The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Royer - oh yeah!
Old 24th July 2005
Gear Nut

Royer - oh yeah!

Received my free demo CD from Royer last week along with a brochure and letter with info on Royer mics. I even received a couple of emails from the guys at Royer to let me know that the CD was on the way - very pro guys - very pro.

The CD itself is great - giving you examples of every genre & situation, comparisons with other mics. Also demonstrates the different uses of the mics (turn it around to get a brighter sound), etc. In all a brilliant idea and a valuable resource - thanks to the cool dudes at Royer.

I have to demo or rent a R121 soon - definitely a contender for next mic on my list.
Old 24th July 2005
Gear Addict

Great mics, absolutely A1 sound for loads of applications & build quality is superb - I did break my 121, and the service was great too, not that you'd probably need it ;-)
Old 24th July 2005
Gear Nut

Actually, I think the orchestral recordings were amazing too - these were recorded using either a SF-24 or SF-12. Basically a whole orchestra recorded with one of these stereo mics and it sounded fuxing amazing. Though I believe these mics are a tad pricier they would definitely have to be checked out.

Hmm - I know this is a sensitive subject, but can someone recommend me a preamp...

(wtf was that - felt like a steel wok bashing my head in)

...that sounds good with a R121 for both vocals and recording percussion & acoustic guitar, and hey while I'm at it, also sounds good on electric guitar amps...?
Old 24th July 2005
Gear Nut

...male vocals (not very growly) and not more than £1000. (or about $1700 USD). Preferrably a dual pre - would an Amek DMCL do the job?
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekimeno
...male vocals (not very growly) and not more than £1000. (or about $1700 USD). Preferrably a dual pre - would an Amek DMCL do the job?
Not to open a ridiculous can of worms, but the new Neve Portico would probably suit you very well. Big sound, versatile, great HPF, two channels, 72dB of gain (great for ribbon mics), good price...and the company has EXCELLENT customer service. I don't have a Royer, but I do have the Portico - great box.
Old 24th July 2005
Gear Nut

Thanks chriscoleman, I have been eying out the Portico for a while now - the reaction here has been fantastic. I'd have to import one from the US in order to get one and the customs taxes here in the UK are shameful...

I did find this quote on the High End board regarding the DMCL, though:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang
With ribbon and SD mics very accurate and pleasant sounding.
A touch of compression is OK, too.

GYang
Old 24th July 2005

I'm a collossal fan of Royer, awesome mics, great guys. I think I've used my r-122s on EVERY session I've done since I got them!! Can't say enough good things about them.
Old 25th July 2005
Lowdbrent
Royers live?

Would you guys consider use the Royers or AEA's for live concert mic'ing of small string sections, choirs, etc?
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

I think there's a couple useful samples so I know what a human voice sounds like going throught the back of a Royer, and the Steve Albini recordings are enlightening, but on the whole, I didn't find the CD very useful. Nothing against Royer or anything. Props to them for offering it for free, and it totally shows they believe in their products, but for most of those samples, it is totally not how I record, and if I was getting some of those pop standard butt ass sounds for acoustic or electric guitar, dumb DW drums, then I would be very disappointed w/ myself.

The classical recording was indeed awesome. I would have liked to hear some more ambient recordings in general.
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Hey,

I received my Roger cd about a month ago. I also received two emails before I answer them about what I have experienced. I had work with the 122 but I wanted to listen to their orchestral examples with the stereo mics. I really liked the samples, but after I answer the email, they didn´t wrote me back.

I asked some questions about differences on the phantom mics over the non phantom mics.

PUPO
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

I've read so many posts about Royer vs. that or another, are there some real tasks that you can do with a 121 that you can't with an R84?
Gear Addict

