The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MAN I'M FREAKIN BURNT AND NEED HELP!!
Old 25th July 2005
MAN I'M FREAKIN BURNT AND NEED HELP!!

Hey yall..

1. Got a vocal booth (8x12 from Vocalbooth.com) but set it up smaller because of the space I'm in (8x8) Does anyone know how can I get the aann sound out while I'm recording vocals. (Using a VM1, C12, Sony Cg800 w/ all kinds of pres... API 312, Neve 1272, Telefunken V72A, Avalon 737, Aphexx 1100) Also I would like to use it to record drums. How can I get a "live" sound out of the room? (sounds to dead and BOXIE)

2. Also I'm getting sound from the surrounding studios through the air vents...(not built well) Any suggestions on how to cut down on that kind of noise?

3.Lastly who's the cat in LA that could come out without charging a leg or arm to check out the situation and help me make it right (from setup to soundcheck) I just wanna get back to making the music and this process is WEARING me OUT!! I realize this is not my area.. I tried (thanks to you guys) but now I'm throwing in the towel as far as putting it together and need some help..
Thanks in advance..
T.

Last edited by 9321; 25th July 2005 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: Not all the info added
Old 25th July 2005
Are you using extreme compression?

If you are it will bring up backlground noise levels a LOT!

Say where you are located (area) , someone local might be able to swing by and put you on track...

Old 25th July 2005
Gear Guru

of all possible shapes for a recording space, squares are usually considered the worst.

if you were 8 x 9 you would probably have a better sound, I wouldn't be surprised if 8 x 7 sounded better as well.

as far as the vents, you could construct some boxes to go over them, and put vents in the boxes on the top or bottom- the air can still travel in or out, but sound has to make a right angle turn to get in.
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

And after you create a box for the vents, line the inside of the box with this:

HVAC Lagging

When I designed my studio I had them line all the ducts with this material.

Rob
Old 25th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
Are you using extreme compression?

If you are it will bring up backlground noise levels a LOT!

Say where you are located (area) , someone local might be able to swing by and put you on track...

Jules... Hey.. I'm in North Hollywood and man I need HELP!! Right now as far as I know I'm not using any compression. I use to have my place in a apt. basement where they had a empty room. Had the most beautiful sounding vocals ever to come out there. Recently I moved into a "studio" space.. Turns out that it's more of a rehearsal hall. But for now I have some things I really need to finish.
We started testing everything last week and it's been a NIGHTMARE. I'm not made for this..
I really need someone (a recommendation from you would be great) to come out and just..... I don't even know I'm totally frustrated..

Help please
Tim
Old 25th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq
of all possible shapes for a recording space, squares are usually considered the worst.

if you were 8 x 9 you would probably have a better sound, I wouldn't be surprised if 8 x 7 sounded better as well.

as far as the vents, you could construct some boxes to go over them, and put vents in the boxes on the top or bottom- the air can still travel in or out, but sound has to make a right angle turn to get in.
Is it any way that I could make it so it won't be so square.. We set the mic up facing the triangular corner if that makes since to you.. But that aann, pinched nose sound is definitely there with that box sound...
As far as the boxes go can you be a little more detailed as far as that. I'm not the most engineering kind of person... So when you say boxes. do you really mean "boxes" like cardboard, etc.? How big a box if you mean so? If you mean woodboxes do I need any padding in them? Do you have some pics where I could see what you're talking about?
Thanks so much,
T.
Old 25th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riad
And after you create a box for the vents, line the inside of the box with this:

HVAC Lagging

When I designed my studio I had them line all the ducts with this material.

Rob
Rob, judging by the site it would seem that the question I asked earlier would mean that I need woodboxes... Do you feel that you really could hear the noise level disappear with this in?
Thanks guys
T.
Old 25th July 2005
Perhaps you could beg James Lugo of the Vocal Asylum to come over..

http://www.jameslugo.com/contact.shtml

he's one of the 'good guy' gearslutz in LA... and he is bound to know a few things about recorded vocal sounds...

Get in delivery sushi?
Old 25th July 2005
Quote:

he's one of the 'good guy' gearslutz in LA... and he is bound to know a few things about recorded vocal sounds...

Get in delivery sushi?
Jules, does this cat also know about drums being in the same room and getting them to sound good too?
Man I'll get in sushi, chicken, breakfast buffet, or whatever to get this stuff right..

BTW- Did I mention the freakin ground hum? I am in hell... Any suggestions on a strip or box that could reduce that?
Thanks,
Tim

Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunkyt
Rob, judging by the site it would seem that the question I asked earlier would mean that I need woodboxes... Do you feel that you really could hear the noise level disappear with this in?
Thanks guys
T.
It would certainly help... if you can have someone actually visit your space it would be better.
Old 25th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riad
It would certainly help... if you can have someone actually visit your space it would be better.
Got any body you know on this end?
T
Old 25th July 2005
Gear Guru

I got the impression from rereading your original post that you are trying to set up your recording studio in a building where the adjacent rooms are being used as rehearsal spaces. Is this correct? If it is, I would say you are setting yourself up for neverending heartache.

Get out now. I am serious.

If you need neverending heartache in your life, date an actress.
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Got any body you know on this end?
T
Unfortunately, I don't. Sorry dude.
Old 25th July 2005
Quote:
I got the impression from rereading your original post that you are trying to set up your recording studio in a building where the adjacent rooms are being used as rehearsal spaces. Is this correct? If it is, I would say you are setting yourself up for neverending heartache.

