The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Improvement of room acoustics
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear

Improvement of room acoustics

I know this is maybe not the right forum for this but I guess almost everyone of us came across that issue:

I just moved to a new place and set up some gear to do some basic editing and arranging work.
However it doesn't take a rocket scientist to notice that there are some acoustical dilemas in my work space.
The room is about 3 by 5 meters and I work with Tannoy Reveals inclusive 15'' sub.
I'd like to "improve" the room acoustics a little without spending much money at all.
I know, most of u think (or know) that this is impossible and that's why I have to make a few things clear:

I won't do any professional final mixing nor mastering there. Just some arranging and editing. I don't expect the room to be perfect. All I want is to reduce some of those nasty first reflections at the listening position and if possible to reduce the standing waves a bit.

The budget is 1000 Pounds.

So far several sources recommended a place called:
www.primacoustic.com and
www.realtraps.com
I was told that for the money I am willing to spend that I'd be best off with a system like this:
http://www.primacoustic.com/LZ14.htm
plus some additional ceiling diffusers from the same manufacturer.

Generally I am a big opponent of putting some foam at the wall! But in this case due to the budget it seems to be the only solution.
Does anybody have any experience with acoustic treatment like that??

PLEASE DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND ME:

I am NOT trying to build a studio. I just want an improvement!!
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear

Start with filling the four corners top to bottom with 703 type of rockwool, about 1.5-2foot width on the front side. This will tame the room modes down a little. Then put some 4" fabric covered rockwool panels up left and right and above your listening position, so sound that would bounce at those walls isn't reflected to you.

After that, listen what you got and if necessary put some more Rockwool on the ceiling and/or backwall.

Or by one of the auralex packages and put the stuff where they suggest...

Good luck,
Dirk
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Do you reckon thats better than one of the Primacoustic systems??

I've just read some reviews on them (Sound on Sound, Future Music, ...)
and they sounded pretty decent. Doesn't mean anything but helps for the peace of mind.
Anyway, I guess this is the wrong forum for a post like this.
Old 28th July 2005
You should also consider: GIK Acoustics

I have several of their 244 and 242 panels.
Old 28th July 2005

go here

http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/u...=0;DaysPrune=0

make your own using rockwool, cheaper and better than foam (in my experience)

low bass traps, high bass traps, and hi - mid absobers..

I've just treated a similar size room for about half that budget, taken it from crap to great, learnt alot along the way too, it did take a bit of time and dedication tho..

narco
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks for that link!!!
Went straight to my bookmarks. Looks like they know what they are talking about.

Nice one!!!
Old 28th July 2005

Just remember to read the "read this first" post and "FAQ's" in that post. Can't stress that enough
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Guru

Seawell,

I am going to drive up to NC and buy you a beer... YOU ROCK!

You can also check out Ethans FAQ page for making them. Don't have the link but you can do a search under it.

Glenn
GIK Acoustics
www.gikacoustics.com

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search