The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nasal issue Dynamics Plugins
Old 17th April 2009
Lives for gear

Nasal issue

I truly hate asking fairly vague questions, but I'm a tad stuck.

I have a nasal singer in a band, doing a 12-song rock project. It's the first time I've really run into problems where if the singer goes into a certain range it grates really bad on the ears. I use all ITB plugins such as UAD, Voxengo, and the stock Cakewalk plugs (Sonitus, etc).

What can I do with the tools at hand to go in and help this problem? What do you guys do, ITB and OTB?

I have a fairly limited mic collection. This singer sang through a Shure KSM44 into an API 3124+ into a Lynx Aurora. It sounded pretty impressive while tracking but once the mix got going it was a different story at times in the song when he hits these certain notes. Live and learn.

I have gone in an EQ'd certain things with the Cambridge EQ and I think I've taken care of the issue, but for future reference I'd like to know where you all start.
Old 17th April 2009
Lives for gear

If the singer doesn't song good going into certain ranges, you need to tell him to stay out of those ranges, or just leave it the way it is. I know that sounds stupid, but I don't think gear can help a bad singer. Good luck.
Old 17th April 2009
Lives for gear

I will typically throw up a really accurate spectral analyzer such as RN digitals inspector plug. I will then take a really close look at which frequency range spikes. I know that sometimes my voice spikes quite badly in the 1.5 to 4k range on certain notes. Then you can do a lot to fix it. EQ it out, multi band compress it, use a saturator plug to sweeten it, or use a spectro scope with adjustable gain to lower the gain on that frequency range and only on those instances where the peaks are bad. If all else fails, getting the singer to back off the mic when they go for those notes can soften those frequencies as well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search