The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
After all the reading, It is Etymotic ER-4S vs. 7506 for mic placement
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Maniac

After all the reading, It is Etymotic ER-4S vs. 7506 for mic placement

Hi everybody

I’m looking for the best headphones / earphones for taking decisions about mic placement on all kind of instruments (from acoustic guitar to loud amps and drums).

It seems that the Remote Audio HN-7506 (http://www.trewaudio.com/catalog/items/item9.htm) is not exactly the same as the actual Sony 7506 but is close enough, so if you don’t know the Remote Audio but know the real Sony’s, it’s ok for me, tell me your thoughts.

There are two aspects to consider deciding which tool to buy for this purpose:
1.- Isolation quantity
2.- Sonic accuracy, flat response, “truth”, sonic integrity, detail amount or whatever you call it in order to take the right decision on the easier and faster way about the mic placement.

Ok. Let’s leave aside the isolation aspect and let’s focus only on the other one.

So which of these, ER-4S or 7506 (Sony’s or Remote’s), are the best sonic-wise to take that kind of critical decisions?.

Thank you
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueman
Hi everybody

I’m looking for the best headphones / earphones for taking decisions about mic placement on all kind of instruments (from acoustic guitar to loud amps and drums).
I've got both and sonically the ER-4 smoke the sony,but that is just an opinion. However if you are looking for iso one trick i came up with is to get a pair of shooting phones and put them OVER the ER-4s. Talk about total isolation, works like a charm.

RDS
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

Look into the Extreme Isolation headphones. They were made with mic placement in mind.
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

the sony's are NOT flat. in fact, they're more like having an ice pick stabbing you in the ear around 3k. i don't make any sonic decisions on them, but vocalists can sure hear themselves through 'em!

--jon
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Addict

I've had good luck using ER-4's for mic placement. They're very accurate and detailed, and the isolation has been just fine in most cases. If you do need more isolation, you can just put a pair of Peltor earmuffs (~$10 at Home Depot) over the Etymotics.
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouseod
However if you are looking for iso one trick i came up with is to get a pair of shooting phones and put them OVER the ER-4s.
RDS
Yes, that is why I'm asking just about sonics.

Thank you, RDS
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbowes
Look into the Extreme Isolation headphones. They were made with mic placement in mind.

Thank you mrbowes, but in the reading I've done in the forum it seems like the extremes are great for isolation and musicians but not as fine as the others for critical listening.
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Addict

check out Ultrasones- they changed everything for me in my studio. they aren't cheap but worth every penny- excellent isolation, they monitor low end/bass better than any other headphones i've used (including stax, sony's, just about everything except the ers-4 thang), they are not fatiguing at all, very comfortable (nice padding) and sound WAY better than 7506's IMHO. if only i could afford to buy enough pairs for the whole studio (it kills me to see a sweaty drummer spooging all over my fancy headphones, but, sadly, it's often worth it- no click bleeding!!!). and for checking mic placement with loud instruments they are great (read guitars and drums- excellent isolation but keep great sound- very detailed for phones). blah blah- get the expensive ones if you can- worth every penny. even the cheaper ultrasones are pretty rocking (a friend has the mid priced pair and they sounded great too). they have new models made from titanium which i covet... prammy
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

yes, the ultrasones are great. as reference cans, i prefer the grado rs-2's, but they're open-backed and therefore don't apply here. the ultrasones are fantastic sounding.

--jon
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramrod
check out Ultrasones- they changed everything for me in my studio. they aren't cheap but worth every penny- excellent isolation, they monitor low end/bass better than any other headphones i've used (including stax, sony's, just about everything except the ers-4 thang), they are not fatiguing at all, very comfortable (nice padding) and sound WAY better than 7506's IMHO. if only i could afford to buy enough pairs for the whole studio (it kills me to see a sweaty drummer spooging all over my fancy headphones, but, sadly, it's often worth it- no click bleeding!!!). and for checking mic placement with loud instruments they are great (read guitars and drums- excellent isolation but keep great sound- very detailed for phones). blah blah- get the expensive ones if you can- worth every penny. even the cheaper ultrasones are pretty rocking (a friend has the mid priced pair and they sounded great too). they have new models made from titanium which i covet... prammy

Hey pramrod,

I think the Ultrasones doesn't offer as big isolation as the NH-7506 or the ER-4 plus a pair of industrial isolation cans. Anyway, they will be candidates for critical listening in the control room.

Thank you, anyway.

PD. Maybe because I said "let's focus just on sonics" , that can drive to confusion. Sorry if that was the thing. I said that just because I've already cleared my mind
about isolation, and now it rests sonics.

Thank you, man. thumbsup
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Guru

the ety's have zero low-mids and bottom... how on earth do you guys place mics with them?

i love 7506's for playback, but they don't seem to bear any relation to what a source actually sounds like. doubly true for the 7506/isomuffs.

i either use one ear for placement, or, if the source is too loud, someone has to move the mic while i listen in the CR. if there's no CR, trial and error it is.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
i either use one ear for placement, or, if the source is too loud, someone has to move the mic while i listen in the CR. if there's no CR, trial and error it is.

gregoire
del ubik

I DO have separated live and control rooms. The problem is that I can't be at both at the same time. I record myself a lot. Then I am the musician, the assistant and the engineer.

Thank you, gregoire
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

I have Futuresonics in-ears ($100) and some 30dB muffs. I don't hear crap unless it's coming through the wire. The sound of the Futuresonics with foam plugs is very dependent on how they are inserted. Bass they got - good bass, and not too much if you're careful with positioning them. I initially thought they were a bit dark, but more fiddling with how to insert them has worked that out.

I love the in-ears with muffs solution for mic placement. I can stick my head inside a piano and still know that what I'm hearing is what's being recorded. The one time I listened to 7506s I was shocked. No thank you.

In time I think I'll get some custom earmolds for the futuresonics - but that will cost more than I have to spend on ears right now.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search