The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
cheesy pop you SHOULDN'T like, and yet...
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

Is that new Kelly Clarkson single a Matrix track?

I have to admit I'm rocking that one secretly..
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi7
Tears For Fears. Especially "Sowing the Seeds of Love". Crowded House is another.
Okay, I admit it- I like "Everybody Wants to Rule The World".
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Guru

hang on, people consider crowded house cheesy? i always thought they were classy pop, guys in dapper suits singing to me while i sip martinis and chat up svelte blondes in mod microminis.

that's my story, i'm stickin' to it.

gregoire
del ubik
Attached Thumbnails
cheesy pop you SHOULDN'T like, and yet...-micromini.jpg  
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Maniac

"Video killed the radio star" - Buggles
"Found Out About You" Gin Blossoms
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Addict

It was cool to hate the Spice Girls, but I dug them, bigtime, especially "Goodbye My Friend"
Still love the Carpenters. Infact, just loaded up my Ipod with a bunch of Carpenters tunes.
And that Vanessa Carlton's "1000 miles" is just bad-ass.
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

I'm really pouring here: "Boys of Summer" - Henley. Not cheesy,
but macaroni perhaps?

ruudman
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear

What about the Go Go`s and Bananarama ???

Have I pushed the envelope too far ???
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRobb
Fountains of Wayne- Welcome Interstate Managers
I'm a sucker for "clever" and damn! that stuff is clever.
I think FoW are some of the best songwriters around. Utopia Parkway is at least as good as Welcome Interstate Managers, and the debut album is good, too.

I just bought the new B-Sides collection "Out of State Plates" which proves that the songs that these guys throw away are better than most album material.
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi7
Tears For Fears. Especially "Sowing the Seeds of Love". Crowded House is another.
See, here are two bands that I don't consider cheesy at all and I don't think should be embarassing for anyone to admit to liking. To be honest, they are two of my favorite bands of the last 20 years. Though I know a lot of people don't take many (any?) bands from the 80s seriously on account of electronic instrumentation, glossy production or image alone, both of these bands fit my basic criterion for "solid pop that I greatly respect." Why?

1) The songwriting is strong, melodic and catchy, not just gimicky or stylish
2) The artist / band members play musical instruments and show obvious ability
3) The music stands the test of time -- it doesn't represent a temporary, popular sound or a fad that once was big, but rather evidence of real talent

Basically, I think a strong song is one that could be popular in almost any decade, one that could be instrumented 10 different ways and still shine through. Crowded House (and basically anything Tim Finn has done) and Tears For Fears have written some excellent songs even aside from the big hits. For me, "Woodface" represents some of the best songwriting of the 90s.

And, since I've come this far, let me also proclaim that The Finn Brothers' 2004 album ("Everyone is Here") is fantastic and Tears For Fears recent reunion album ("Everyone Loves a Happy Ending") is arguably their strongest or at least 2nd strongest album of their career. It relies much more on strong songrwriting than production (which, as much as I like it, I can't say about "Songs From the Big Chair"). If you haven't heard either of these two albums, I strongly recommend given them a spin.

Phew....
Synth80s (who realizes that the 80s also surfaced a lot of crap)
Old 28th July 2005
Here for the gear

Ok, I'm blushing here, but how about these: Nik Kershaw "the Riddle", Munchener Freiheit "Everytime" and "I'm so in love with you", Belinda Carlisle "Circle in the sand" and "Heaven is a place on earth". I actually listen to some of this on my iPod, but turn it down low when passing people....
Hard to tell if it's just memories connected to the songs or the songwriting, but to me, the 80's had some moments of great writing, drowned in Simmons toms, D50s, Boss chorus and gated reverb, though.............

Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

early beatles.

most elton john.

most eagles. (love 'em)

dave grusin's 'mountaindance' album.

david benoit 'freedom at midnight' and 'urban day dreams' albums.

norah jones. (die for that voice)

diana krall. (the smoothest sound)

joe cocker.

lionel ritchie in the good old eighties (hello, stuck on you....)

time after time by cindy lauper (did you know that miles davis has covered it?)

i have, in my school days been a fan of reo speedwagon and europe.

won't sink any lower than this in public.

self.
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Head

time after time is one of the most classic songs of all time for me. cyndi lauper is a classic writer, dyed hair or not. didn't William Wittman from here record/produce this? If so, massive respect to you. i've known more than a few metalheads that bow down to this song hahahhahaha
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfavila
time after time is one of the most classic songs of all time for me. cyndi lauper is a classic writer, dyed hair or not. didn't William Wittman from here record/produce this? If so, massive respect to you. i've known more than a few metalheads that bow down to this song hahahhahaha
Hey, Didn't Eric Bazillion(Hooters) write that one?
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfavila
What about Time After Time by The Beloved, now THAT is one of my fave tracks ever. (not cheesy tho)

I'm amazed at some of the things people seem to think are cheesy.....Tears for Fears, Crowded House, Erasure, Kelis, Green Day :S These are decent, credible acts!

To me cheesy is The Birdie Song!
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman
I'm really pouring here: "Boys of Summer" - Henley. Not cheesy,
but macaroni perhaps?

ruudman
I love that song since I´ve been in Atlanta with a friend of mine. Still brings that feeling back heh That´s what good music is about !

Bill
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
what the hell, i'll fess up: i love nellie furtado. yep, her voice is beyond whiny. yep, yep, yep to all your objections. i still love her, and your grumpiness matters not.

also, i loved that kelis song, milkshake.

ashlee simpson, pieces of me.

and now, most recently, kelly clarkson, breakaway.

some things, there's just no explaining, y'know?

any attempts to deny your occasional love of high quality cheese will be met with a mildly derisive yet knowing laugh that you cannot hear but you will feel nonetheless. ha! heh

gregoire
del ubik
I write mainly banging Techno and have no shame in saying I like pop music. A catchy tune is a catchy tune. Its hard for me not to like any music regardless of genre. if somethings good and music is your blood your hearts going to tell you that....Im getting philisophical hehe...

For the last few years though I have really admired US pop music compared to British Pop. Ok, the Uk has its moments like Kylies latest stuff which was very good, (especially that track 'Slow" which was a very underground sounding track. take away the vocals and that could easily have been a borderline Tec House tune...well in fact I reckon it was.

But in general the US has produced the best pop for a number of years now. Ive heard far more innovating prodution techniques coming out of the US POP than uk pop. I could be wrong, but I imagine a lot of US pop producers are in their twenties?, and a lot of the Britush ones are in their 40's....Im not being ageist, but strip the vocals away from a lot of US pop and underneath lies some very underground material...well to my ears anyway

But the Inide guitar scene in the uk sounds a lot fresher to my ears than their us counterparts.

Just my opinion
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth80s
..... and Tears For Fears hve written some excellent songs even aside from the big hits.
It's way too hot outside and I need to let off steam, this thread is also way too polite.....

Man, do I HATE Tears for Fears! It reminds me of everything I always hated about the 80ies (a period I'm sorry to say overlapped with my coming-of-age)

Stupid haircuts/ Super nerddom, just thinking of the cover 'art' is giving me the shakes..../ Overblown 'Mega' productions that ruined digital reverb's reputation forever/ whiny, pseudo-sensitive 'lyrics', The Seeds of Love? My ass!
I remember working on a record with my band about 7 years ago when we tried to show the engineer in what direction we wanted to go sonically. I played him some Stones stuff, he was appalled! That's shrill sounding! We went into a discussion about what we consider to be 'great sounding'. He cited 'The seeds of love' as a prime example of 'great sound'.

Whoever it was who said: ,Anyone who remembers the 80ies unfortunately was there' was DEAD-ON. Truer words were never spoken!

I feel better now

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Old 28th July 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

Andi, you got me thinking. I should start a favorite 80's bands/music thread. Some of it was crap but some of it was pure gold and should not be pushed aside because it was from the 80's.
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher
Andi, you got me thinking. I should start a favorite 80's bands/music thread.
NOOOOO!!!

Are you a sadist?

A good moment to lay off this forum anyway, I spent way too much time here recently.

