The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fmr rnla
Old 31st July 2005
  #61
Gear Addict
 
barforama's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher


are you serious? the only thing different is Supernice/Log,lin.... with the different color knobs knowing which is supernice and log/lin should be easy IMO.
Correct and if we're talkin' about the Merc edition faceplate it is labbeled "TURBO" anyways :-) The only difference will be the red knobs...kinda like a secret weapon. I allready ordered one
Old 1st August 2005
  #62
Gear Addict
 
SpiderM69's Avatar
 

Anyone heard this yet?
Old 1st August 2005
  #63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderM69
Anyone heard this yet?
Mine arrives on Wed.!
Old 1st August 2005
  #64
Lives for gear
 

I'm surprised Fletcher hasn't chimed in, he's selling them so he definitly used one.
Old 1st August 2005
  #65
Lives for gear
 
RichT's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher
I'm surprised Fletcher hasn't chimed in, he's selling them so he definitly used one.
He's probably still recovering from last Friday...

or mopping up the remaining bodies...

Fletcher = Professional Drinker
Old 1st August 2005
  #66
Gear Maniac
 

Was that necessary?
Old 1st August 2005
  #67
Lives for gear
 
RichT's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraz
Was that necessary?
You talkin' to me?

I don't see anyone else here so I guess you must be talkin' to me.

Yes.
Old 1st August 2005
  #68
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichT
You talkin' to me?

I don't see anyone else here so I guess you must be talkin' to me.

Yes.
Yes, I was. I was inquiring as to whether your snide comment about Fletcher was necessary.
Old 1st August 2005
  #69
Lives for gear
 
RichT's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraz
Yes, I was. I was inquiring as to whether your snide comment about Fletcher was necessary.
Who said it was snide?

More like a badge of honour.

Go grow a sense of humour, jeez.
Old 1st August 2005
  #70
Gear Addict
 

fraz, are you canadian?
Old 2nd August 2005
  #71
Lives for gear
 
kevinc's Avatar
 

I thought it was funny but I`m a big lush as well. heh

Bostons (and surrounding areas) a big drinking town.

I`m still not even close to the drinker some of my English friends are so I`m sure Rich knows what he`s talking about.
Old 2nd August 2005
  #72
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youn
fraz, are you canadian?
Yes, I am. Why? Does my accent give it away?
Old 2nd August 2005
  #73
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichT
Who said it was snide?

More like a badge of honour.

Go grow a sense of humour, jeez.
My apologies - just ran across this thread: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/38003-fletcher-london-gearslutz-drink-amp-dinner-friday-july-29th.html

I thought your original comment was out of left field. Sorry about that.
Old 3rd August 2005
  #74
Lives for gear
 
Jim vanBergen's Avatar
 

my two FMR RNLAs just arrived this evening. I'll try to post listening results tonight from a mix I'm working on.

JvB
Old 3rd August 2005
  #75
Lives for gear
 
kevinc's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim vanBergen
my two FMR RNLAs just arrived this evening. I'll try to post listening results tonight from a mix I'm working on.

JvB
COOOL !
Old 3rd August 2005
  #76
Lives for gear
 
Jim vanBergen's Avatar
 

ok, good news and bad news...
the good news is, I REALLY like the RNLA. thumbsup I compared them on this project to four other levelling amps/limiters and feel it again, is an AMAZING value for a great sounding unit that is in the same ballpark as the units I paid $2k for. (Either I'm an idiot or these are really great...) But they are subtlely different from my Purple Audio MC76's, have a nice tone in the LOG mode that takes a lot of work to get a pair of Distressors to get near...

whats the bad news? I wish I had bought FOUR of them for stereo stem mixes, and I kept bouncing around to different tracks and takes and never got around to mixing anything so I have no samples to post. Sorry!


They are not a one-trick pony NOR will is have a signature sound that sounds like nothing else- it's a great all around tool that sounds, IMHO, really similar to a lot of other things- but it's easy to dial in and sounds great right away, as opposed to 90% of my other gear that takes some tweaking to sound great. Again, FMR has amazed me with a product that is HALF of the closest thing in the market but sounding better than things 5x the price.

Now- FMR--- make me an EQ like Dan's Great River, PLEASE? I don't NEED them, but I WANT them!!!!

Jim vB



JvB
Old 3rd August 2005
  #77
Gear Maniac
 
cfjis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim vanBergen
ok, good news and bad news...
the good news is, I REALLY like the RNLA. thumbsup I compared them on this project to four other levelling amps/limiters and feel it again, is an AMAZING value for a great sounding unit that is in the same ballpark as the units I paid $2k for. (Either I'm an idiot or these are really great...) But they are subtlely different from my Purple Audio MC76's, have a nice tone in the LOG mode that takes a lot of work to get a pair of Distressors to get near...

whats the bad news? I wish I had bought FOUR of them for stereo stem mixes, and I kept bouncing around to different tracks and takes and never got around to mixing anything so I have no samples to post. Sorry!


