The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Mic Preamp...
Old 16th April 2003

New Mic Preamp...

Buzz Audio introduces the SSA1.1 Stereo Source Amplifier. The SSA utilizes the same Class A front end as the Buzz MA2.2, and we believe brings a new level of sonic performance to the mid priced preamp arena. US$1299 street price - now shipping.

More info here...

Cheers
Tim
Old 16th April 2003
Gear Addict

I don't think I've heard any other companies gear to be so unispiring, bland and boring as Buzz Audio. Sure it's clean but if that's what you desire then put it up against the Great River MP-2, now that sounds musical.

One of two new Buzz boxes broke down within a week of their first session. A tech concluded that the box is designed with cheap components. Can't say for sure as I'm no tech myself but it was no great loss to see it go.

By the way, the studio owner said that Tim Farrant from Buzz was a real ****** about fixing them which is part why they were sold. The other part was because no-one really ever liked the sound much anyway.
Old 16th April 2003
Lives for gear

gee, you're not a dick or anything denial =P
Old 16th April 2003
Lives for gear

dfegad

Quote:
Originally posted by denial
I don't think I've heard any other companies gear to be so unispiring, bland and boring as Buzz Audio. Sure it's clean but if that's what you desire then put it up against the Great River MP-2, now that sounds musical.

One of two new Buzz boxes broke down within a week of their first session. A tech concluded that the box is designed with cheap components. Can't say for sure as I'm no tech myself but it was no great loss to see it go.

By the way, the studio owner said that Tim Farrant from Buzz was a real ****** about fixing them which is part why they were sold. The other part was because no-one really ever liked the sound much anyway.
Sheesh. Somebody's got a bee in their bonnet.

Must have something to do with ex-girlfreinds...

Maybe it's just a rival audio company, eqiup. designer, who knows, but I mean really, if you don't like something fair enough (and I've never heard or used Buzz so I ain't saying it's not crap) but I hate reading **** like that.

But then again, why am I getting so wound up?

WHATEVER da da da da na na na na (as in the Liam Lynch song heh )

R.
Old 16th April 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Well, he did choose denial as his screen name...

Sorry about the ****head, Tim. Don't be a stranger.

...not to mention that's the one and only piece of negative commentary I've seen on Buzz. Ironic that Dan Kennedy of Great River would strongly disagree with this Buzz basher, ain't it?
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

I know first hand that Buzz makes good products. Sound may be subjective, but build quality is not. I've used some Buzz gear in my time and found the build and sound quality to be excellent. I'm sure this new product is as well. Good luck with it, Tim.
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

Hey Denial,

Before you start slammin someone, esp. with hearsay, think before you write, or go over to PSW and lob your criticisms in there: Tim is a standup guy, and I think his build quality is second to none - too bad the unit you used had problems, but leave the personal identity flaming for PSW...
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

I like my Buzz! I like the way it sounds, I like the way it's built.

Does it get used for everything? Nope, but then neither does the NV.

I'm sorry about the attitude expressed too. I know how hard Tim is and has been working to make the best product he can.

I''m sure he's developing the thicker skin it takes once you put yourself and your products out there for everyone, but it sure sucks to read that kind of crap.
Old 17th April 2003
Gear Addict

Yeah, I realise that my previous post was negative but in all fairness that was the experience with the unit and the manufacturer, so I simply told it how it was.

The audio quality is subjective to likes and dislikes but a warranty should be addressed without a problem and this was not to be the case. In the end the unit was repaired indipendantly despite the fact that it was brand new. Tim just flat out refused to repair it.

It was not my unit so I didn't lose any sleep over it, but unfortunately the studio owner did. Make what you will of it.
Old 17th April 2003

Denial, why do you not post your real name when making such slanderous comments? Let's take a guess - Daniel ??

It's news to me about any unit in AUS being faulty and me not wanted to know anything about putting it right !!

"Tim just flat out refused to repair it" - I don't think so mate !!

Perhaps you could fill me in a little, which studio ? What product was it ? I would like to contact the aforementioned studio owner and find out what happened here.

Tim.
Old 17th April 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yeah, I realise that my previous post was negative but in all fairness
Fairness? It doesn't seem to be your strong suit.

Quote:

It was not my unit so I didn't lose any sleep over it, but unfortunately the studio owner did. Make what you will of it.
Here's what I make of it: You're posted second-hand information, anonymously, backed up with some meatheaded-sounding slams on a well-respected product.

Is there some redeeming value I'm missing here?

Ugh. This is so un-gearslutz.
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

yeesh...
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
So far, so good. Not everyone likes every piece of gear out there. What did you find boring about the unit? Lack of presence? Perhaps they fixed what you didn't like with this new unit...

Quote:
Broke down eh? How so? Not passing audio? Not powering up? Which unit was it? One channel or the whole thing go down?

