The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fmr rnla
Old 15th August 2005
Here for the gear

just talked to Mark at FMR

Hi All, I just talked to Mark at FMR about how to use the rnla and questioned him about the "color" of the rnla compared to the rnc. I also asked him about the low end, bass "buzz" that some are getting. He was straight forward and said that the rnla adds more color or "goo" to music and that musical style and taste will determine if one likes the rnla over the rnc, which is more transparent. For example, I play both classical and acoustic steel string guitar. He said I would not use compression on just classical guitar/songs but on blend of classical and acoustic maybe I could experiment. I like William Ackerman sound from Windham Hill so the RNLA would provide that sound. He recommended for my application to run BOTH the RNC and RNLA, with the Rnc>>>RNLA, using a dual mic set up (AKG 414 XL-II. He said if you run two RNC's, or 2 RNLA's or one of each in a cascade set up, you would eliminate the low end "buzz" that some are experiencing. He said the side chain (into external EQ) would also eliminate the problem. Any how, I will be purchasing one of each for my application of acoustic guitar and some vocals...
Old 17th August 2005
Gear Addict

I just received my RNLA and am wondering what other G-Slutz are doing to run a balanced signal into the unbalanced RNLA inputs. I am really interested in using this on a two-mix but will need a way to connect balanced output to unbalanced input to do so.

I would also like to hear it on the output of my new Purple "Biz" preamp and the same situation will have to be remedied to do so. In fact the only preamp I have with insert points is an RNP and that has an RNC connected to it

Stephen
Old 28th August 2005
Lives for gear

hey guys,
i just received my RNLA a few days ago.

I've left most of my thoughts throughout a thread on OSXAudio.com, so i'll just forward you there as to what i think:

http://www.bigbluelounge.com/forums/...ic.php?t=24124

to append any comments i made there,
I absolutely love this thing. Its exactly what i had been looking for and it would be hard to make me any happier about this purchase. Right now i've been using it on drum sub-mixes. I'm considering buying a 2nd unit for mains leveling, as well as a different firewire audio interface with more ins/outs to accomodate it.
(I'm actually looking for opinions on the Yamaha i88x Firewire and its operation in OSX Tiger, if anyone has any please email me your thoughts to [email protected] )

I own alot of software compressors. including WaveArts TrackPlug, EAS Neodynium, PSP MixPack, PSP Vintage Warmer, and iZotope Ozone 3.
the RNLA still finds a nitch in the music i make and it has even sparked some inspiration into my workflow.
I was considering purchasing either the Sonalksis SV-315 or CQ-1 compressor plug-ins but after demo'ing them i am glad i went with the RNLA instead.
Old 28th August 2005
Lives for gear

I'm still trying to decide whether I like it or not. I have to use it more before I feel comfortable forming an opinion.

Everybody talks about this "goo" and color, but I find the RNLA to be a very clean unit. All this talk of "color" and "goo" seems a bit overstated. I'm very, very, *very* willing to say that I just haven't "gotten it" yet with the RNLA, but so far it isn't doing a lot for me. I've tried it on vocals and drums so far.

Any suggestions as far as your favorite settings or what you used it on that you really loved? I think it must be me, because pretty much everyone is raving about the RNLA and the "goo". I just want some of that goo.
Old 29th August 2005
Gear Nut

Hello!

All of you that have this buzz on bass: Try a bit longer attack and the buzz will go away! On my rnc, settig the attack to about one o'clock is getting the buzz away, after that you shouldn't have problems with shorter release times either... thumbsup

BR T-fonk
Old 29th August 2005
Gear Addict

Welcome Adam!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJay
hey guys,
i just received my RNLA a few days ago.