How do the 121's sound on male vocals? I've heard mixed reviews about using them for vocals. Anyone tried it?
Old 27th July 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowdbrent
Would you guys consider use the Royers or AEA's for live concert mic'ing of small string sections, choirs, etc?
Yes, I guess you will be very happy. I just closed 3 live recording sessions only with choirs and orchestras, and they will be published on a magazine here in Italy. I made them with a GML 8302, two R-122 and a Tascam DV RA1000 in DSD. If you want, I can send some MP3 to listen to,
Luca
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscoleman
Not to open a ridiculous can of worms, but the new Neve Portico would probably suit you very well. Big sound, versatile, great HPF, two channels, 72dB of gain (great for ribbon mics), good price...and the company has EXCELLENT customer service. I don't have a Royer, but I do have the Portico - great box.
I have both a 5012 and an SF-12, and while I can't say enough good things about each one individually, I'm not sure the Portico is the pre I would buy specifically to complement the Royer. They do work well together for many applications (absolutely killer OH combo!) but I find that when doing vocals with both I have to crank the gain up to pretty close to max on the Portico, and there's just a hint of noise at those levels. I've been dropping the calibration level on my ADC, which allows me to run the Portico a bit quieter and avoid the problem, but it is something to be aware of before going this route. That said I've been doing lots of vox with one half SF-12 + Gefell UM-900 each into one channel of the 5012 (and the reduced calibration level at my AD) and I've been getting an incredible vocal tone - intimate, clear, detailed, smooth and oh so present. Yum!
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowdbrent
I use an SF-24 for classical work all the time. I use it as a main mic for orchestras, I just used it for some piano work in piano concertos, I've used it for brass ensemble recording, I used it as the main mic for a big choir CD I just recorded...

I love using it with Vac Rac Pres and A Designs pres- both the tube pres as well as the new Pacifica solid state.

--Ben
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear

SF24... yum
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekimeno
I did find this quote on the High End board regarding the DMCL, though:
i have the amek cib (same pre as the DMCL, except CIB is mono and with eq), and till i got a portico 5012, the cib was the mic pre that my royer 121 liked the most. now it prefers the portico. either one is terrific with ribbons.

best,
rlnyc.
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear

Are you all using the Royer 121 on acoustic guitars? If so, in a mono arrangement or as part of a stereo setup with a 2nd R121 or with some other mic?

John-
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear

Any 121<-->122 comparisons?
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio
I've read so many posts about Royer vs. that or another, are there some real tasks that you can do with a 121 that you can't with an R84?

i would NOT use the r84 for kick drum. i DO use the 121 for that.

best,
rlnyc.
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus
How do the 121's sound on male vocals? I've heard mixed reviews about using them for vocals. Anyone tried it?
i have used the 121 on male vocals and gotten great results. two wind screens and VERY close (4 inches). i also go through an la2a pretty heavy, but although it takes eq very well, i don't usually use any cause i don't like a hyped top end.

best,
rlnyc.
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz
Any 121<-->122 comparisons?
You'll need alot less gain when using the 122, and I would think it's more consistent sounding from preamp to preamp.

Don't think the the SF series are simply stereo version of the 121/122... they are definately NOT, they are completely different mics, much more linear in response for one thing...
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear
Preamp for R121

Daking would do it nicely. Lots of good gain.
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear

Any word using a 121 with the Chandler Channel Strip?
Old 27th July 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz
Any word using a 121 with the Chandler Channel Strip?
I try the 122 with a TG-2 for orchestral sound but I didn't like very much. I prefer a transformerless pre with the 122s
Luca
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheasy
I try the 122 with a TG-2 for orchestral sound but I didn't like very much. I prefer a transformerless pre with the 122s
Luca

that sure sounds like a lot of coloring. doesn't sound like i would like it for that application as well.
Old 18th August 2005
Gear Nut

R-122 + Neve = .....

Go for a pair of Neve's for an R-122 - I bought a pair of 1290 pre's (1073 pre w/out eq) from JLM audio and they make the Royer PURRRRRRRRR :^) No problems needing heaps of gain (of which the pre's have 75dB anyway) - they've been superb on many things. In no particular order, I've loved this combo on: airy female vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, percussion, piano, strings, room drums and brass. I keep discovering more and more instruments that are well-complimented by this natural and warm sounding signal chain when recording to 2" or ProTools (through Apogee or Crane Song A/Ds). Check out www.jlmaudio.com for more info on these and more awesome pre's. From memory the pair of Neve's cost me around $2000US.

Enjoy!
Bent
Old 18th August 2005
Gear Nut

I purchased an R121 a couple of weeks ago. Loving it.
I've been using the Cranesong Flamingo, Avalon 2022 and API 512 with it.
I'd like to try a 122 now to see the difference in gain structure/noise floor.
Old 18th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent sounds
Check out www.jlmaudio.com for more info on these and more awesome pre's.

Enjoy!
Bent
Nothing against the JLM Audio gear but that website could really use some updating.
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

Jamz - I use that combo all the time for electric guitars. It's great.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search