The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
krk vxt8 vs vxt6
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear
krk vxt8 vs vxt6

hello

i'm interested on those monitors.
now i got a pair of dynaudio bm5a and i think they are superior monitors then krk, from an euphonic point of view, but to me they are not so great as a reference.

they are full of details, too much, but they don't tell me which are the most important frequencies on a track.

i've tried the krk v6 (an old version) of some my friends and they are much more focused on the "important frequencies" and i mean.. low mids, mids, hi mids.

example:

kick, on the krk i hear immediately that the right freq to boost is around 130 hz, and a bit of 80 hz. on the dynaudio i think can be great if i boost at 100, or maybe at 90 too, but can be great also at 120 with a wide bell.. and i can boost 60hz a bit, or maybe 55, but is great at 50 too.. is deeper.. and wow 43 seems the magic freq..

another point is that on the krk i ear that 3 db on 80hz are enough and 5 at 130 can be enough, maybe 8.. but i'll see during the mix if i need more of them..

on the dyna i hear that i can push the 120 of 10 db with a wide band.. and 4 db narrow around 60/50hz.. but if i push 8 is wonderful.. and during the mix can also happen to put an eq on the drum bus that boosts other lows.. i can add so much lows that becomes deeper and deeper, while on the krk becomes muddier and muddier.

than if i go on a car seems that if i mixed on the dyna is much muddier, while if i mixed on the krk it's just ok.

now..in that example, part of that is reality, the rest is supposed.

i mean that i've mixed some times on the krk and i found myself immediately even if i was not in my room, while with the dyna i spend more time and the more the time i spend and the more i can add lows, and frequencies in general, without ear a "limit" without sound bad..

to me they are great as "big monitor" where i can hear every detail and i can hear the lows so extended without a subwoofer (even if they say up to 50hz) but not as reference.

i know also the ns10 and i like that kind of monitor, very hard, fast, precise. i've heard also the auratone.. on the ns10/auratone/krk v6 i tried i always heard 2/3 db or even less, very very very accurately.. while in the dyna not.

if i push 1 db on the auratone on the right freq.. are like 2 db on the ns and 3db on the krk, but like 5 db on the dynaudio... more or less.. ok? it's just an example.

what do you think about that?

and the question is.. which are the difference between the vxt6 and vxt8? what i want to know is .. the vxt8 are too much "boomy" and more uncontrolled on the lows? the vxt6 has less lows so maybe they are faster and more controlled?

thanks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search