The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bomb Factory Plug-Ins
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

Bomb Factory Plug-Ins

What do you guys think of the Bomb Factory line of plug-ins? I have no experience with any of the units they are "cloning", but I do find the plug ins very useful. For example, when I use the La-2a plugin, I find it can really smooth out the dynamics of a vocal or guitar in a very transparent way, yet as far as tone, I don't really notice to much of a change. The 1176 also seems to work well for drums, (as I assume the real deal would), but is there quite a bit more to these units then these plugins offer? What about the others, Fairchild, Sansamp, La-3a. etc. Any thoughts?
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Moog

We've got the moogerfooger bundle, and it gets a thumbsup all the way around here.
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

I love the Bomb Factory Voce Spin (not so much the Voce Chorus.) The Tel-Ray is fun once in a while.

The compressors, I don't love. Haven't had one stay in a mix except for once when I really had to chew something up; then I used the BF76.
Old 25th July 2005
Here for the gear

I love the BF76, it's my compressor of choice now.
Old 25th July 2005
Gear Addict

When they first came out, they seemed like a godsend, compared to the other compressor plugins available. Now, I still find them useful, but their sonics aren't quite what I'd like. I'm ready for the next generation...

Comparing the plugins to the hardware they emulate is... painful, for the most part. You can hear the similarities, but the hardware just sounds better, usually much better, when I've had a chance to compare.

As massive as the price difference is, I'm pretty much committed to using the real thing when I can. That isn't always, so the plugs stick around.

FWIW, I much prefer the Purple Audio plugin to the original 1176 plug, but maybe I'm just being deceived by the pretty colors.
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

UA's kill BF.
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

I've found them extremely useful, not having the benefit of their hardware originals at my current disposal (which would cost a boatload of $$$ not immediately at my disposal).

They don't sound/respond exactly like the hardware originals, so don't treat them like they should, and you'll get great results. Use them for what they are: software plugins. Feel them out in action, find settings that work for the application at hand, and tweak til you get desired results.

Most peeps listen to music on computer speakers, iPods and car stereos - they don't care if you have a pair of real 1176s or use the BF plugin version, they just care if your mix rocks. The BF plugs help ITB mixes rock out, that's what they're for.

I love the BF 1176, use it a lot for all kinds of stuff. It's great for crushing parallel compression, on rock vocals, and the mixbus.

The LA2A is great on the mixbus for a soft ballad, or mellow vocalists.

The Moogerfooger Lowpass Filter does some delicious voodoo on basslines (little secret there), and the Moogerfooger Phaser funks up guitar tracks that are too plain-jane sounding.

The Fairchild 660 is cool for making an enemic bass track pump to life (#1 Time Constant setting), or vocals (#'s 3 or 4 Time Constant).

SansAmp: Great tool...sometimes the guitarist has left the building and you think, "Hmmm, wouldn't it be great if that bit right there was distorted??"...hit it with the SansAmp, OR duplicate the guitar track in question and soak THAT with SansAmp fuzz, and blend it into the mix. Another trick I love to use the SansAmp with: The mix needs some grunge, but you don't want to touch the guitar tones, so what do you do? Try this: Duplicate the bass track, soak it with SansAmp fuzz, and blend it in with the clean bass track... Works like a charm, I do it all the time.

The Pultec EQP-1A has gotten me out of a jam a few times when I just couldn't figure out what the hell to do about a ****ty sounding acoustic guitar or a dull sounding drum bounce, and those factory presets came in handy for a jumping off point (I know, I know, George Massenburg says there's no use for EQ presets, but I differ with him on this one teeny tiny exception).

The Voce Spin is cool for funking things up gratuitously, like a measure or two of a stereo drum bounce, or a vocal effect, guitar, a dry synth patch, etc.

Bear in mind, I come to this racket as a guitarist with a love for stompboxes, so I approach the whole plugin issue as a "fun" thing that doesn't make things sound "good" so much as make things sound "cool." It's a different philosophy from the audio engineers who will say "The plugins sound flawed" or whatever, because the aim is making a cool sounding mix, not necessarily one which will pass some AES panel of golden ears. Nome sayn?

Happy hunting!
Old 25th July 2005
Here for the gear

Recently bought the new UA TDM plug-ins - both the 1176 & LA2A, along with their Pultec EQ . Simply awesome plugins that sound way better to my ears than the BF equivalents. With those & the URS eq's, any mix engineer would be able to pull a half decent mix. Still use the BF Fairchild emulation though (& various other BF plugins).