Or let's say: Any record from the 80ies that still hold up today is a GREAT record! For example, 'Remain in Light' by the Talking Heads is an album that I rediscovered in a big way recently. It's from 1980 I believe so chances are it was still recorded in the 70ies so actually I stand by my comments.....

....and hide......

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker
It's way too hot outside and I need to let off steam, this thread is also way too polite.....

Man, do I HATE Tears for Fears! It reminds me of everything I always hated about the 80ies (a period I'm sorry to say overlapped with my coming-of-age)

Stupid haircuts/ Super nerddom, just thinking of the cover 'art' is giving me the shakes..../ Overblown 'Mega' productions that ruined digital reverb's reputation forever/ whiny, pseudo-sensitive 'lyrics', The Seeds of Love? My ass!
I remember working on a record with my band about 7 years ago when we tried to show the engineer in what direction we wanted to go sonically. I played him some Stones stuff, he was appalled! That's shrill sounding! We went into a discussion about what we consider to be 'great sounding'. He cited 'The seeds of love' as a prime example of 'great sound'.

Whoever it was who said: ,Anyone who remembers the 80ies unfortunately was there' was DEAD-ON. Truer words were never spoken!

I feel better now

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Well all musical choice is taste, so I'm not looking to convert anyone, but I still think a lot of people confuse music with other factors. I'd add:

Don't forget TFF's first album, "The Hurting" -- if anything, it's a minimalist production and has arguably their best songwriting (their most recent album is also a contender in my book). I completely agree that "Songs From the Big Chair" is a grandiose 80s production that was overplayed in its day which is why i think it sounds the most dated of their albums and the one I listen to the least. "Sowing the Seeds of Love" is no more overproduced than "Magical Mystery Tour" -- it's obviously an homage to the Beatles.

I still hold that the problem most people have with 80s music has very little to do with the music and everything to do with other factors like those you mention: hair, image, clothing, production, cover art (come on -- that's a pretty weak basis for judging MUSIC) and maybe bad memories of their 80s youth. For me, they were good memories, so that alone might make the difference.

I still say that most of TFF's songs (you know, the things with musical notes and words and stuff) stand the test of time. Have you heard Gary Jules' 2001 remake of "Mad World" from the Donnie Darko Soundtrack? It's excellent -- proof that a great song was always there but that "modern production" could make it more relevant 20 years after the original.

If you want to be sure, give their new album a listen. Most people I play it for don't even realize its TFF until i tell them, but they all like it -- the songs are very strong and catchy, instrumented with real drums, real bass, lots of guitars and keys and it's not drenched in glossy reverb or overblown production.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002M5T34/

-Synth80s
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Any record from the 80ies that still hold up today is a GREAT record! For example, 'Remain in Light' by the Talking Heads is an album that I rediscovered in a big way recently. It's from 1980 I believe so chances are it was still recorded in the 70ies so actually I stand by my comments.....

....and hide......

Andi
www.doorknocker.ch
That's one of my all time favorite albums thanks to the additions of Brian Eno and Adrian Belew (it's in my top 15 list on the other thread). I think early 80s music was by far the most inventive and unpredictable because people were experimenting with the crossover of punk and new wave and, in some sense, recovering from the extended hangover that was disco.

Bands were also mixing in electronics in a way that hadn't been comprehended. Some did it well, some over-relied on them in lieu of songwriting (not unlike some unoriginal sample-based music today). As the 80s wore on, the mainstream electronic instruments became digital and sterile and I became less and less interested in what was going on, and so did the rest of the world it seems, hence alternative and grunge. Husker Du, Pixies, Nirvana, whatever -- the anti-80s even if they started in the 80s.

I think the most successful artists from the 80s mixed inventive electronics with good songwriting which, to beat a dead horse, still stands up today if you can overlook the production or instrumentation or whatever chafes you. INXS, Thomas Dolby, Elvis Costello, Talking Heads and others were good musicians and good songwriters. Look at Joe Jackson -- some probably consider him an 80s guy -- he's extremely talented and versatile, but often pigeonholed nonetheless (even though his two biggest albums were from the late 70s).