I've left most of my thoughts throughout a thread on OSXAudio.com, so i'll just forward you there as to what i think:

http://www.bigbluelounge.com/forums/...ic.php?t=24124

to append any comments i made there,
I absolutely love this thing. Its exactly what i had been looking for and it would be hard to make me any happier about this purchase. Right now i've been using it on drum sub-mixes. I'm considering buying a 2nd unit for mains leveling, as well as a different firewire audio interface with more ins/outs to accomodate it.
(I'm actually looking for opinions on the Yamaha i88x Firewire and its operation in OSX Tiger, if anyone has any please email me your thoughts to [email protected] )

I own alot of software compressors. including WaveArts TrackPlug, EAS Neodynium, PSP MixPack, PSP Vintage Warmer, and iZotope Ozone 3.
the RNLA still finds a nitch in the music i make and it has even sparked some inspiration into my workflow.
I was considering purchasing either the Sonalksis SV-315 or CQ-1 compressor plug-ins but after demo'ing them i am glad i went with the RNLA instead.

Welcome to this forum Adam!!! There is a lot of great info here regarding outboard gear!!
We need more techno geeks on this forum!!!!!

Old 3rd September 2005
Gear Maniac

Mercenary

Hey, I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this. (this is a very long thread and I haven't read it all) I'm wondering if Mercenary Audio plans to sell the RNC and the RNLA racked together with the Funk Logic face plate like they do with the dual RNCs? That would be cool.. heh..heh
Old 6th September 2005
Lives for gear

I bought my RNLA's from Merc and they look as though they will fit in the same plates as the RNC's, so go ahead...I was thinking about doing the same thing last night as I looked at my comp rack...

I say go for it!

JvB
Old 9th September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VuucuuV
That's a shame about the RNLA, I was hoping it fixed those low freq problems that I returned my RNC for years ago. It just isn't usable, maybe for crap pop music. Which this alone killed any respect I had for Fletcher's opinions. With problems like this it is NOT a quality product, it is a very limited POP music toy in my book, very overrated.
This seems to be a problem with the digital controller in these units, there was an EEPROM fix for it, which I even requested when I ordered my RNC but it still had the problem, and the support sucked so I never got a straight answer as to whether mine did have the other EEPROM or not. Crappy service 4+ years ago, anyway. Still it probably just reduced the A/R speeds anyway.
DING DING DING

AND THE WEIRDO WOMEN SCORN AWARD GOES TO..................................................... dfegad ....vUUCUUv
Old 9th September 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute
DING DING DING

AND THE WEIRDO WOMEN SCORN AWARD GOES TO..................................................... dfegad ....vUUCUUv
Heh...

I would like to see the R&D department that will change the laws of physics. Maybe they'll eventually make the low E-string on a bas a couple of hundred Hz.....or something.....that would take care of the RNC problem.
Old 13th September 2005
Gear Nut

Adam, you should consider getting one of the Sonalksis Compressors anyway once you can afford it. It's my standard channel compressor and I love it so.

I'm going to get an RNC and RNLA soon but I'm so glad I got the Sonalksis EQs and Compressors. My first decent, finished sounding productions started when I got those and a convolving verb plugin.
Old 13th September 2005
Lives for gear

SOLUTION FOR LOW FREQ PROBLEMS : Simply find something different to use on kick and bass.

Is that so hard ?

It doesn`t sound as if it`s completely unusable on those instruments anyways but if it`s limited find somehthing else.

That shouldn`t detract from it`s ability to sound good on all sorts of other instruments so why put it down so much just for that ?

Lot`s of much more expensive gear is limited as well.
Old 19th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_tempo
Adam, you should consider getting one of the Sonalksis Compressors anyway once you can afford it. It's my standard channel compressor and I love it so.

I'm going to get an RNC and RNLA soon but I'm so glad I got the Sonalksis EQs and Compressors. My first decent, finished sounding productions started when I got those and a convolving verb plugin.
heya, don't mean to necro-jack this thread or anything but i wanted to say that i grabbed the 315 Sonalksis Comp and its very grooooovy. I got tired of waiting for the URS comps to come out as AU, and the new Wave Arts TrackPlug 5 kind of missed my expectations. So i demo'd the 315 and now i love it.

i'll be using the RNLA on the mix bus for subtle glue, and Drawmer DL241/Focusrite Compounder as four channel inserts once i get a new mixing console (hopefully very very soon), but in the meantime the SV-315 is turning out to be my go-to channel compressor. 8thstreet.com had it for $225 USD.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search