The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moving Pro tools Hd from a G4 to G5?
Old 10th April 2009
  #1
Lives for gear
 
glenn Taylor's Avatar
 

Moving Pro tools Hd from a G4 to G5?

I want to get with it! My Pro Tools HD2 on my old G4 dual 867 is getting old. Does anyone know the best way to move pro tools from G4 to a new G5. My pro tools version is TDM 7.4.
Glenn.

Last edited by glenn Taylor; 10th April 2009 at 04:49 AM.. Reason: I am a idiot!!
Old 10th April 2009
  #2
3 options:

1 - Buy an older g5 with PCI slots. Tat's it.

2 - Buy a newer G5/Mac Pro with PCIe slots, and get a magma chassis so you can still use your cards.

3 - buy a newer G5/Mac Pro with PCIe slots, and do the digi exchange to swap your PCI cards for PCIe Accel cards.
Old 10th April 2009
  #3
Lives for gear
 
The MPCist's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
3 options:

1 - Buy an older g5 with PCI slots. Tat's it.

2 - Buy a newer G5/Mac Pro with PCIe slots, and get a magma chassis so you can still use your cards.

3 - buy a newer G5/Mac Pro with PCIe slots, and do the digi exchange to swap your PCI cards for PCIe Accel cards.
Definitely 1 or 3. HD PCIe cards are getting cheaper on the net too....
Old 10th April 2009
  #4
Ngr
Gear Maniac
 
Ngr's Avatar
 

another option (much cheaper) is to keep your G4 and upgrade the processor (if your model is upgradable) with a dual 1.8 GHz.
look here, sonnettech.com
Old 10th April 2009
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngr View Post
another option (much cheaper) is to keep your G4 and upgrade the processor (if your model is upgradable) with a dual 1.8 GHz.
look here, sonnettech.com
which would make your mac non-digi qualified, and thus mean your professional studio rig had no tech support.

No thanks - very bad course of action if you ask me. plus how much cheaper would it be than buying a 2nd hand G5, and selling the G4 on for a few notes?
Old 10th April 2009
  #6
Lives for gear
 
glenn Taylor's Avatar
 

Do I re load pro tools to a new hard in the g5 or do I pull out the hard drive on the g4 and load it in the g5? The HD system I have is a pre accel pci card system.
GT.
Old 10th April 2009
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn Taylor View Post
Do I re load pro tools to a new hard in the g5 or do I pull out the hard drive on the g4 and load it in the g5? The HD system I have is a pre accel pci card system.
GT.
You do an install from scratch - new system disk etc. All the hardware will be different.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Red Dog / So Much Gear, So Little Time
6
Pendularis / Music Computers
2
maria / Post Production forum
8
introvert / Post Production forum
11
Rufuss Sewell / High End
12

Forum Jump
Forum Jump