The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DIY TRS cables
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Nut

DIY TRS cables

Is it just me or is making your own TRS cables with Star-Quad more trouble than its worth? I have no problem with XLR or instrument cable but my first attempt at TRS is the ugliest (though it does work) thing I've ever made. Should I not be using 4 conductor cable for TRS? Where do you guys get yours?

Mark
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear

I just did a bounch with Mogami quad...an indeed it was a pain in the butt, though, like with everything...practice make masters. And also, I had a factory made one, to compare and copy...that helped a bit.
Good Luck...............Joaquin.
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Nut

Man, if you happen to have a digital camera lyin around, I would love to see what a properly soldered TRS connector looks like with quad cable. Maybe thats where I'm goin wrong.

Mark
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Sorry Mark...Camera is out in a trip to Costa Rica
Maybe other GS can help...if not, take a trip to the closest GC and check them out.
Good luck..................Joaquin.
Old 28th July 2005

Twist the wire pairs together and tin them. Make a bend (a whole "U" if you can), in the wires. Then, slightly smash the bend closed around the hole or stud. Heat the whole thing up and touch some solder to it. If irt flowed well and dried without being disturbed, it should be shiny.

Heating up the ground connection/ cable retainer is a pain. You may need a bigger iron. But, once you get it hot enough, the solder will flow and make a good joint.

Using Neutrix or Switchcraft TRS plugs can help (they tend to be the easiest to solder)

-tINY

Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elninojesus
Is it just me or is making your own TRS cables with Star-Quad more trouble than its worth? I have no problem with XLR or instrument cable but my first attempt at TRS is the ugliest (though it does work) thing I've ever made. Should I not be using 4 conductor cable for TRS? Where do you guys get yours?

Mark
You probably don't need to worry about using quad unless you're using long runs of cable.

Like Tiny said.. the key is to tin the tip of the stranded wire so that you can bend it like solid core wire. Use one of those two-armed magnifier glass guys that you can buy from radio shack and you should be able to make quick work of any cable build. I just made 4 XLR to TRS cables in about 30 min the other day.
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

IMHO I would not worry about it, the 2549 is better cable, (lower cap.) and far easier to work with. In fact the quad cable will be more likely to break a wire with hard handling, again from my experience...
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elninojesus
Man, if you happen to have a digital camera lyin around, I would love to see what a properly soldered TRS connector looks like with quad cable. Maybe thats where I'm goin wrong.

Mark
If it helps...
Attached Thumbnails
DIY TRS cables-trs.jpg  
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Nut

Thanks guys, lots of good tips. So the general consensus is that quad would be unnecessary for patch bay cables? I just used the star-quad because I had some left over from makin mic cables. I'd still like to make some XLR to TRS but I guess I still dont have to use quad for that.

The biggest problem I had using switchcraft TRS ends is the ground. They have that little plastic flap where I'd normally connect the ground to. Is it supposed to go under the little flap? I figured if I even tried I'd melt the **** out of it.

Mark
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Yup, under the flap. Pain in the butt.

I 'converted' a couple of my ADAT snakes (ELCO/TRS) to TRS/TRS using the Switchcraft. Once you get the hang of it, works like a charm. I even made a 'third hand' tool using some blocks of wood and a couple of rubberbands.

Have fun. Open a window.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search