Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by idylldon View Post
Just hope you don't need service.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/moan-...vice-ever.html

Cheers,
--
Don
Probably has to do with the old Event, and people trying to get service during the transition to the new Event (now owned by Rode). Or something to that effect.

Either way, Rode should still honor servicing the older Events (under warranty)---which are probably all out of warranty by now, but at least offer service parts...
Old 26th July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I bought a second hand set of ASP8s directly from Rode. After telling them the speakers were mismatched they offered to freight the monitors interstate and service them for me, for free.
Old 26th July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermz View Post
I bought a second hand set of ASP8s directly from Rode. After telling them the speakers were mismatched they offered to freight the monitors interstate and service them for me, for free.
Probably made a difference that you bought them direct...as you always have the choice of reversing charges, which would be $$ straight outta their account...
Old 4th August 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

In my quest for a set of speakers, I tried the Opals. At first, I was really impressed by the product. But after 2 days, IO realized my mixes were not translating at all, and that I was pushing the mid-range like crazy. Everything was stuck here, and it was really unpleasant to hear. I slowly started to switch back to the studio monitors (BM15A, which I don't like very much for their woofie, bass and carved low-mids), and ended up not using the Opals at all. When I got to the mastering, I realized it had been for the best...

That's my experience with the Opals. I never tried them in another room, though.
Old 6th August 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

My first pair of monitors were event ps8's and the same thing would happen with mid range. They also have few bumps in the 200hz region that I'm not a fan of. I don't see myself ever buying a pair of events for 3k. I feel like their that slutty hot girl u can't trust.
Old 8th October 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

'that slutty girl you cant trust'....LOL!

Just got these in my place of work today. Event have just relaunched opals again, after not the best start 8 months ago -with a few overheating issues-. ALL THESE PROBLEMS HAVE BEEN SORTED! I personally don't feel a loss in mid if use correctly.(positioning etc..)

Let me say that these are certainly worth looking at if your in the market for a new set off monitors. Awesome bass response.Same HF when A/B'd against Genelec/PMC
Old 25th October 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prod_Room View Post
[...]
Same HF when A/B'd against Genelec/PMC
Hmmm... Not the brands I'm very fond of when it comes to sound/colouring. I'm pretty curious about the Opals, but HF character like PMC and Genelec doesn't inspire confidence. Since the HF in (especially) Genelec is ANYTHING but neutral these days...
Lives for gear

I have them in my studio right now and i'm loving them. Things are translating perfectly.
Gear Head

After several months with them now, I'm lovin' 'em. AS far as service, I had one bad one "overheating" when I first get them. Sweetwater took care of it immediately, but I first called Event and they answered right away and were very helpful FWIW.

They are self-noisy a bit - my only complaint. Mixes have sounded excellent on them.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatsonMusicBox View Post
They are self-noisy a bit - my only complaint. .
Haven't they addressed the noise issue?
Lives for gear

I have the demo units from the shop in my studio and they don't suffer from any self noise that I haven't heard before. You have to be about a foot away before you hear anything.
Old 5th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

I've been enjoying reading all the comments on the Opals, but after two months of having a pair on order here in Canada, I'm beginning to wonder how one actually obtains a pair. The distributor for Canada has about 24 pairs on order, and even Sweetwater in the US doesn't have any at this time. There's been no answer to my inquiries made to Event as to when they will ship some here. How is someone elsewhere, for example, able to even get one replaced so quickly? I guess my main questions are: why the long delay in shipping the product to the NA market, and when may we expect delivery? Has Event run into some sort of problem they aren't mentioning?.......playz
Old 7th November 2009 | Show parent
Old 8th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

wow. talk about a glowing review.
Old 9th April 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

If anyone wants to hear my observation. I just brought home the new Opals and checked them next to my Twins.

LINK
Old 26th August 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I am running an Apogee Ensemble through them and I find that the midrange response is excellent. Sounds incredible to my ears! But the only way to know is to go hear them for yourself. Bring your audio interface to the store and plug it in... seriously. It is the only way to really know. Also make sure to take the acoustics into consideration. For example.. If you're sitting in a massive bass null... maybe that's why there's no bass response.

Then again monitors are the most personal thing in the world...
Old 26th August 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I had a little issue i needed to take care of and I found that Event's customer service is top notch. I called their number in Montecito, CA or wherever they are. I was able to reach someone within 30sec... his name was Don. Incredibly helpful and a really nice guy! Thanks Event you guys are the SH*T!!!
Old 14th October 2010 | Show parent
OPAL

Hi.

