The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
d112 on brass?
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

d112 on brass?

I have heard of some using a d112 on brass. The audix d6 seems to be the step up from the d112, has anyone tried it on brass?
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

I personally would prefer to use a more natural/neutral sounding mic for brass..
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

Funny, but most people only use the things on kick and bass, but the D112 (used, but don't have the D6) sounds nice on alot of sources... it might surprise some on guitar cabs, and I've even tried it on vocals (experimenting... everyone should indulge) and the results weren't too bad.
Old 10th April 2009
I'd rather use a nice ribbon...I find the D112 doesn't work that great for bass guitar, or bass instruments in general - the "scooped" sound isn't generally what I'd look for in a bass amp sound.

The D6 isn't an "upgrade" from the D112, just like pepsi isn't upgraded coke.

On a slightly offbeat note, has anyone seen the posters for the Brit movie "The Boat that Rocked"? About radio djs....Nick frost is on the poster talking into a D12! I maybe ignorant here, but I don't think a D12 has EVER been used as a radio announcers mic...strange choice for publicity shots really, when there's so many weird and wonderful choices that are also artistically correct (RE20, SM7, Coles Ribbons etc) - you'd have thought the props department might have checked with someone knowledgeable?!
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

I used to do a weekly show at a tiny community radio station, and the mics they had were D12's..
Old 10th April 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by beebay007 View Post
I personally would prefer to use a more natural/neutral sounding mic for brass..
depends.

for example, yesterday I used:

three coles 4038s on trumpets, three U67s on trombones and four u47s on horns with 2 U87s for the rears. Mixed bag eh?
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

I have used a D112 on a really "blatty" trombone before.

It was somewhat of an experiment and I still have the mixes from circa '89.
I can't recall if it was my final choice or not.
Probably not.
I can recall the session players looking at it with a questioning eye.
They were used to U87s which is what most of the Dallas area jingle houses used.
You know the old drill.... U87s on everything.... it's a safe bet.

We tried them on Marshall amps a few times, but it was no good.
Next....

I do recall putting a D12 on a vocal as an experiment the first time I had one come in the door.
We had U87s, 47 FETs, 421s, 441s, 57s, RE20s and such, but no AKGs then (1980.)

The studio got a 414 and a D12 in the same day and I was un-familiar with both mics.
We put up the 414 first and because it sounded good we figured "what the hell?" and put up the D12.
Needless to say, we didn't use it!
It sounds pretty "wooly" on a vocal!
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Head

I know this seems strong and higly biased... But, if the D112 were to be wiped from the face of the earth... Wouldnt bother me one bit. I find its never the "best" mic for anything. We have one at work and i burried it in a pile somewhere and took it off our inventory. LoL!

Josh

dfegad
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Addict

Funny to see this. I have been using that thing for tuba and euphonium for a few years now if I want attack. It really is the only thing I like that mic for. If I hadn't found out I like it on low end brass, it would be in the trash.
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

They are OK for an inside the drum kick mic.

I have used worse.
MUCH worse!
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Nut

Used it on the Euphonium on the studio tracks here:

Hot Politics on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

....the player has quite a dynamic range and I was pleased with the outcome.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search