The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Alphas eagle has landed! Moto gets "freeze" function, just like Logic!
Old 17th April 2003
Alphas eagle has landed! Moto gets "freeze" function, just like Logic!

MOTU Ships Digital Performer 4
DP4 gains Mac OS X support, 'Freeze Tracks' feature

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (Apr. 15, 2003) -- Mark of the Unicorn today started shipping the long-anticipated Digital Performer 4.0, the latest version of the company's audio and MIDI sequencing production system. The new version gains support for Mac OS X, as well as a wide range of new features, and is available now.
According to MOTU, DP4 takes "full advantage of Mac OS X's modern architecture and built-in MIDI and audio services, delivering never-before-seen features such as CoreMIDI XML MIDI instrument patch lists." The range of adaptations for Mac OS X is fairly broad and includes support for CoreAudio for interoperability between other CoreAudio-compatible applications; support for multiple CoreAudio drivers for supported audio interfaces; support for CoreMIDI for MIDI software interoperability; support for Apple's Audio MIDI Setup utility, along with "easy device remapping" between the old FreeMIDI and CoreMIDI; support for the MIDI time stamping feature in Mac OS X; ability to send and receive a "virtually unlimited" number of MIDI streams to and from other CoreMIDI applications; and support for MIDI device patch lists and drum note names in Mac OS X.

In terms of application-specific enhancements, DP4 gains a new feature called "Freeze Tracks," which allows users to take audio and virtual instrument tracks and temporarily print them to disk, freeing up the CPU for other tasks. The frozen track plays as normal and can be unfrozen whenever a user wants to make a change to it. Other new features include:

* Enhanced menu organization;
* Support for ReWire 2 for "100 percent compatibility" with Propellerhead's Reason and Rebirth;
* Enhancements to the QuickScribe notation transcription engine;
* A new QuickScribe Arrangement palette, which houses elements for creating consolidated scores and lead sheets;
* Enhancements to the appearance of printed scores without affecting playback.

MOTU also says it has a few additional features in the works that will be provided as a free update in the near future. These include support for Audio Units plugins and support for Pro Tools|HD and TDM systems.

MOTU Digital Performer is available now for Mac OS X 10.2 or higher. Upgrades from previous versions run $149. The full version sells for $795. COmpetitive upgrades are available for $395. For more information, visit http://www.motu.com.
Old 17th April 2003
There is only one

i saw this over at unicornation... pretty decent. still waiting for AU compatability before i upgrade as well as the plugins i NEED to be ported over.
Old 17th April 2003
Mindreader

all they need now are some drivers that work

otherwise they're up **** creek

no use having the software when your drivers are giving out kernel panics...

wow they must be ****ing themselves right now, they are going to market REALLY not in shape

Hey, I'm not anti DP or MOTU, I like MOTU hardware. But the ball's in their court on this stuff and their DRIVERS are SHABBY.
Old 17th April 2003
There is only one

another reason why i sit here and wait and still use my DP3.1/OS9.x setup... im not gonna be a beta tester for the switchover. i got to many other things to do.
Old 17th April 2003
Mindreader

confused

i never said anything about the feature set

Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

FWIW, the 7.1 update to Samplitude and Sequoia just went up on the web... It, too, has added a "Freeze" function.

Played with it a bit in Beta testing and while very cool to have, it isn't the best feature to come down the pike.

--Ben
Old 17th April 2003
There is only one

this must be natives answer to DSP chips.... in a backwards way.

im curious though.... does the freeze features on all of these get rid if plugin delay? this plugin latency is MY personal eagle landing... whoever does that best is where im going. auto delay compensation.
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

Sort of... it helps free up CPU in process-intensive mixes. So far, though, on my new PC I haven't even come close to needing it (a P4-2.4GHz). You really can do a lot with the cpus in today's computers.

As for auto delay compensation of plugins, check out Samplitude and Sequoia. Works flawlessly. I get 4000 sample correction for my Powercore and even more for the real-time room simulator. Play for a moment, stop, start again and all delays are worked out. Sometimes you don't even need to do that.

--Ben
Old 17th April 2003
There is only one

URLs? nevermind... what are the differences between the two?
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by BevvyB
confused

i never said anything about the feature set

I guess that means I'm actually the one who was confused. My apologies.

Regards,
Brian T
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
URLs? nevermind... what are the differences between the two?
www.samplitude.com

Samplitude and Sequoia are built on the same basic mix engine. The short answer is that Sequoia is their high-end software and Samplitude is more mid-level.

I'll start with the URL for Sequoia 7.1:

http://www.samplitude.com/de/seq71_info_center.htm

Sequoia has everything that Samplitude offers plus a lot of extra stuff. Probably the coolest thing is the cross-fade editor and 4point editing.

Until recently, there really wasn't much difference between Samplitude and Sequoia. Through version 6.0, the biggest things you saw different were the abilities to do 4-point editing, the fade editor, and some administrative tools.

Since then, there are some pretty siginificant differences (besides the ones I mentioned above). They include support for other sound file formats like SDII, The ability to natively generate DDP (1.01 or 2.0) images for replication, an Impulse response generator tool (for the Real-Time Room Sim), some options for high-end sound restoration plugins (Algorithmix NOVA- at $3000!)... Features will also be showing up in Sequoia from now on before they show up in Samplitude. There are probably others that I'm forgetting, but these are the big ones.

If you have specific questions, drop me a line or reply here...

--Ben
Old 17th April 2003
There is only one

so what does it cost US... all i see is euro.
Old 18th April 2003
Lives for gear

Samplitude list is $999, Sequoia list is $2500. For Samplitude there are numerous cross-grade offers out there through X-Vision Audio, the distributor. At one point I heard that old 6.0 discs were going to be sold for around $500-600 with a free upgrade to 7.

For Samplitude Cross-grades see: http://www.xvisionaudio.com/new/upgrade.html

For Sequoia turnkey systems, there isn't a web page yet, but if you contact me off list I can put you in contact with the guy that is making them. They are sweet boxes with full 24-hour tech support. They aren't cheap, but compared to a PT TDM, Sonic or SADiE rig, they aren't so bad...

If you are doing high-end music work, Sequoia is definitely worth the $$. If for nothing else than the fade editor, room simulator (generator), and DDP export/import. Algorythmix NOVA restoration is an add-on that was just announced. It is expensive, but totally amazing in what it can do... Imagine using a paint brush to wipe out sounds in a recording that you don't like. I've played with it taking out finger squeaks in acoustic guitar.

--Ben
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear