing, fix, lather, rinse, repeat.
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Ubik,

Definitely Laughing Stock.

I have a feeling you're referring to track 3 - After the flood. ****ing gorgeous. Hammonds, a guitar solo of 1 note painting with feedback. Haunting Mark Hollis voice.

And the harmonic change at the end of the solo. Jeezus. Gets me every time.

These are 2 albums that i would not live without. thumbsup
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

.........Phil Spector tracking one drum at a time..........

He only did that on certain occasions to get a different isolated sound than he was getting with a combined set.....by the way, that's now known as Drumagog.
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Anal retentive and insecure singer who insisted on singing about 12 passes, then made me do 2 different comps from that. Then we comped the 2 comps into 1 comp.
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Editing for 'micro' flams between kik and bass with an overly obsessive producer.
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Guru

If it wasn't for tedious work, I'd have no work at all!!!!
Old 28th July 2005
tracking electric guitar straight, then going back and punching in all the little muted stringed *cha chink*s and pick slides (none of which last more than a hundred MS) after much discussion on which should go where throughout the tune.

this was with a very popular punk/pop/emo band; and we did multiple takes of each *cha chink* and auditioned them to find the best ones. *shudder*

Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

personally when tracking, in between takes, I like to make sure all the mic cables are run together in straight lines, with all the slack at the mic stand base. It makes a difference in sound, I'll let you slutz argue over that!!! All mic preamps are housed in the live room so I need to check on them from time to time, plus I'm a neat freakola.

The fact that the preamps are in the live room means I need to use twice as many mic cables to get the signal in the control room

<a href="http://www.ezraudio.com/EZRADRUMSII.mp3"target=blank>Ezra's free drums</a>
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher
I assume you are referring to Laughing Stock? I remember reading about that. The A&R guy mentioning something about the album being great but too bad the record company can't market it. That is one of my favourite albums of all time.

I think *Laughing Stock* is Brilliant.
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornvalley
Editing for 'micro' flams between kik and bass with an overly obsessive producer.
I played bass for an album produced by Richard Gottherer @ the Hit Factory in 1990 or '91, and on one tune they had me punch in EACH DIFFERENT NOTE separately!!!

I.e., we'd do a pass where I'd play all the F's, then another pass where I'd play all the G's, a third pass for all the Bb's, etc. For each pass the engineer (Jeffery Lesser) would move the center freq of a very subtle wideband boost on the SSL eq so that every single note had exactly the same tonal resonance [sic].

The irony was that they'd originally recorded that tune with synth bass, but then called me in because they wanted "the human feel" that an electric bassist would provide. Between their obsessive eq'ing of individual notes & their repeated requests for me to eliminate any dynamic variation in my execution, they wound up with as synthetic a bassline as possible!
Old 28th July 2005

chopping,moving and tuning every single syllable an portion of, within a vocal + 'tuning' breaths and articulation, re-equing per syllable etc... that is dull...

chopping and regrooving sloppily played acoustic gtr note by note including masses of replacement with single hits and notes from other takes and parts of the song to create some sense of feel and dynamics within the 'performance'...that is also....dull

in fact its dull even remembering these operations

one thing that was quite entertaining but ultimately dull was fixing a vocal that had been sung in the corner of a small square room with the singer waving his head about. Ended up using loads of automation natch, including the Antares Mic modeler proximity effect slider, worked unbelievably well in evening out the tone. Oh and matching the predelay of the room reflections with a decent reverb to smooth out the sound and make the room sound more acceptable
Old 28th July 2005
Jai guru deva om

EQ'ing TOMS!

I end up looping one tom track at a time where there's a decent sort of standard hit and eq it, gate it, comp it...aaarrgh!!!!

War
Old 12th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
EQ'ing TOMS!

I end up looping one tom track at a time where there's a decent sort of standard hit and eq it, gate it, comp it...aaarrgh!!!!

War
While mixing, I often have to laugh to myself about how the band always seems to stop playing right when I am getting the EQ to sound pretty good i.e. the guitar solo comes to an end or the big long tom part ends and I have to start it over but don't want to take the time to loop it because that would take too much time, although I have to start it over 10 times
Old 12th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
y'all seem to know your talk talk; what was the album where the drummer was just doing an open feeling, ride cymbal groove with a big ringing snare and there was instrumental jazzy kinda improv happening around him? felt like it went on for days. i heard it years ago at a friend of a friend's, i'd like to hear it again.

gregoire
del ubik
Hollis's vocal blows me away every time. it's got an oboe-like quality, never heard anything like it in a singer

SOE & LS are masterclasses in close mic technique. love the solo record too. thumbsup
Old 12th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolskid View Post
... fixing a vocal that had been sung in the corner of a small square room with the singer waving his head about.
david gray? lol
Old 12th January 2007
Lives for gear

Oh boy yeh EQing and gating toms played twice in a whole track on 2"

Worse - editing out clicky 'mouth noise' from vocal takes by drawing the waveform smooth, between every word... on a whole album...

Spending hours going thru effect presets because a musician thought they had heard the 'perfect' one in passing.

The digital editing stuff is the worst though. One reason I don't engineer other people these days. Not enough rocknroll, way too much anal OCD, WAY too much!
Old 12th January 2007
Lives for gear

Any time drums are tracked first, cymbals later, I'm not really interested.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search