The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Here a Neve, there a Neve...
Old 4th September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy
People seemed to suggest that the 1272s are very dark, but perhaps too dark for anything like 2buss work.
I would disagree. I use a pair as gain stage for my folcrom, and it kicks a** IMO, particularly for rock stuff.
Old 4th September 2005
urumita

The 1272, 1066 and 1073 all use the same basic circuits to recieve, amplify and transmit audio. For recording vocals or bass or gtr, I prefer the 1066. If you don't insert the eq, the 1066 or 1073 are basically a 1272. These amps were all over the boards like the 8036, my preferred Neve Console. For mixing the 1073 offers more choices for equalization, interestingly enough, 1081 modules will function in the same buckets as the other modules but employ an (at the time) more modern design. You change the gain of a 1272 with a screwdriver and it is intended to recieve and transmit line level signals or buss make up gain or returns etc... (you might as well use the word V72), there was always a buss trim fader after, the extra gain stage may have been a way to simplify production, to use the same PC sketches for different and evolving modules.
I've seen 1073s modded to have an output trim as well, I've never heard of anyone with balls enough to mod a 1066, if you ask me they're perfect, specially with a fader behind it.
In the on going war against noise and crossover distortion, many very musical designs have been made and there are currently hudreds of products that work just fine, new, clone or vintage, my V72s have been working fine with my tube mics for 10 years, before that they were working for someone else, I'm going to send them to Germany when I have the bucks to get cased up and serviced, just superstitious.
Old 5th September 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy
There are so many different Neves: Neve [insert # here] and Pseudo-Neves (Amek and such) and Neve-Clones (Vintech and such) and New-Neves (Neve Portico)...

It seems that every time I look, someone is posting their favorite numbered Neve. I'm looking far something that would be good for line-sweeting on the 2-bus for mixing (funky pop rock), but also be good for tracking female vocals AND give a P-Bass some punch. Can one Neve-esque piece of gear be good for this? I'd like to keep under $2k, but I'm more interested in knowing that I'd be honing in on the right gear.

Any suggestions...?

Thanks,

- proxy
Great River MP 2NV
Old 5th September 2005
Lives for gear

Thank you for the continued responses. I started this topic back in July and it sort of resurfaced right in the middle of my experimentation with my new 1272.

Thanks again for everyone's useful input,

- proxy

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search