Quote:
Okay, this is where you lost me. Calling someone a ****** with hearsay is rather childish. It also sounds like they didn't have much trouble selling the broken unit, so someone must like Buzz Audio gear. This is one of the only negative reviews of buzz audio, and it's just too ambiguous to be taken seriously.
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

I like my Buzz MA2, first real pre I brought still have it. Since then brougt a few more pres and sold a few.(kept the Buzz instead of the 9098DMA) I use the Buzz for clean stuff and it works great.
As every one else says sound is subjective, but if the unit did not work.
Who did you talk to about it the OZ distributor or Buzz..
I brought mine straight from Tim what 2-3 years ago and have had no probelms with it.
One bad unit does not mean they are all bad, I have had a few things I have brought from many manafactures open dead/broken from the box.
More to do with bad freight handling then the units them self.
Old 17th April 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:

Here's what I make of it: It wasn't even your unit, so add that up with all the other flaws in your logic and personality you really have no cause to come here and act like a prick. Jules will probably lock this one away eventually. Trash gets thrown out around here.
Old 18th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by The Buzz

Perhaps you could fill me in a little, which studio ?
Tim.
Oh yeah, that will happen. Thanks for coming around Tim, and for being a pro in design and conduct.
Old 18th April 2003

I just want to say to all those in support here....

a big THANK YOU !!

This has to be the most interesting pro audio board on the net right now, full of good stuff. Thanks Jules.

And, going back to my original post, I do hope folks looking at getting a new pre in this price range will seek out the SSA for a listen, it's something new and we think it's excellent value for money. It took a few years to bring it alive and I feel that has paid off.

Thanks again...

Tim.
Buzz Audio
Old 18th April 2003
Gear Head

Do you every notice how some people do their best to create truth by repeating something over and over. They think if they repeat it long enough it will be taken as actual fact.

I guess this means if I get on here and repeat over and over that Rupert Neve or George Massenburg are hacks and they couldn't design their way out a paper bag that would make it true. tutt

Denial
Main Entry: de·ni·al
Pronunciation: di-'nI(-&)l, dE-
refusal to admit the truth or reality

I will go on record that Tim Farrant is one of nicest guys I have met in the audio industry. He is ALWAYS concerned about the quality and reputation of his designs. I have seen him jump through hoops to help people and to go above and beyond what most people expect.

There is not much I can add to Dan Kennedy's comments (the other nice guy in the industry ) except I have seen the MA-2.2 selected over a lot of other mic pres in listening test. Most of these pres cost a heck of a lot more than the MA-2.2 and the words unispiring, bland and boring were certainly not their opinion.

Denial, you are certainly entitled to your opinion and everyone hears a little differently. But, if the Buzz sounded bland then you might want to check for a phasing problem in your signal chain.

And if your tech says it was made with cheap parts then are you sure this guy doesn't rotate tires and change oil for a living. Maybe you dropped it off at the shop next door by mistake.

Now I could understand someone saying that it wasn't their cup of tea. Or you like your GML for the kind of recordings you are doing but bland. I don't think so.

Here is a quote that I copied and pasted from an email I just received about 20 minutes ago. This is a heck of lot more typical reaction to the Buzz.

Quote:
Quick first impression:

As far as the sound - I'm already stunned. I only quickly tested it last night. I had mic plugged into it and that is the first time I have ever heard in the headphones my voice as I hear it in my head. It was like nothing was between my voice and the play back.
Tim, keep the faith and it's great to see ya slummin with the dregs of the audio industry. heh

Lee
Old 18th April 2003
Gear Addict

the Buzz is on my list of gear for 2003!
Old 16th May 2003
Lives for gear

Sorry, I picked up on this thread very late, but I couldn't help but reply.

In my opinion the post by Denial is the biggest load of pish I have ever read on Gearslutz. It is HUGELY disappointing that someone chose to come on here and crack off this bull****, on two counts.

Firstly, the product itself is made to an EXTREMELY high standard. It may not be what everyone is looking for in every given situation, but it is NEVER bland! In my experience it is outstanding for acoustic instruments and voices, and I defy anyone not to find it useful somehow, whatever their setup. I guess the many other pros who choose it as their first pick regularly know jack-**** as well, huh?

More insultingly, the personal attack on Tim Farrant is just bizarre. I have always found everyone at Buzz Audio to be incredibly helpful and attentive, even when I was getting to the pest stage!

Good luck Tim, I will be auditioning the new pre ASAP (!)
Old 16th May 2003
Lives for gear

So much for the silent minority...

The buzz is a great clean pre. end of story... If you don't want chocolate don't order it.
Old 18th May 2003
Lives for gear
BTW, here is a little interview with Mr. Farrant giving some background on Buzz Audio:

www.piemusic.com/mp/buzz.html
Old 28th October 2003
Lives for gear

Should I get the new buzz pre (the cheaper one), or the Ma2.2?
Old 28th October 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Kent
Well, nobody knows your intended applications or voice better than yourself. Go and take a gander at Tim's website. Specifically here:Comparison Chart
Cool chart- thanks!

It sounds like I would want to just go with the top of the line. (MA 2.2).

Is the Buzz MA2.2 a good or bad or average value at around $1400 to $1500 based on the exchange rate?
Old 28th October 2003
Gear Maniac

was Denial's post anything to do with the probability of the All Blacks winning the Rugby World Cup in his own backyard?
Old 10th December 2003
Lives for gear

I just bought the Buzz MA2.2.

Sounded pretty good on check-out.

We'll see how it sounds in serious recording...
Old 1st April 2006
Gear Head

I really cant wait to try a Buzz Ma2.2 sounds like it could be my flavor!
Old 1st April 2006
Lives for gear

denial pulls this often.... Harmless trolling.

It is always an honor and pleasure to hear from brother Tim!! And Dan also...actually all of you manufactures who put the soul in the box for us..!

Thanks for having a presence here...! It doesn't ever go unappreciated.

Much Respect,

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search