Ok, I'll shut up about it...for a while. heh

-Synth80s
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Head

haha well if cyndi lauper didn't write it, then the other person is a genius and also needs a pat on the back
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Yes ......he wrote a lot of nice songs......including..The God Song(Joan Osborne). I'm not a religious guy but I do love that song.
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

"Time After Time" is credited to Cyndi Lauper and Rob Hyman of the Hooters.

Not Bazillian.

Didn't the Hooters work as her backing band for a gig that was aired on TeeVee?

And the hooters, btw, were not cheesy.

"And We Danced" or "Satellite" could part your hair at 100 paces, live.
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Well believe it or not I've been wrong before. But Time After Time is a great song and you're right "And We Danced" is a monster...
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Frank and Moon's Valley Girl - Back in the day ...
I was working with a friend on a carpentry job when it first came out ... we'd crank the radio every time it came on - which was pretty frequent.

How 'bout the Bangles Walk Like an Egyptian. Overplayed to death, but fun at the time.
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by snedley
Oh yeah .......weren't the Beatles considered cheesy pop at first?
Guess you mean the eighties.
Everything "old" was considered cheesy at that time. Regardless of what, Beatles, Stones, Clapton everything.
Funny if you think of it that about everything in that decade itself was cheezy plastic except of a handful of acts like Police, Men At Work etc.

Someone mentioned Bonny Tylor ( or was that Taylor ?)
Boy, how they flooded the radio with that crap back then. 100 times a day. And while certainly a nice person her voice to me was nauseous and guess still would be while the music was hollow something.

I´d always be prepared to out myself for Cat Stevens, outstanding song writing and performance. maybe the most underestimated older artist today. I thought John Denver to have made some pretty stuff too.
And while no clue about Spice Girls repertoire, I had some girls here recording a cover of theirs and with that I found the original to have a great Spanish guitar and good song writing in there.

Oh, and of the olders again ... there was Nazareth, anybody remember them? Nice stuff I think.
- And Mamas And Papas had some very nice tunes just as well.

- And then Indian Reservation, don´t remember the group, but the song was great.
- And "You´re My Lady". The original from Peter Skellern was touching ( unlike his remakes ).
- Don´t know if Steve Miller would count as cheeze these days, but they made some great songs too.
- T-Rex had some groovy pieces.
- ELO had some good songs, Barclay James Harvest too.
And anyone recall Lake?

Elvis was cheeze and still is, no matter how glorified.

Ruphus
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruphus
I´d always be prepared to out myself for Cat Stevens, outstanding song writing and performance. maybe the most underestimated older artist today.
Before you lose your faith in mankind be informed that I bought my first Cat Stevens CD, the 'Teaser + the Firecat' remaster, the other day. Snatched it up for a staggering 9 Swiss francs (= 6 Euro) at the nearby 'Media Markt'.
Great record, cool production, naturally I knew some of the songs, didn't know that it was Paul Samwell-Smith, the old Yardbirds bass player, who produced all this. Chances are that I'll pick up the other early Stevens platters too. At that price it's a no-brainer.

What has this to do with the 80ies? Nothing but it was nice discussing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruphus
Elvis was cheeze and still is, no matter how glorified.Ruphus
I like cheese! I only got into Elvis in the last few years. It was seeing an early 70ies thing on TV, 'Aloha from Hawaii' I believe, that made me a fan.
Never saw anybody so INSIDE a performance and that was during his 'fall years'. He did it all, early rock and roll to 'My way', what a VOICE! Just incredible. It made me go back and really check out his stuff. He's the connsumate American artist and he was a glorious (to use the word) blend of art and commerce, grace and vulgarness, eloquence and tastelessness, much like America itself. I find it tremendously fascinating.

There's a great 3-CD box called 'Artist of the century' that serves as a fantastic introduction to the Elvis that mattered. Check it out!

No Elvis= No Beatles = WTF are we living for?

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I like cheese!
hey, me too!

And here's a picture to salute it (can't upload it here because of the share size):

http://www.cheeseboard.co.uk/cmfiles...0board%202.jpg
Click to get full screen; bon apetit!

ruudman
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Right on!

Despite being Swiss I must say that my favorite cheese is Italian,with mature Pecorino topping the list at the moment.

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search