The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
search for nearfield/midfield monitors
Old 15th April 2009
Gear Head

search for nearfield/midfield monitors

After having my bubble burst by the opal event monitors I am still searching.I have a rather large(32x30)single room(with some sound treatment)and a Toft ATB-16 board that is the centerpiece of my gear.I want something that will get loud as well.The problem(as I have seen stated here by many others)is there is no place in my area to audition any mid to high end monitors.Local GC only carries the small stuff.I had thought the JBL LSR6328P or Dynaudio BM15A or similar might be worth checking out.I think there is also a high powered Quested(don't know the model #)My budget is around 2500.00 I don't know if any audio dealers are going to let me buy and then send back 2 pairs of speakers if they are not the right ones for me especially if I have to deal with 2 or more different dealers to find the right speaker.Anyway does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?
Old 15th April 2009
Gear Addict

I am in the same position as you. So far I'm leaning towards Dynaudio BM15 even though I haven't been able to hear them yet. All my local Sam Ash or GC has is the BM6 mkII which sound great. Good luck to us.
Old 16th April 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlennon View Post
I am in the same position as you. So far I'm leaning towards Dynaudio BM15 even though I haven't been able to hear them yet. All my local Sam Ash or GC has is the BM6 mkII which sound great. Good luck to us.
I heard the BM6 mkII and was not thrilled.Of course at my local GC I had to listen to some audio files they had on their computer.They would(or could)not hook up a cd player so I was probably hearing mp3's or something worse.I am interested in finding out more about the BM 15A and the JBL LSR28P.I'm really looking for something with at least 300 watts of total power per speaker for my larger room and the fact that I really do not want to use a sub.Any advice from some of you seasoned ol' pros out there? Does anyone know of a dealer that will let you buy and return speakers until you find the right one?And yes.Good luck to us.I'm afraid we will need it.
Old 16th April 2009
Gear Head

Try Focal Solos or Twins. One happy owner here...

Cheers,
Ed
Old 16th April 2009
Gear Head

Got the Focal Twins and couldn't be happier. Got them from cutting edge. They were great to deal with.
(Nobody round here new what a real speaker was) Solo's or Twins I don't think you can go wrong.

Pro Audio and Video Products Sales, Design and Consulting :: Cutting Edge Audio and Video Group located in San Francisco, California

John
Old 29th July 2009
Gear Nut

I demoed the Focal Twin 6be's and thought they were really nasally and odd. Maybe that would make them translate well but I just didn't enjoy mixing on theme. I'm not typically a fan of 3-way monitors though... too much mid range IMO.

The Focal's are GORGEOUS though! Such a beautiful looking monitor... hope that wouldn't sway you!

I've got a pair of ProAc Studio 100's on a Lexicon 225 amp with a Tapco 10" sub and it's an amazing setup! You can get by in pretty large rooms with ProAcs and a pair of nice subs.

I just ordered a pair of BM15a's and I'm stoked to get them. I'm not much of a fan of the JBL monitors. I had a pair of the 4328's and they were lame... crunchy top end... sold them to a buddy who loves them though! The 6300 series sounded a lot better... the older ones sound better than the newer ones to me as well.

I'd say you've gotta try 'em out. It's so subjective! Call Vintage King Audio, they'll send out some monitors for you to demo.

Rambling is over! Good luck!
Old 29th July 2009
Gear Maniac

If you can, go ATC.

my2p
Old 29th July 2009
Lives for gear

Don't forget to look at the JBL LSR32's

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search