The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vancouver, B.C.
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Vancouver, B.C.

What's to do?
I'm finally taking a vacation (anniversary too) this week for a week. Can any of you local slutz help out with some non-touristy hang out spots, or places to catch some good music?

She (lady sinsay) already has a few things planned, but I think we're just going to go with the flow for the most part.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx &
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

I spent a couple days touring the northwest corner of Vancouver Island which I really enjoyed - very rustic and peacefull. I think they're in the middle of whale watching season right now. The NW corner is pretty out-there - one road in, one road out. For a little more civilized stay - downtown Nanaimo has all the comforts of home but is a beautiful city to explore.
http://www.vancouverisland.com/Maps/?id=2
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Thanx,
Yeah we love the outdoors. How long of a drive is it from vancouver out to the northwest corner and is it a nice drive? We're definitely going to check out the whales.

Thanx again
Old 26th July 2005
Just a tidbit, but it's about an hour and a half ferry ride to get from Vancouver to Vancouver island, but Victoria is a beautiful small city, and the island has some amazing scenery. (I've never been to Nanaimo or the northwest corner of the island but I'm sure it's amazing as well).
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

It's a few hour drive from Nanaimo (southeast corner - it's the main terminal for the ferry-boat from Vancouver) to the rustic northwest. Sorry I can't remember more details as it's been about 8-9 years ago and I don't know what I did with
the brochures etc. that I brought home. Hopefully someone around here can
fill you in on more details.
Old 26th July 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

Victoria is an amazingplace. Beautifull, small, vibey, really chilled out. There are a zillion great restaurants in Vancouver, you can pretty much fall over and find a good place to eat. I have been there tons but it is to visit friends and family so I don't end up doing tourist stuff. I scour the music shops and hit the shoe stores and drink beer. I usually plan my trip around a band I want to see. Check out pollstar to see what is playing when you are there. Last time I was there the Starfish Room was a good joint to see music but it has long since shut down. Kitsilano is a nice area and there is Kits beach there too. Very nice place to hang out shop, eat and sit on the beach. Granville Island is kind of touristy but there is a cool market there and Emily Carr art college is right there too. I do recomend taking the ferry to Vancouver Island. Hit the trails at Botanical Beach and hang by the ocean. I think it is about 45 min from Victoria.
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Thanks guys, this info is well appreciated. Do you guys recommend a rental car for the Victoria excursion or should it be done on foot (cabs & busses, etc.)?

Oh, if anyone knows of any interesting studios I might be able to pop in and see (if the misses doesn't mind), that would be great. It's always interesting to see how people in different areas do things.

Here's an year or so old picture of my humble place. Some things have changed ( expensive ass HD upgrade) but for the most part it's still the same. Actually I could use the inspiration.

Again thanks &
Old 26th July 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

Sinsay you dog. Nice room! The ferry station in Tsawasin (sp?) is about a 40 min. drive from downtown Vancouver. I am sure a bus goes there but it would probably take forever. On the ferry they nail you ( its been a while so...) around $40 CDN per car then a fee per person. I am sure if you called Vancouver Tourism or BC Ferries they could set you straight with bus schedules and fees ect. I can't remember the cost of the fees but it gives you an idea. When in Victoria check out Ferris's Oyster Bar if it is still there. Great food and they have these sweet Italian rice fritters that are to die for. Pacific Rim Pizza is really good too. Man I forgot how much I miss Victoria.
Old 26th July 2005
[QUOTE=Colin Gaucher]Victoria is an amazingplace. Beautifull, small, vibey, really chilled out. There are a zillion great restaurants in Vancouver, you can pretty much fall over and find a good place to eat. QUOTE]

i totally agree. There are so many good restaurants there it was surprising. Everywhere we went, we were rarely let down.
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Now you guys have really got my attention. Good FOOD, number two on the list, or three, or one, anyway I might need to relocate.

How's the studio business in this part of Canada?

I've heard the weather is really nice, beautiful scenery, nice people, diverse demographic. Seems like my kinda place if there's some kind of music scene.

oh, and thanx!
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsay
How's the studio business in this part of Canada?
Sucks.
Old 27th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman
Sucks.
Good. I'm going there next month and I don't even want to think about studios, or gear, or the fact that I could have bought a matching pair of Wunders for the price of this vacation...
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear

Definitely rent a car if you are heading to the Island, it's probably bigger than you think... a few facts:

Length from North to South: 460 kilometres (286 miles) - almost the length of Ireland.

Width from East to West: 50 - 80 kilometres (31 - 50 miles).

Area: 31 284 square kilometres (12,076 square miles).

Length of coastline: 3 440 kilometres (2,136 miles).

You need to tack on 5 hours and more than a hundred bucks just to get on and off the Island, so it's more than a day trip. There are B&B's all over the Island, they are your best bet for accommodations. Long Beach is a great spot, nice sandy beaches and plenty of hiking, whale watching etc. It's pretty crowded right now so if you want to get away from it all there are plenty of places for that, not to mention all the smaller Gulf Islands. Here on the south end there are a number of vineyards to check out if you're into that sort of thing, including one of only a handful of places in North America that make cider the traditional way. A little west of us is a guy with a honey farm who started making mead a few years ago... doing a respectable job I might add.

Give me a shout if you need pointing in a particular direction... email is on the website.
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear

Head down to Granville Island

There is a marketplace there.

Walk in the front doors of the main building (you can't miss it) & head straight to the back of the building.

Turn right

It is here you will find the best glazed donuts anywhere! Period. Whenever I meet people from Vancouver who hang out in Granville Island - as soon as I mention I had the best glazed donut - we both know who & where I was talking about.

If you're a donut person - don't rob yourself of this experience...

There are plenty of places to get great coffee in this place as well - but enjoy your first donut on it's own...

Enjoy,

Sparky
Old 27th July 2005
Great stuff 2leod, I wish I didn't already book the hotel in Vancouver for the whole week. Now I want to spend a few days on your island. Maybe next year. I try to get out of this place when it turns into Hell. Last week it was 120 and high humidity... I'm not kidding... About 20 people died.

Hey Sparky, I'm all over it man. I now have a goal.
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear

I second the Granville Island trip and also Stanley Park and Wreck Beach(Our nude beach) heh heh

Shane
Old 27th July 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

I was hoping some locals would chime in because I was just going by memory on places to go out there. I have not been to Van in about 5 years and want to go back in October to hit the Tortoise/Daniel Lanois show ( October 17 in case anyone is interested). I forgot about Wreck Beach. Sinsay, you really should do yourself a favour and go to the island.
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I did the same thing as Paul, booked a week in Vancouver at some hotel. I might be able to swing a night at a B&B on the island if they're not too expensive. Oh who cares, it's the big 10 yr. anny. Who needs money anyway.

2Leod, I didn't see a website or an email, did I miss something?
I don't mind winging it but having info from people that know the place really helps, thanx.

As a side note, I thought all you slutz were a healthy bunch. What's with all the donut, coffee, and pizza suggestions? tutt I thought this was the place to go for great seafood and fresh 'organic' produce and crap like that.
How are we going continue our reign as the healthiest sector of the music business if start eating like that

Well, we're busting outa space city at the crack of dawn (gotta get away from this hellacious heat & humidity ). We have a similar situation to Mr. Paul David

Thanx &
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul David
Now I want to spend a few days on your island.
My island - I like the sound of that! Come to my island... enjoy the many pleasures... heh

Sinsay, if you click on my forum name you can link to the website, email is on the "Contact" page. Or you can PM me from there if you prefer.
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Head

If you're looking to take a day trip and are into outdoorsy stuff, a drive up the Sea to Sky highway to Whistler might be nice - it's about 2 hrs each way on one of the most spectacular roads in North America. Stop in Horseshoe Bay (where ferries to Victoria leave from) for fish & chips...

I haven't been to Whistler for a while, and I'm sure it's a lot bigger than when I lived there in 1993, but there are lots of nice restaurants and there are summer activities - mountain biking, hiking, etc. I think you can take a ride up to the top of the mountain as well. But the drive up there is worth it in and of itself...
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Nut

If you go to the Island, check out Tofino (Surfing, beaches, Rainforest, good vibe).

When in Vancouver go download to English Bay. There are a lot of good resturants and beach front down there. Around English Bay, If you like sushi, check out Tan Poh Poh on Denmin/Davie across from Rain City Grill (another nice resturant). Other nice resturants are "C" or "Lumiare" (Rob Feenie).

If you like to hike/mountain bike, go to the north shore and check out Mount Seymour and Grouse Mountain (try the Grouse Grind, no for the weak).
Capillano Suspension Bridge or Lynn Valley are nice places too.
(I recommend Lynn Valley)

UBC campus is beautiful. There is this cool acoustic circle thing in the main square where if you stand in the middle and talk you get this crazy reverb sound.

Grandville Island is nice, but quite "touristy"
Wreck beach is nice if you like old fat naked hippies.

As for music, if there is a show at the Commadore Ballroom, check it out. It's a great live venue.

Chinatown in East Vancouver is nice, but is right beside the "Lower East Side", which can be rough, but colourful.

Commercial Drive is a good artsy, hippie area, that has some good restaurants and live music.

iZ Technology (RADAR) is just outside of Vancouver. Give us a call 800-776-1356 if you want a tour or want some studios contacts around to visit.
Drop me an email [email protected] or call if you want..
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Head

I've always really enjoyed Bin 941 http://www.bin941.com. It's a bit small and usually crowded but the food is great.

Lots of good suggestions already - Granville, West End, Stanley Park. I usually just walk all over the downtown area and take in the sights and sounds.

I think there is also an experimental Jazz fest happening pretty soon.

Lucky you. Wish I were going up.

bin
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenton
I think there is also an experimental Jazz fest happening pretty soon.
bin
http://www.festivalvancouver.bc.ca
August 1–14
Chick Corea is headlining
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Thanx everybody, I've got to finish packing cuz I'm off in the morning. If my wife does any of those spa type things I'm going to try and take some of you guys up on your offers.

Thanx &
Old 4th September 2005
Gear Maniac

Asian scene

Hey all you Vancouver guys! Anyone familiar with the Asian music scene over there? I'm trying to get in touch with a guy by the name of 'Judd'. That's all I have and I'm nut sure about the spelling. He does Asian ethnic stuff and was referred to me by someone I worked with over here in Europe. Any other info on the Asian scene over there would be very welcome. What are you specialties? I mean, what music do you like doing most?
Cheers,
Peter
Old 4th September 2005
Gear Addict

Do Victoria on foot! It's way better. It's such a small city that most younger people in the area (there is a univercity campus nearby) don't bother with a car. The bus system there is fantastic if you need to get out of the city to pretty much anywhere, including an express line to/from the ferry terminal.

Awesome little organic vegetarian restaraunt: "Green Cuisine" #5 - 560 Johnson St, inside the plaza square.
There is also a great Buddhist vegetarian restaurant on the other side of town. Don't remember the name though.
In Vancouver, the Naam (vegetarian also) in Kitsilano simply can't be beat for food and vibe.

Make sure you get in the Omnimax (in Science World) when you're in Vancouver. Coolest theatre ever.
Don't know if you're into hiking but The Chief in Squamish (a little north of Vancouver) is about the best 3-hour hike in the world. Awesome view.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search