Get out now. I am serious.

If you need neverending heartache in your life, date an actress.
Dude.. Can I say that I've already had that headache and what a headache it was.. However, I can control this situation with a few tips from you guys and scheduling. What I mean is during the day no one's there til about 6-10:30. No prob for me, this is what I do.. As well as being a night owl. I'm DEFINITELY looking for another room but in the meantime I need to get some stuff done... It was originally told to me to have more studios with all this extra insulation and of course that is not the truth. But for now I can work around it..
Old 25th July 2005
Quote:

Get in delivery sushi?
Thanks man.... I spoke with James and we're gonna get together round 11:30pm.. Keep you posted with how it works out... He had a lot of info about the room for vocals just as you said...
T
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Is it any way that I could make it so it won't be so square.. We set the mic up facing the triangular corner if that makes since to you.. But that aann, pinched nose sound is definitely there with that box sound...
As far as the boxes go can you be a little more detailed as far as that.
here is a diagram of my idea for the box. Use the stuff Riad linked to for the lining

the box would need to be made out of wood or something with some mass, not cardboard. The longer the box the better it would be at soundproofing the vent.

as for the squareness, repositioning yourself in a square box won't do much. Perhaps you could build a false wall along one side of the booth and put it at a slight angle. I get the impression you modified the original 8x12 booth to get your current 8x8. Perhaps you could un modify it? go to 8x10? even 8x6 would sound better I betcha. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
MAN I'M FREAKIN BURNT AND NEED HELP!!-untitled2.jpg  
Old 26th July 2005
Quote:
here is a diagram of my idea for the box. Use the stuff Riad linked to for the lining

the box would need to be made out of wood or something with some mass, not cardboard. The longer the box the better it would be at soundproofing the vent.

as for the squareness, repositioning yourself in a square box won't do much. Perhaps you could build a false wall along one side of the booth and put it at a slight angle. I get the impression you modified the original 8x12 booth to get your current 8x8. Perhaps you could un modify it? go to 8x10? even 8x6 would sound better I betcha. Good luck.
Thank you. Yes I did modify the booth.. However I'm not sure if I can do an 8x10 because the panels left are made to specification to make out the rest of the booth. I guess I could get someone to come in and cut the panels up a bit to kinda make them fit not sure, just off the top of my head...

I will try to do the slight angle thing. I still wanna be able to cut drums in there so I don't wanna take it down in size..
Thanks for the help..
T.
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I also own a Vocal Booth (4x8). You are right, it is DEAD in there. I only use mine to record up close vocals so for me it's perfect. However, I have learned a few things about how to get the most out of it.

First off, don't have anything in there unless it is absoutely necessary. No music stands, stools, extra lights, etc. Because the area is so small anything can reflect sound waves and give you a weird phase type of sound.

Also, I had a problem with the foam on the ceiling falling off. (I'm not sure if you had this problem.) A friend of mine who also owns one had the same problem. At first I just took off the foam off and kept on recording. But that created a nasty ring in the booth so I had to put it back on by nailing it to the ceiling.

Vocal Booth also recommends getting some wood panels (Home Depot) to put against the walls if you want a more room sound. You can always thake them in and out depending on your situation.

As far as noise bleeding in, there is really not much you can do. I built an extra wall all around the booth to isolate it even more and that seemed to help a lot. If space is a concern then really you can't do anything.

By the way, have you called Vocal Booth to express your problem? Their customer support is excellent and should be able to help you right away. Good luck man.
Old 26th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGeek
I also own a Vocal Booth (4x8). You are right, it is DEAD in there. I only use mine to record up close vocals so for me it's perfect. However, I have learned a few things about how to get the most out of it.

First off, don't have anything in there unless it is absoutely necessary. No music stands, stools, extra lights, etc. Because the area is so small anything can reflect sound waves and give you a weird phase type of sound.

Also, I had a problem with the foam on the ceiling falling off. (I'm not sure if you had this problem.) A friend of mine who also owns one had the same problem. At first I just took off the foam off and kept on recording. But that created a nasty ring in the booth so I had to put it back on by nailing it to the ceiling.

Vocal Booth also recommends getting some wood panels (Home Depot) to put against the walls if you want a more room sound. You can always thake them in and out depending on your situation.

As far as noise bleeding in, there is really not much you can do. I built an extra wall all around the booth to isolate it even more and that seemed to help a lot. If space is a concern then really you can't do anything.

By the way, have you called Vocal Booth to express your problem? Their customer support is excellent and should be able to help you right away. Good luck man.
Thanks a mill.. I actually have panels left because we didn't build the whole room. So I'll try your trick as well... Actually someone came by tonight and was really good with helping as well...He also said that I should take EVERYTHING out of that room.. We did and it made a huge difference (music stands, clav, and lights...)
I will shoot vocal booth a call.

Thanks a lot,
T.

Old 26th July 2005
Quote:

Get in delivery sushi?
Jules.. Thanks a lot. James came over. He had a wealth of info and tricks to help out. He wouldn't take money or anything.. Couldn't have met a better selection of people. He also hooked me up with getting a room where he is (lucky for me, my lease is up this month) so if all works out my noise bleeding in problem will be solve as well..
Hey guys I'm so thankful to you all..
Tim
thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search