Take care

Gio
Old 25th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Some of the BF effects plugins are useful (spin, moog ones), but the compressor emulations don't really seem faithful at all. The UA plugins kill the BF compressors...
Old 25th July 2005
SansAmp - rules for distorting drums
Old 25th July 2005
Gear Guru

I like the Sansamp too..
the others just sound flat to me..
as for the real units .no comparison..
the UAs sound better than the BF's to me as well.
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

thanks for all the info guys, it's good to know the UA plug ins sound better than the BF ones in most people's opinion. I am pretty impressed with the BF package I've got, but its good to know there's more out there.
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio.g
Recently bought the new UA TDM plug-ins ... With those & the URS eq's, any mix engineer would be able to pull a half decent mix.
Perhaps the word "good" should be inserted before "mix engineer"?
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

I really like the TelRay, on the last project I did, most songs had two aux channels set up with the TelRay used for adding a more diffuse, 'oily' echo and the Digidelays for precise rhythmic delays.
I really like the TelRay on vocals.

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I'm a big fan of sans amp for some nice parallel dirt on rock vocals
Old 28th July 2005
Here for the gear

try the UA plugs..... you candemo them for 15 days. The UA comps are much smoother than the BF versions
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

LOVE the 1176 on snare and Kick. The La2a on vox and bass. The fairchild on vox works pretty good as well.
Old 28th July 2005

I preferred ridiculous four button abuse on the BF 1176 to the UA version. The UA plug distorted in a less pleasing way. The UA plug was waaay more satsifying in less extreme situations than the BF 1176 tho!
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curve Dominant

Most peeps listen to music on computer speakers, iPods and car stereos - they don't care if you have a pair of real 1176s or use the BF plugin version, they just care if your mix rocks.
Well, in that case, it doesn't matter if you use the BF plug or some free VST plug.

Personally, I don't care what "most peeps" do.

Can you imagine George Martin saying to the boys, "listen fellas, most peeps don't care about this shizzle, they listen on transistor radios and wack little stereos playing warped 45s, so why the fizzuck should we care how these beats sound, as long as the mix rocks! I say we chuck out the Neumanns and the Fairchilds and the Studers and buy an Mbox and Fruity Loops! Can I get a whut whut fellas?"
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

I have to agree with JP11 on this one! I think that the differences between the sound of plugins like the BF stuff vs. their hardware counterparts do translate quite glaringly even on the worst of systems. Sure it will all sound like tweezy **** on ipod earbuds, but it will be better sounding tweezy **** with hardware, and that matters, at least to me.

Not to say that some of the BF stuff isn't useful, but lately I've been only using Voce Spin and Tel-Ray, and that's about it. The compressors make me cringe.
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

I track with a vintage 1176 in the chain, but I usually only compress lightly (ie. the Dr. Pepper setting). So when it comes to mix time, I use the BF76 plugin and it works great. I think it's because the track already has real 1176 in the first place in there so compressing it further with the plugin still sounds authentic since it was authentically tracked.
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
I track with a vintage 1176 in the chain, but I usually only compress lightly (ie. the Dr. Pepper setting). So when it comes to mix time, I use the BF76 plugin and it works great. I think it's because the track already has real 1176 in the first place in there so compressing it further with the plugin still sounds authentic since it was authentically tracked.

I totally agree, I alos track with a 1176 in the chain, so when it comes time to compress later on, theres very little needed. But quite honestly I do believe the BF1176 and the other BF compressors sound like ass. I prefer Rvox (waves). Really mcdsp Ua and sony all kill Bf when it comes to compression, for what I do, mileage may vary.
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakemoss
try the UA plugs..... you candemo them for 15 days. The UA comps are much smoother than the BF versions
You can demo the UA plugins for 15 days . . . if you already own a UAD-1 card.

And another vote for the UA compressors over BF
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace
I know this is a silly question and I should know this, but what are the settings for short and long release and attack on the BF1176?
is short release turned to the right or left?
and is short attack right or left?
Depends what your definition of 'short' is.

All the way left is slowest attack, all the way right is fastest (shortest?) release. That's also my fave setting on the 1176 ('all-in' not to be dimissed naturally)

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

Now that I think of it, I have rarely if ever used the "All In/British Mode/Nuke" setting on my rev B 1176,

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search