I just got opals in my studio today.
So far I have worked on events sp8 combined with jbl lsr 6312.
Not thinking much I connected them to my sub, cutted 80Hz and turned them on.
This is my system that is working for me so I decided to throw them on the exact position that my next monitors will go.
At first I was stunned with the details and the space but then I felt them a little fatiguing.
So, I turned down the highshelf a bit and noticed that I didn't switch the tweeters horizontaly.
After those 2 tweeks I was satysfied with the sound.
I decided to tweek 2 mixes with them I was working on the other day and then I WAS STUNNED.
I did corrections to the mix in 30% of the time I would normally spend with no effort and the mixes ware locked.
Now the main test:
My car, highway home, set of ears and 80% of what the speakers can handle (These ware heavy bass mixes, club music)
The mixes are done, I going to sleep well, I think it over a week further but as far as I know right now, I'm not giving them back.

So far I tried Dynaudio air 15
and Adams s3xh
both sent back to the distributors.
These are +- half the price and worked much better in my CR.
Old 15th October 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Good to hear.

Are you still using the sub with them?
Old 15th October 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

We have a pair of SP8's < in each studio ---- and nothing but, exemplary service from Event ~!!
Old 1st November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblond View Post
The lack of clarity and presence of the midrange, could very well be the responsibility of the Presonus Central Station and the lack of distortion of the Opals. Presonus isn't exactly hi-end gear...
Highend or not, the Central Station is purely passive and this is how it sounds.
Old 7th May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marogru View Post
Hi.

I just got opals in my studio today.
So far I have worked on events sp8 combined with jbl lsr 6312.
Not thinking much I connected them to my sub, cutted 80Hz and turned them on.
This is my system that is working for me so I decided to throw them on the exact position that my next monitors will go.
At first I was stunned with the details and the space but then I felt them a little fatiguing.
So, I turned down the highshelf a bit and noticed that I didn't switch the tweeters horizontaly.
After those 2 tweeks I was satysfied with the sound.
I decided to tweek 2 mixes with them I was working on the other day and then I WAS STUNNED.
I did corrections to the mix in 30% of the time I would normally spend with no effort and the mixes ware locked.
Now the main test:
My car, highway home, set of ears and 80% of what the speakers can handle (These ware heavy bass mixes, club music)
The mixes are done, I going to sleep well, I think it over a week further but as far as I know right now, I'm not giving them back.

So far I tried Dynaudio air 15
and Adams s3xh
both sent back to the distributors.
These are +- half the price and worked much better in my CR.
What didn't you like the Adams?
Old 10th June 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman View Post
Here's a different opinion about the midrange in a mix review:

Event Opal Studio Monitors Review in Mix magazine product review of the Event Opal Studio Monitors

"Traditionally the Achilles’ heel in most two-way designs, Opals’ excellent midrange definition and detail made a huge difference when working with vocals, letting me clearly hear nuances in mic/preamp selections when tracking or making subtle signal processing decisions in the mix. And piano/flute/violin session playbacks showcased the invisibility of the crossover point, which was totally seamless. The balance between lows, mids and upper-end was spot-on—at any level—so mixing on Opals was an absolute pleasure. Thanks to the low-distortion performance, there was almost no hearing fatigue, even over long listening periods. You can mix on these for days on end."

=========================================

I have Opals here and I'm loving them. Not having any problem with the midrange. It's hard for me to believe that anyone would complain about the midrange on these. In fact, a producer/engineer friend was here yesterday and he couldn't get over the midrange detail. Same for me. My ugly mixes definitely sound ugly on the opals.

To each, his own. I suppose someone who is used to mixing on NS10s or maybe even Mackies wouldn't like the Opals. I don't particularly like forward mid-range... to me, it's not as musical. But, I'm producing a lot more than I'm mixing. I suppose if you're mixing a lot, forward midrange might be preferable. I wouldn't go by one guys opinion on the Opals though, and I def. wouldn't let it keep you from doing your own audition.

My only beef with the Opals is the self noise. I had Barefoot MM27s here before the Opals and of course they're dead quiet. The Opals aren't. I'm getting a white noise kind of thing and it's annoying when I'm used to zero noise.
Old 10th June 2013
Here for the gear

I borrowed a pair of Opals for a tracking session with all of the band except the drummer in the (large) control room hearing themselves & the drummer thru the monitors, & because of their volume & bass handling they were great for that. Spent next three days listening to vinyl & cds thru them, & I just couldn't relax with them. It was hard to put my finger on it but something just wasn't right, wasn't musical, as if various sonic elements were highlighted, but no coherent image emerged.
I found out shortly afterwards from a former employee that the product development involved primarily measurement, precious little listening.
I too wanted these to be as great as some claim them to be, but that wasn't my experience. I'm hoping the new 3 way Neumanns are the answer for me.
Old 10th June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofhits View Post
I found out shortly afterwards from a former employee that the product development involved primarily measurement, precious little listening.
I find that hard to believe, sorry.
📝 Reply