The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
cheesy pop you SHOULDN'T like, and yet...
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Andi,

Try the Catch Bull AT Four CS albums next.
And which Movie was it that featured Cat Stevens tracks so nicely ... Harold And Maud ... ?

Interesting signature you have there. Shows what a dumb that Sinatra was, besides of politically anyway. In fact curious how he played in a couple of movies that had some intelligence to them. He should had rejected them for too much depth.

Yeah, NY NY was a classic, but the guy had the one-trick-pony-and-always-the-same-diaphragm-low-squeez going anyway. Totally unnatural.

Flame on fans out there.

he he he heh

Ruphus
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruphus
Interesting signature you have there.
In fact, the 'signature' was taken from the aforementioned Elvis box set, Sinatra sang with Elvis later on though. Only an idiot never changes his opinion....

Funny Ruphus how you bemoan the perceived lack of appreciation for Mr. Stevens' (or should I say Mr. Islam's) work while you seem to only see the clichéd (non-musical) aspects of both Sinatra's and Presley's carrers.

Listen to Sinatra's 'Only the Lonely' for example. I never heard a more HEARTFELT performance from ANY singer. It blows your mind, it's the pinnacle of the art of phrasing. Nelson Riddle's arrangements don't exactly suck either.
Hell, MILES DAVIS cited Sinatra as his main influence. Listen to 'Sinatra at the Sands', Count Basie Orchestra conducted and arranged by Quincy Jones. The pinnacle of swing and unforced power. Jazz at its best.

Or rather stick to Barclay James Harvest?

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

I dj'ed at an Italian Restaurant one time, and I thought it would be appropriate to bring some Frank Sinatra with me...The conversation with the Italian owner went like this............

Me: Well sir, what kind of music would you like me to play tonight ??

Owner: Playa da young music, doonna play no Got damn Frrrank Sinatrrra.

Me: Huh ?? No Frank Sinatra ?? How come ??

Owner: Cause, alla da Frrrrank Sinatrrrra fans, dey a getting old, anna hava da ulcers, anna come inna mya bar, drinka da milk. See dat old guy over der ?? He's a Frrrank Sinatrrra fan anna sits inna mya bar anna drinka da milk all night.....now howa da hell am Ia gonna maka any money, ifa everybody drinking milk ????

I wanna you play music for the young people, dey dance anna buya drinks, anna I make da money. NO Frrrank Sinatrrra !!!!!!!

Me: Ya okay....

heh
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker
In fact, the 'signature' was taken from the aforementioned Elvis box set, Sinatra sang with Elvis later on though. Only an idiot never changes his opinion....

Funny Ruphus how you bemoan the perceived unhearlding of Mr. Stevens (or should I say Mr. Islam) while you seem to only see the clichéd aspects of both Sinatra and Presleys carrers.

Listen to Sinatra's 'Only the Lonely' for example. I never heard a more HEARTFELT performance from ANY singer. It blows your mind, it's the pinnacle of the art of phrasing.Nelson Riddle's arrangements don't exactly suck either.
Hell, MILES DAVIS cited Sinatra as his main influence. Listen to 'Sinatra at the Sands', Count Basie Orchestra conducted and arranged by Quincy Jones. The pinnacle of swing and unforced power.

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
For your information: I am atheist and the religion I like the least is Islam.

How do you feel in analyzing today?
hihihi

Well, to my ears Stevens´ music appears more ... how shall I say ... serious? Expensed? Multi dimensioned in song progression, arrangement and interpretative many-sided? Sophisticated cheese?

Something like that.

Sinatra without his mafia connection would had not come to stage. Eventhough this is not to deny certain abilities. Only too few in singing palette. Less even natural singing.

BJH?
You´d be glad if more of the MTV producers had at hand the skills of those guys. And if you want an example of remarkable sound quality check out the album XII.

Ruphus

PS: I love the guitar and he could not only really sing but play, damn he could.
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwayne
I dj'ed at an Italian Restaurant one time, and I thought it would be appropriate to bring some Frank Sinatra with me...The conversation with the Italian owner went like this............

Me: Well sir, what kind of music would you like me to play tonight ??

Owner: Playa da young music, doonna play no Got damn Frrrank Sinatrrra.

Me: Huh ?? No Frank Sinatra ?? How come ??

Owner: Cause, alla da Frrrrank Sinatrrrra fans, dey a getting old, anna hava da ulcers, anna come inna mya bar, drinka da milk. See dat old guy over der ?? He's a Frrrank Sinatrrra fan anna sits inna mya bar anna drinka da milk all night.....now howa da hell am Ia gonna maka any money, ifa everybody drinking milk ????

I wanna you play music for the young people, dey dance anna buya drinks, anna I make da money. NO Frrrank Sinatrrra !!!!!!!

Me: Ya okay....

heh
heh heh
Old 29th July 2005
500 series nutjob

Quote:

Funny Ruphus how you bemoan the perceived lack of appreciation for Mr. Stevens' (or should I say Mr. Islam's) work while you seem to only see the clichéd (non-musical) aspects of both Sinatra's and Presley's carrers.

Listen to Sinatra's 'Only the Lonely' for example. I never heard a more HEARTFELT performance from ANY singer. It blows your mind, it's the pinnacle of the art of phrasing. Nelson Riddle's arrangements don't exactly suck either.
Hell, MILES DAVIS cited Sinatra as his main influence. Listen to 'Sinatra at the Sands', Count Basie Orchestra conducted and arranged by Quincy Jones. The pinnacle of swing and unforced power. Jazz at its best.

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch

Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

"Indian Reservation" - (Cherokee People) was, I believe, the last gasp of Paul Revere and the Raiders (Mark Lindsay) on the charts.

Paul Revere and the Raiders were f***ing great, too!

"Kicks"

"Good Thing"

"Him Or Me"

Probably cheese in SOMEbody's book.. I called it rock and roll.

Steve Miller may have WRITTEN a few decent songs, but his choppy, fomulaic triple tracked delivery makes me cringe and swan dive for the ON / OFF button.
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruphus
For your information: I am atheist and the religion I like the least is Islam.
I said Mr. Islam because that's his name these days, nothing more. BTW, here's a little interview I found while Amazon-ing:http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...710998-6530459

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch

BTW: Funny how you insist on the 'political incorectness' of Sinatra when in reality he was a major force in integrating the unfortunately still vastly segregated US entertainment landscape of 50ies and on.

It would also do you good to study a bit the history of the Mob in US entertainment. Especially the role it took during and after Prohibition.
I guess you like 'tabloid revelations' a lot, as you proofed with your ZZ Top theories in another thread.

Personally, I rather listen to the music and don't judge people by cheap press reports.
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Ah, ABBA's "Dancing Queen". Shivers, indeed. BRILLIANTLY produced, maybe one of the best ever. A tad shrill in the upper mids, but you DON"T GIVE A TOSS!

I love whipping out all of the cheesy dance oldies from the eighties, when the jukebox at the bar is down and I have to play break music.

All those Über Hip Kidz who would happily punch in the latest thing from Fuel or Cold or Breaking Benjamin or Jet.. all singing along at the top of their lungs.

Music that makes people happy NEVER goes out of style. And cheese pop has a place in most honest museo's and AE's hearts. As it should
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnerabb
Music that makes people happy NEVER goes out of style. And cheese pop has a place in most honest museo's and AE's hearts. As it should
Word to the bunnerabb...

Speaking of which, I have to admit that the Bugs Bunny theme song pops into my head at the oddest moments -

Tonight what heights we’ll hit...
On with the show this is it!
bwaah, bwaah, bwaah, bah, bupaah - bah, bupaah...
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Guru
Yes- Sinatra produced mountains of cheeze. But check out The Capitol Years set. The ones with the big ring-a-ding swing arrangements by Nelson Riddle. Great stuff, and any singer in the world could learn something from a true master of phrasing.
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnerabb
"Indian Reservation" - (Cherokee People) was, I believe, the last gasp of Paul Revere and the Raiders (Mark Lindsay) on the charts.

Paul Revere and the Raiders were f***ing great, too!

"Kicks"

"Good Thing"

"Him Or Me"

Probably cheese in SOMEbody's book.. I called it rock and roll.

Steve Miller may have WRITTEN a few decent songs, but his choppy, fomulaic triple tracked delivery makes me cringe and swan dive for the ON / OFF button.
Hey, thanks for the tips! Bookmarked about the Paul Revere and the Raiders, hoping to find some nice new old stuff.

Quote:
I said Mr. Islam because that's his name these days, nothing more. BTW, here's a little interview I found while Amazon-ing:http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...710998-6530459

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch

BTW: Funny how you insist on the 'political incorectness' of Sinatra when in reality he was a major force in integrating the unfortunately still vastly segregated US entertainment landscape of 50ies and on.

It would also do you good to study a bit the history of the Mob in US entertainment. Especially the role it took during and after Prohibition.
I guess you like 'tabloid revelations' a lot, as you proofed with your ZZ Top theories in another thread.

Personally, I rather listen to the music and don't judge people by cheap press reports.
Thank you for the link, but I took notice of Cat Steven´s switching from orthodox Greek church over Buddhism to Islam at the times when it occured and know of his religious passion ( as well as of his careers end as a crooner-styled, suite dressing, mic-holding interpret on US TV in the early eighties. )

If you think anything was proven about ZZTop in the other thread then it might prove your preference. At least it seems to have proven to you the innocence of the group and helped your conclusion from it, which I fail to see by facts submitted yet. ( Eventhough liking the idea, thus not considering the KKK story for now.)

And here is a quickly googled link for you regarding a right wing opportunist´s professional career. http://crimemagazine.com/sinatra.htm
There is also included a link to FBI documents.

Not that I´d think FBI documents to be all about conscious observation, but hardly anybody could invent all that diverse mafia networking and mutual services - and even more or less accidental bodies, while there is no denial about him clinging to relevant heads like US presidents. Trying and succeeding in washing off his agenda in official boon.

Yes, personally I listen to the music too, and as you must have overlooked still used to appreciate e.g. ZZ Tops music despite possibly questionable background, for it being good stuff musically.

-

Basically, still I prefer true artists before careerists and just as well do I prefer progressive minds before career- and cash-driven opportunists.

Ruphus
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRobb
a true master of phrasing.
Agreed: A characteristic that I wouldn´t contest.

Ruphus
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Ahhh, Gearslutz. Where a fun thread about cheezy pop digresses into Islam, the KKK and the mafia!

-Synth80s
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

Check out this version of Dancin Queen.

Download the show and go to 26:50.

ABBA rules (even if they are Swedish-Had to say that I'm leaving for Norway today)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search