They are not a one-trick pony NOR will is have a signature sound that sounds like nothing else- it's a great all around tool that sounds, IMHO, really similar to a lot of other things- but it's easy to dial in and sounds great right away, as opposed to 90% of my other gear that takes some tweaking to sound great. Again, FMR has amazed me with a product that is HALF of the closest thing in the market but sounding better than things 5x the price.
JvB
Sweeeet...
I get my RNLA on Thursday... can't wait!
Old 3rd August 2005
  #78
How is it with drums?
Old 3rd August 2005
  #79
Lives for gear
 

Got my RNLA today and used it with bass.

Didn't get to use it extensively since we were tracking so when I could I would put it on and listen but decided not to use to disk since I just opened the box! My one complaint is that I almost had to put the release at 10 to get rid of any of the buzzing noise that is associated with faster release times on the lower octaves. I have used a CL1B, LA2A, Meek, and have not noticed quite as muchbuzzing sounds but it seems that you have to really go out of the way on the RNLA release times to get rid of it. Maybe that is just how these things are with the lower octaves of bass. I will try it on vox in the next couple of days.

Maybe someone else can check my experiences with bass on theirs.

Later,
Brian
Old 3rd August 2005
  #80
Here for the gear
 
bjoneill74's Avatar
 

My RNLA arrived today as well.
It's ugly.. I can't wait to get it home and try it though.

I think I'll try it on the inserts of the GR 2 NV first.

I should also order an RNC.
Brian

http://www.stewedyoe.com
Old 8th August 2005
  #81
Gear Maniac
 
grevan's Avatar
 

I got mine today from Mercenary. I used it on some bass and drum tracks. I like it a lot! It is more of a "character" type comp, for sure. I also have an RNC, and that is a cleaner, more "hi-fi" type in comparison. I really want to track some vox and bass with it! For sure worth the $$$$$!
Old 9th August 2005
  #82
Lives for gear
 
kevinc's Avatar
 

Does the RNLA`s compression itself REACT a lot differently than the RNC`s along with the color it adds ?

I`m hoping it`s a different piece alltogether instead of say an RNC with some added saturation.
Old 9th August 2005
  #83
Lives for gear
 
mrbowes's Avatar
 

Can anyone compare the RNLA to the Art Pro VLA?

I already have two RNCs for clean compression, and am currently trying to find a good colored compressor for under $400, and these two (along with the dbx 160x) seem to be the obvious choices.

Anyone?
Old 9th August 2005
  #84
Lives for gear
 
dntknowsht's Avatar
 

Is anyone elsehaving this issue?

I recieved mine a few days ago and have been using it on the drum submix and it's sounding great!
It's really fun to use and easy to get things to sound the way you want.

But I am experiencing a problem.

I discovered this when running it through it's paces.
When I lower the Threshold to extreme levels (which Isn't really necessary, but...)
The "Threshold" control is slightly eratic, as I turn it counter
clockwise, it compresses the signal stronger (as it should) until
about -20, then from -20 to -40 the threshold rises significantly, as
if it was set to +20... It doesn't do this on the two RNC units I
have.

Anyone else notice this???
Old 9th August 2005
  #85
Lives for gear
 
Albert's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dntknowsht
When I lower the Threshold to extreme levels (which Isn't really necessary, but...)
The "Threshold" control is slightly eratic, as I turn it counter
clockwise, it compresses the signal stronger (as it should) until
about -20, then from -20 to -40 the threshold rises significantly, as
if it was set to +20... It doesn't do this on the two RNC units I
have.

Anyone else notice this???
You might want to email Mark at FMR about that. He is very responsive, and if there is an actual problem I'm sure he'd want to know about it ASAP.

As far as the RNLA vs. ART PRO VLA, I'm going to be doing that exact comparison as soon as I get my RNLA. I'll let you know my impressions.
Old 9th August 2005
  #86
Lives for gear
 
mrbowes's Avatar
 

^
awesome - i'm looking forward to hearing your impressions.
Old 9th August 2005
  #87
Gear Maniac
 

pass on it

It didn't work out on bass.
good for the money. but not better than plug ins which are even better for the money.
Old 9th August 2005
  #88
Lives for gear
 
mrbowes's Avatar
 

^
which plugins are you referring to in particular?

UAD?
Old 9th August 2005
  #89
Lives for gear
 
dntknowsht's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert
You might want to email Mark at FMR about that. He is very responsive, and if there is an actual problem I'm sure he'd want to know about it ASAP.
You're telling me. I recieved a phone call from Mark this morning and I also spoke to Jake at Humbucker... I'd have to say I'm very impressed with the excellent service! A replacement is being shipped out today. I'm going to A/B both units under the same circumstances and see if they both react the same.
Old 9th August 2005
  #90
Lives for gear
 
Empty Planet's Avatar
 

Some specifics on why it didn't work out for your bass tracks, please?

Thanks.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump